World Cup - Usa

Jingthing

What a fantastic victory last night against Algeria. Leaving the group phase as the leader of the group, better than ho hum jolly old England.

Of course, with all the USA scoring opportunities, the score should have been more like 5-0 rather than 1-0 and that is concerning for the future.

On to the Ghana game.

It's great that the USA is finally in the international swing of things in the world of FUTBALL.

One pet peeve, I would really like to see US people over time stop using the archaic, provincial term SOCCER. It makes us look like rubes, and of course, we are anything but ...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep JT, all good. Secretly I bet the whole football world is wishing you lot stick to baseball, basketball, NFL football and that circular thing called NASCAR. Who knows, maybe one day you win the world cup and then you can truly call yourselves WORLD champions. 

America have played well so far. No great surprise really as they have been a good team for some years now.

I wonder if winning a World Cup would be enough to get America interested in the sport and do what David Beckham has failed to?

Of course some day the USA will win the World Cup. It is inevitable, especially with our huge pool of Latino origin people. Dream final -- Brasil vs. USA.

Brasil is spelled with a Z  JT. 

Not in Brasil, it's not.

We are not in Brazil JT. 

America have played well so far. No great surprise really as they have been a good team for some years now.

I wonder if winning a World Cup would be enough to get America interested in the sport and do what David Beckham has failed to?

i don't think it ever will, no. soccer will always be viewed as a sport for women and kids in america and fans of baseball, gridiron and basketball will never really understand the concept of a good, entertaining nil-nil draw.

i don't think it ever will, no. soccer will always be viewed as a sport for women and kids in america and fans of baseball, gridiron and basketball will never really understand the concept of a good, entertaining nil-nil draw.

The reason you are wrong -- LATINOS. And the Latino-ization of USA culture.

Neither have I Stevie, must be a LP thing circa 2008-2009 season  :lol:

I'm sorry to say that I tried to get my friend's back in the USA interested in the world cup.

I invited about 40 of them to a fantasy league i started.

Only 3 joined and one was my brother who lives in Brazil. (or Brasil for those who prefer that spelling)

I had many of the comments from them putting down the sport. (and I will agree that the faking of injuries gets a little old after a while)

I think it will take another generation or two before it becomes a popular sport in the US.

i read that there are 60,000,000 americans participating in football (soccer) today. It is a natural, cost effective replacement for grid iron as the quipment cost is a foot ball, size is not an issue, and health and saftey is great for the kids, will it ever be in the top 3 sports for the yanks, doubt it but it will be in the same rank as track and field, swimming, and ahead of rugby.

rubbish. it will never be regarded in america with the same importance as baseball, basketball or gridiron. not in a million years.

Any US fans watching in any specific pubs/locations for this saturday game?

I've managed to convince a few friends to watch the last night game at the Man U club (of all places). What a hoot that was.. I was stressed out until the last minute. Great experience. Unfortunately the next US game against Ghana is at 1:30am so I don't think alot of my friends will come. It'll just be me and another friend.

I was just wondering if there's a specific location where alot of US fans will concentrate. With some alcohol of course.

i read that there are 60,000,000 americans participating in football (soccer) today.  It is a natural, cost effective replacement for grid iron as the quipment cost is a foot ball, size is not an issue, and health and saftey is great for the kids, will it ever be in the top 3 sports for the yanks, doubt it but it will be in the same rank as track and field, swimming, and ahead of rugby.

So as America gets poorer, the better it will get at football. It's no wonder the UK is pretty good at it. 

Neither have I Stevie, must be a LP thing circa 2008-2009 season :lol:

don't worry james, i've long accepted that you don't understand the concept of football let alone a good nil-nil draw. ;)

i read that there are 60,000,000 americans participating in football (soccer) today. It is a natural, cost effective replacement for grid iron as the quipment cost is a foot ball, size is not an issue, and health and saftey is great for the kids, will it ever be in the top 3 sports for the yanks, doubt it but it will be in the same rank as track and field, swimming, and ahead of rugby.

oh yeah, i agree that it's popular as a participation sport and that's great. there are also more USA fans out in south africa watching than from any other nation. it'll never rate as high as the big 3 in the US as a spectator sport though.

The USA is so big it could be the number 4 sport and still be a huge thing. Also, basketball and American football are for FREAKS of nature. Futball, like baseball, is much more naturally American in the breadth of who can potentially play it well.

Neither have I Stevie, must be a LP thing circa 2008-2009 season :lol:

don't worry james, i've long accepted that you don't understand the concept of football let alone a good nil-nil draw. ;)

oh yeah, i agree that it's popular as a participation sport and that's great. there are also more USA fans out in south africa watching than from any other nation. it'll never rate as high as the big 3 in the US as a spectator sport though.

Stevie, regarding your point above that I have bolded, a good nil nil draw is like having a fantastic wet dream without the wet.

Edited by bkkjames

Stevie, regarding your point above that I have bolded, a good nil nil draw is like having a fantastic wet dream without the wet.

bad analogy that james man. you can have a good nil-nil draw in football just as you can have a great test match in cricket which lasts five days and ends in a draw.

bad analogy that james man. you can have a good nil-nil draw in football just as you can have a great test match in cricket which lasts five days and ends in a draw.

Not sure its a good analogy either Stevie to offer cricket as an example to a Canadian!

The American MLS Seattle Sounders Football Club home attendance averaged 37,000 fans a match last season. Not bad for a second tier sport. The majority of fans were not Latinos but rather people of European and African ancestry. The American kids who began playing soccer 20 years ago are now becoming young adults and will provide an enormous pool of fans in the future. I am an avid baseball and American football fan and enjoy basketball during the playoffs. I also like soccer and hockey. It's all good.

Edited by Groongthep
  • Like 1

Mate, some of us haven't had lunch yet.:)

French fries without the ketchup might have been a more tasteful analogy and one that our friends across the pond could relate to.

Of course some day the USA will win the World Cup. It is inevitable, especially with our huge pool of Latino origin people. Dream final -- Brasil vs. USA.

Yes and on that thought it is a wonder why not so many Latinos playing and even viewing as even in Florida where the Hispanic population is extremely high there hasn't been much support by the community nor much success and this team is mostly comprised of players of African heritage only one generation removed, seems they've made more strides in less time, very curious?

It wasn't even that long ago when I remember if a player was of African heritage he was not even from the states but from Europe somewhere....It wasn't until much later in my playing career that we had any black players as most were heavily into basketball and such and considered SOCCER ;):whistling: less of a macho sport and wouldn't be caught dead playing it out of peer pressure as much as anything else.. Good to see now making such a strong contribution to our success..

It is already more popular then that you don't hear about those sports except on special occasions or events and Soccer is far more mainstream then that...

The USA is so big it could be the number 4 sport and still be a huge thing. Also, basketball and American football are for FREAKS of nature. Futball, like baseball, is much more naturally American in the breadth of who can potentially play it well.

Completely agree!! It also doesn't need to compete as it is a completely different sport and no reason just as many fans of baseball also like another sport such as football they can like and support soccer just as well..

Yes and on that thought it is a wonder why not so many Latinos playing and even viewing as even in Florida where the Hispanic population is extremely high there hasn't been much support by the community nor much success and this team is mostly comprised of players of African heritage only one generation removed, seems they've made more strides in less time, very curious?

It wasn't even that long ago when I remember if a player was of African heritage he was not even from the states but from Europe somewhere....It wasn't until much later in my playing career that we had any black players as most were heavily into basketball and such and considered SOCCER ;):whistling: less of a macho sport and wouldn't be caught dead playing it out of peer pressure as much as anything else.. Good to see now making such a strong contribution to our success..

Just think you could play Uruguay or S Korea if you beat Ghana so it really does mean it is a World Cup that your country is involved in maybe most of the American population needs time to find its identity first before they can understand the concept of a World cup involving other countries?

Big is not always better,Quality does not come from quantity.

Just an observation and glad you found the thread ;)