World Cup - Usa

Jingthing

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure it's a fad! just like here ;)

Seems they forgot all about their thread.......how about telling us your plans for the next World Cup?.....any exciting new players .....maybe a new coaching philosophy and tactics....??

Seems they forgot all about their thread.......how about telling us your plans for the next World Cup?.....any exciting new players .....maybe a new coaching philosophy and tactics....??

Unlike some of the older teams, most of our team wasn't even on the radar 12 months ago. Many of them still aren't. :)

btw - the England thread has turned into a discusson about cheating and nothing about the England team.

Edited by koheesti

Unlike some of the older teams, most of our team wasn't even on the radar 12 months ago. Many of them still aren't. :)

btw - the England thread has turned into a discusson about cheating and nothing about the England team.

Forget the England thread koheesti.....my team has no thread I've ever seen.....maybe Jockstar closed it out of respect for previous teams I dunno..:ermm:

Anyway what's the chances of your side progressing further next time around?....any emerging youth players etc....?

Forget the England thread koheesti.....my team has no thread I've ever seen.....maybe Jockstar closed it out of respect for previous teams I dunno..:ermm:

Anyway what's the chances of your side progressing further next time around?....any emerging youth players etc....?

There is a great possibility to advance further next time. The USA is one of those countries that is getting better each World Cup. We did well this year despite not having any real world class stars and a roster filled mostly with unknowns (it worked great in 1980 Winter Olympic ice hockey). If we can get Ghana out of our way there's no telling how far we might go. :)

Do I know the names of any emerging young players? No. I don't like soccer enough to follow it that closely from so many timezones away. When I lived in DC, I went to some games, the MSL's DC United, MSL All Stars v. Team USA, Team USA v. Honduras (they had more supporters than the local team). But watching replays on TV don't do it for me - in any sport. Nowadays, the only time I enjoy watching football is either the World Cup or UEFA Euro championship. Country against country, like the Olympics. I'll watch Olympic cross country skiing, track and field, etc but don't care the rest of the time and couldn't tell you who might be the favorite at the next games 4 years away.

It''s been an interesting World Cup with some of the so called world class players massively underperforming....top sides crashing out early with very poor looking teams. USA definitely looked better than I've seen before but lacking a bit in creative midfield and maybe a better class of striker could have gone further. Got as far as you deserved I thought.

Maybe some better players will emerrge for the next one....it can't do your league any harm to have the likes of Beckham and seemingly Henry there next season. No doubt more will follow. Interesting times for the US game....

Edited by smokie36

It''s been an interesting World Cup with some of the so called world class players massively underperforming....top sides crashing out early with very poor looking teams. USA definitely looked better than I've seen before but lacking a bit in creative midfield and maybe a better class of striker could have gone further. Got as far as you deserved I thought.

Maybe some better players will emerrge for the next one....it can't do your league any harm to have the likes of Beckham and seemingly Henry there next season. No doubt more will follow. Interesting times for the US game....

I agree. Right now, USA Soccer could really use someone who strikes fear into the opposing keeper everytime he gets the ball. We don't have that and it is one obstacle to the sport getting more fans back home. I think to get NEW fans of almost any sport you need some action to draw them in. Believe it or not, an American Football game is even more fun for a newbie to watch when it's 38-35 than 6-3.

Do people realize that the USA made the semi-finals and placed third in the world's first world cup (Uruguay, 1930, Uruguay won)? Why do commentators say the recent results are the best the USA has ever done?

http://www.planetwor.../wc30index.html

post-37101-025796900 1278564716_thumb.jp

1930 USA team

This was the 1st WC no one really cared less about it and almost all major European nations didnt turn up.

I am aware of the minimal participation (13 countries total I think), but it is still recorded officially as the first world cup. It had to start somewhere and to USA supporters it surely must be of interest that we peaked then!

Edited by Jingthing

This was the 1st WC no one really cared less about it and almost all major European nations didnt turn up.

Right, and the spectators weren't allowed to carry guns ( but than, this inconvenience was only for the final match :blink: ).

Soccer has already caught on in the USA. This latest world cup sealed the deal. The USA is now fully engaged in this sport. It's about time.

Even on CNN they are talking about football sometimes and meaning football, not the other game that is played with the hands but still in some places called football.

Yeah, I have noticed a subtle shift towards using the F word more. In the media, if you are clearly showing the sport you are talking about there is little confusion possible if you use the F word unless you are blind.

Edited by Jingthing

Wasn't sure where to post this one, new thread in football forum, gay forum, women's forum, etc. But since this is about USA people appreciating the hot bodies of the football players, some for the first time, hey maybe this is the key to push football into the top tiers of American sports consciousness.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2010/07/09/ST2010070903504.html

End of the World Cup means a sad farewell -- to hot soccer bods

If there is one thing that we have learned this past month (besides the offside rule, which, upon finally understanding, we decided was stupid), it is this: Soccer players? So hot!

Au revoir, Yoann Gourcuff, you of the French smolder. Adeus, Cristiano Ronaldo, you and your Armani underwear ads. Vaarwel, Robin Van Persie -- but first, may we gently caress your chin dimple with our forefinger?

"They're so beautiful," says Esther Song, an American University student/soccer fan. "There's a nice balance between the prissy, girly-looking male models in the Abercrombie & Fitch ads and the really burly football/hockey player. . . . They are the perfect middle ground."

Do people realize that the USA made the semi-finals and placed third in the world's first world cup (Uruguay, 1930, Uruguay won)? Why do commentators say the recent results are the best the USA has ever done?

1930 USA team

Yeah, "real" World Cup history didn't start until 1966.

1930 USA team

The real fun started in 1967....

1930 USA team

The real fun started in 1967....

And why would that be smokie me old mate? :whistling: :whistling:

Boring is a baseball game between two division bottom dwellers that takes 27 innings to complete JT. 

You clearly don't understand baseball ...

Correct I only played it for 20 years JT.

Curious, now that the WC is over, will you hang around the Football forum trying to Americanize it or shall we just hold your seat until 2014? 

I was joking about the baseball, dude. In any case, going to a baseball game is an act of old fashioned cultural Americanism, and whether your team is actually in the running isn't always that important. 27 innings is pushing it though. Extra inning games can be quite exciting though. I can't watch cricket though, no desire to understand it either.

I have grown more interested in futball and will check whether I can watch some US pro soccer here in Thailand (I have access to US tv). I won't be following non-US pro teams though. Can't really relate to that.

I was joking about the baseball, dude. In any case, going to a baseball game is an act of old fashioned cultural Americanism, and whether your team is actually in the running isn't always that important. 27 innings is pushing it though. Extra inning games can be quite exciting though. I can't watch cricket though, no desire to understand it either.

I have grown more interested in futball and will check whether I can watch some US pro soccer here in Thailand (I have access to US tv). I won't be following non-US pro teams though. Can't really relate to that.

What kind of Patriot are you?  :D

Some good US born players in the BPL. Friedel, Dempsey, Howard - I am sure there are more.