Ticks

sceadugenga

A doggy owner thread.

It's the worst year for ticks I can remember, the Mrs gets two or three off the dog every night, usually between his toes or in the thick fur around his neck.

My neighbour with two German shepherds and a Saint Bernard is going nuts. He took them into town for some mysterious injections yesterday.

They seem to come from the long grass, my dogs a bit shy and likes to back into foliage to partake of his constitutional.

I'm thinking of starting him on a product called "Frontline" again, it worked quite well last year until my mother in law tipped the whole bottle on the verminous soi dog that hangs around her house.

I bought a large bottle in Australia. 250ml, off a vet friend of mine but, as I said, the MIL wasted it.

I was buying a new dog collar at the animal hospital shop last week and saw that they had small bottles (50ml?) for about 300B.

I was told you only spray the dog behind the shoulders but the instructions clearly say to do the whole dog. :unsure:

Frontline is a great product.

I did try the injections on my dogs in the old country and they seemed to work well but Frontline was more convenient for me to administer.

I haven't seen Frontline here but apparently you know where to find it. I treat this "borrowed" dog with small bottles of some product that I get at the pet shop supply store near the corner of Hong Lee and the old CM highway. It works okay but wears off fast. Only lasts about two weeks.

Anyway, every dog deserves to be free of the ticks and the fleas.

I haven't seen a good yard treatment here. I treated my lawn with diazinon granules in the old country and it held off the ticks, chiggers and most other insects for a year at a time. But if the dogs leave the treated area, then they themselves need to be treated.

I bought a large bottle in Australia. 250ml, off a vet friend of mine but, as I said, the MIL wasted it.

I was buying a new dog collar at the animal hospital shop last week and saw that they had small bottles (50ml?) for about 300B.

I was told you only spray the dog behind the shoulders but the instructions clearly say to do the whole dog. :unsure:

You pour it on the top of the dogs neck area, on the skin as opposed to on the fur. That area is hard for the dog to get at and like said, it lasts for a month or two.

Dont wash the dog for a few days to give the stuff chance to get into the bloodstream.

I have heard of a Thai agricultural product called 'Ascend(in Thai)' that is supposed to be good, but never tried it. Its added to water when bathing the dog.

There are two Frontlines. The concentrate which is applied to the skin between the shoulder blades and a sprayon which I am guessing you may have had. The concentrate is the way to go IMHO. Dosage size is according to body weight .

FYI The concentrate is spread by the oil glands not blood stream so the fleas and ticks do not have to bite the animal.

"FRONTLINE Top Spot and Plus spread over the pet's body by a process called translocation. When applied, these products are gradually dispersed by the pet's natural oils, collecting in the oil glands in the skin. It is then "wicked" onto the hair over the next 30 days. The translocation process can take up to 24 hours to complete".

Edited by scorpio1945

I brought over from the UK a tick and fly collar for my dog, and it really has been affective, hardly a tick on either dog or new puppy. Previous years we've had a plague of the little bighters! It's supposed to be effective for 4 months.

Frontline is a great product.

I did try the injections on my dogs in the old country and they seemed to work well but Frontline was more convenient for me to administer.

I haven't seen Frontline here but apparently you know where to find it. I treat this "borrowed" dog with small bottles of some product that I get at the pet shop supply store near the corner of Hong Lee and the old CM highway. It works okay but wears off fast. Only lasts about two weeks.

Anyway, every dog deserves to be free of the ticks and the fleas.

I haven't seen a good yard treatment here. I treated my lawn with diazinon granules in the old country and it held off the ticks, chiggers and most other insects for a year at a time. But if the dogs leave the treated area, then they themselves need to be treated.

You can buy Frontline From Sahamit animal hospital at Sahamit road, for direction, from airport, cross the fly over bridge, keep left, pass the new Mitsubishi service center(Former ATV shop), turn left, go straight 30m, the shop is on the right. 3 size...small, medium and big(20-40kg) the big size cost 280 THB but i don't buy there anymore ever since i got it for 250 THB at Ban Du market, i've 3 dogs so the saving and shorter trips matters...the vet shop at Ban Du is located 3-4 shop before Bangkok Bank Ban Du branch....There is another brand for sale beside Frontline..."Revolution"... works equally well.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Now I did set off to Ban Du today but stopped to say hi to a friend in his office in the front window of the Shung Coffee Shop.

He told me about this place a short distance from the Top supermarket mall that sells better products than Frontline. (He has dogs himself).

So I checked it out and the guy there showed me what he had, an under-the-counter range, and I bought a product called Biomectin-P5000, a single serve sachet for 50B to be added to food. Lasts one month.

He also had vials of concentrate to be applied behind the dogs neck starting at 35B for a small dog.

The shop carries a good range of dog food, collars, shampoos etc.

Now I did set off to Ban Du today but stopped to say hi to a friend in his office in the front window of the Shung Coffee Shop.

He told me about this place a short distance from the Top supermarket mall that sells better products than Frontline. (He has dogs himself).

So I checked it out and the guy there showed me what he had, an under-the-counter range, and I bought a product called Biomectin-P5000, a single serve sachet for 50B to be added to food. Lasts one month.

He also had vials of concentrate to be applied behind the dogs neck starting at 35B for a small dog.

The shop carries a good range of dog food, collars, shampoos etc.

i'll ask you again after a month's time for its effectiveness, because i'm going ballistic over the ticks and mites problem i've with my dogs this month(no fleas as my dogs don't get to roam with other dogs outside the house, front gate always close), like you've said this year infestation's really bad, even after i spay the whole enviroment, inside and outside of the house to control the adult ticks and mites which are ready to lay their eggs ( adult ticks and mites don't lay eggs on the host). Are those meds you've got tested and certified? any side effects?

Edited by RedBullHorn

Are those meds you've got tested and certified? any side effects?

Who knows. I've been looking for the oral one for a while as I used it in Australia and it was very effective with fleas.

I'll launch it today. Watch this space.

Who knows. I've been looking for the oral one for a while as I used it in Australia and it was very effective with fleas.

Mate,

Why don't you try it yourself first?

If you start licking your balls and sniffing

butts, I'd probably stop taking it though :-)

Will

Why don't you try it yourself first?

If you start licking your balls and sniffing

butts, I'd probably stop taking it though :-)

Will

I thought all things, 'balls and butts' were the domain of another member.;) We should be careful about treading on the turf of others. I could be wrong, however.:)

I'll be watching. I have used the little brown bottles with the aluminum cap that you have to tear off. The stuff doesn't last very long. Don't recall the name. If the medication on the food works for one month, I'll switch to it for this borrowed dog. He deserves some fair treatment. He works harder for me than he does for his owner even though I don't ask anything of him.

OK, I've not gone with the stuff you put in the food, it's still sitting on the table unopened. I googled the active ingredient and decided that I wouldn't want it in my food so why should the dog have it in his?

So I went back yesterday and got the little vial and applied it. He was quite comfortable with it, when we used Frontline he rolled on his back for a while trying to get rid of it.

We went out in the car this morning and there was quite a strong chemical odour, I was told not to bath him for about 3 days so we'll see how he goes.

OK, I've not gone with the stuff you put in the food, it's still sitting on the table unopened. I googled the active ingredient and decided that I wouldn't want it in my food so why should the dog have it in his?

So I went back yesterday and got the little vial and applied it. He was quite comfortable with it, when we used Frontline he rolled on his back for a while trying to get rid of it.

We went out in the car this morning and there was quite a strong chemical odour, I was told not to bath him for about 3 days so we'll see how he goes.

Scu,

Keep us up to date please mate.

I would never be able to find Frontline but

got a Thai brand from the pet shop called

"Kill Out" which I applied yesterday.

Will post a progress report in a day or two.

Regards

Will

so far our little puppies haven't picked up anything, the mrs checks them every day and they're now of an age (about 4 months) where they want to join in with the big dogs outside, amongst the dust and chickens! they're both pretty small, half poodle half shitzu, according to m/s tastic, 'oh' i said 'poodle? bpen ma farangset? french dog? 'MAI' she scolded, 'THAI POODLE! same same but better!' so now I know :) The smallest one has developed a liking for paddling in some dubious looking black water/mud pool thing frequented by her chosen enemies, the food stealing chickens!

Anyway, what are the first signs of ticks? What do we need to look out for? They get regular 'ap naam' with dog shampoo and flea powdered and she uses a flea comb every day so, hopefully they'll be ok. Must be awful for the dogs to have ticks. They do get ant bites in between their toes from time to time but there's not much to be done about that really.

Cheers,

Biff

A doggy owner thread.

It's the worst year for ticks I can remember, the Mrs gets two or three off the dog every night, usually between his toes or in the thick fur around his neck.

My neighbour with two German shepherds and a Saint Bernard is going nuts. He took them into town for some mysterious injections yesterday.

They seem to come from the long grass, my dogs a bit shy and likes to back into foliage to partake of his constitutional.

I'm thinking of starting him on a product called "Frontline" again, it worked quite well last year until my mother in law tipped the whole bottle on the verminous soi dog that hangs around her house.

If you're getting your dog innoculated for Heart Worm (if not you should be) the vaccine also works against Ticks. I get my Mastiff vaccinated every two months and have no problems with ticks or fleas, even the mozzies leave him well alone.

AjarnP

A doggy owner thread.

If you're getting your dog innoculated for Heart Worm (if not you should be) the vaccine also works against Ticks. I get my Mastiff vaccinated every two months and have no problems with ticks or fleas, even the mozzies leave him well alone.

AjarnP

He gets his shots, the mobile vet's due any day for this years.

I'm practising some yoga moves to mellow out for the high drama of it now.

(Stuff it, where's the valium... ) B)

A doggy owner thread.

AjarnP

what's heart worm? sounds horrible!