Moving To Chang Rai

thehips

Hey all.

New to here. I am moving to Chang Rai for a year with my wife early next year, possibly in Jan or feb. I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice.

I visited there once and my wife wants to go to her village which i know is near that famous temple with the dragons and people coming out of the ground(excuse my ignorance i cant recall what it is called)!

Firstly im torn between buying or renting a house, she believes i can get a house out there for 7,000-10,000e i was wondering if anyone knows if that is possible?

I was also looking to know the general cost of living. I lived in chang mai cheap enough for two months before, i presume i can do the same there?

I am eager to keep busy too, maybe join a local sports team- are there football leagues or anything like that?

I would also like to learn the language does anyone know of any courses availble?

I also need good internet has anyone any advice on that front. its very important to my work that i get a decent conection?

I wouldnt have an adversion to working, id do anything just to set an example to the missus(she thought it was 'impossible' to work here and that i would suffer the same fate there)

i know the questions are general but any help you can give me would be great.

thanks in advance

Cost of living here should be equal to, or less than, CM.

No idea which village you are referring to. Kindly ask your wife for the name. We have lots of dragons around here and people popping up out of the ground at every turn, according to the locals. I think I may have stepped on one just last night.

Decent Internet available here, but depends on your location. Clarify.

Local sports league- Only Farang sport league I know of here is the TV forum league where we pick on each other. After you have posted some more, we can decide which team you will be on and we will assign you a position on that team. Which are you: a coffee drinker or a beer drinker? Are you reformed?

Which language? I don't speak Thai but I get plenty tickled at the locals who cannot talk with each other without lots of confusion because he/ she isn't speaking the "right" Thai language. But yes, there are language classes and tutors available.

You can rent a decent place for 7000 to 10,000 a month. I have no idea if you can BUY a house in that village for 7,000 to 10,000. Please clarify your question.

I suspect the temple with people coming out of the ground is the famous White one. There is an artist's depiction of people trying to escape from hel_l there.

7000 to 10,000e I assume is Euros? Looking at the high end the OP will only get something fairly basic for 400,000 baht.

To get good internet it helps to have the phone on, I'm quite happy with mine for 800B a month. Wireless and satellite is available.

Cost of living is like the "how long is a piece of string" question. The key issue is rent, and of course running a car.

I run a car and live comfortable on around 20-25,000B a month but I don't pay rent.

Ask and ye shall receive.

IMG_0283.jpg

My Mrs takes considerable notice of what I'm doing, particularly if she thinks I'm up to something. I'll admit that good works tend not to receive the recognition they deserve though, but I suspect that's more of a female thing than Thai.

IMG_0283.jpg

My Mrs takes considerable notice of what I'm doing, particularly if she thinks I'm up to something. I'll admit that good works tend not to receive the recognition they deserve though, but I suspect that's more of a female thing than Thai.

Wow and i thought i was the only one that was up to not good :lol:

IMG_0283.jpg

thats the temple!! Thats scary looking if you ask me!!!

thanks lads!

I just noticed that there is one foot amongst all those hands. :unsure:

I guess some of us have a lot of time on our hands :whistling:

Ahh. Just noticed it.

There was also just one painted finger nail but I can't see it in the photo

Thought I might try and get this topic back on topic. Firstly if you are only going to be here for a year as you say, then I would recommend renting. You will need that time to decide which location is best for you, if you decide to stay longer.

I know some middle age farangs who are always looking for willing a able lads to help them injure themselves on the football field in games with other local amateur teams.

Perhaps some of our newer members could actually contribute here. As a newbie, what is your experience with renting or what do you find you are spending most of your money on? Established old-timers often have a very different perspective on things, so this is a case where newcomers could help each other and give back to the forum.

I can't see buying for one year. In my opinion, housing is overpriced right now and a guy could get stuck pretty bad when it is time to sell a year later, especially if he HAS to sell quickly. Then again, if you find a house that is fairly or cheaply priced, you could come out ahead. I just think with the housing market the way it is, it is a bad idea to buy for short term. It seems to me that they are building new ones left and right but the used ones aren't selling. Seems there is more money available for buying new than buying old, probably because the builders are working harder to maintain their financing networks. But, I'm not all that educated in the housing markets here. That is just how things appear to me with what I hear, see and overhear.

I think the OP will find Internet available in that village but I think ImageDude has a friend in that village and maybe he can verify for us that it is available. If not, CAT CDMA will work in that village.

Thought I might try and get this topic back on topic. Firstly if you are only going to be here for a year as you say, then I would recommend renting. You will need that time to decide which location is best for you, if you decide to stay longer.

I know some middle age farangs who are always looking for willing a able lads to help them injure themselves on the football field in games with other local amateur teams.

Perhaps some of our newer members could actually contribute here. As a newbie, what is your experience with renting or what do you find you are spending most of your money on? Established old-timers often have a very different perspective on things, so this is a case where newcomers could help each other and give back to the forum.

As a Newbi here (moved here from Mae Rim-CM 8mo ago) I find the cost of living to be at least 25% less than the greater Chiang Mai area. We lived in CM area for 4 years.

I looked at more than 30 rental properties from 7500tb. to 25000 here in Chiang Rai before finding what I wanted. The higher priced rentals were for the most part wishful thinking and the lower end was really a rough lot.

There were a noticeable amount of owners in the higher end that were opportunist types (higher price etc) once they saw I had a new vehicle and my fair farang complexion. I do not feel this is unfair to mention as it happened that the price went up or the services or furnishings included went their way (the owners) on at least 5 occasions when I appeared.

We settled on a very nice home with a swimming pool that would have easily cost 20000tb. in CM at 30% less than that.

We find the wholesale fruit and vegetable markets (across from Big C and near the new bus terminal off Hwy 1) a real deal at better than 50% less than we paid at the wholesale market in CM adjacent to the US consulate.

The distance to drive for markets etc is much less here in CR so fuel is less.

All in all I feel Chiang Rai is less frenetic - polluted and more friendly than CM. We are here to stay and saving quite a bit as we keep a running budget that reflects 28% less year over year month over month from Chiang Mai. I must say we eat fresher and better food here and I am not tempted to go to the Rim Ping market in CM that ruins anyone's budget. LOL

I must say, I am impressed with some of our new contributors. :)

Really VF? I am surprised, you normally berate anyone that mentions saving money or cutting costs ;)

Only when they get off topic my dear Sky, only when they get off topic. ;) Standards must be upheld. But really, it is nice to have some new blood around here, making real contributions. :) That goes for all of you relative newcomers.

Edited by villagefarang

Really VF? I am surprised, you normally berate anyone that mentions saving money or cutting costs ;)

Only when they get off topic my dear Sky, only when they get off topic. ;) Standards must be upheld. But really, it is nice to have some new blood around here, making real contributions. :) That goes for all of you relative newcomers.

OK, thanks for explaining, I'll try and remember that in the future, wouldn't want to be reprimanded again! ;)

I'm more of a reader than a writer myself and I agree with you, it's been nice to get the views, opinions and introductions of quite a few new members who have contributed recently, is it a case of folk already here deciding to get involved more or more people joining us in The Rai?

OK, thanks for explaining, I'll try and remember that in the future, wouldn't want to be reprimanded again! ;)

I'm more of a reader than a writer myself and I agree with you, it's been nice to get the views, opinions and introductions of quite a few new members who have contributed recently, is it a case of folk already here deciding to get involved more or more people joining us in The Rai?

I would say it is a bit of both... Now wait just one minute, I thought it was due entirely to my diligent arm twisting, foul language, berating, and threatening behavior. :annoyed: What does one have to do around here to get any credit? ;)

Shouldn't have mentioned he had a pool, he'll have Jubby calling in for beer or coffee every day. :lol:

Pool? Did I say pool? what I meant was tool the owner has included many a tool for landscaping use. I have hedge trimmers shovels rakes a mango picker 2 buckets and a hoe.

Thanks for the comments ...its nice to be welcomed by you all.

mello

Shouldn't have mentioned he had a pool, he'll have Jubby calling in for beer or coffee every day. :lol:

Do I need to bring my own Towel and do you have facilities for the children ? :rolleyes: