Ticks

sceadugenga

A doggy owner thread.

It's the worst year for ticks I can remember, the Mrs gets two or three off the dog every night, usually between his toes or in the thick fur around his neck.

My neighbour with two German shepherds and a Saint Bernard is going nuts. He took them into town for some mysterious injections yesterday.

They seem to come from the long grass, my dogs a bit shy and likes to back into foliage to partake of his constitutional.

I'm thinking of starting him on a product called "Frontline" again, it worked quite well last year until my mother in law tipped the whole bottle on the verminous soi dog that hangs around her house.

If you're getting your dog innoculated for Heart Worm (if not you should be) the vaccine also works against Ticks. I get my Mastiff vaccinated every two months and have no problems with ticks or fleas, even the mozzies leave him well alone.

AjarnP

what's heart worm? sounds horrible!

It's a small parasite that gets into the blood stream and finally lodges in the heart itself. Most animals suffer from this terrible pest if they are not vaccinated against it.

The government Veterinary office (opposite Wiang Inn Hotel) will do a jab that is supposed ot last a year. I don't want to take the chance as this vaccine does not have a good write up, so I get the two month one done at the vet on SangkhongNoi Road. Usually costs a couple of hundred baht for a 75 kilo dog. A lot, lot cheaper than treating the worms if contracted later.

A doggy owner thread.

It's the worst year for ticks I can remember, the Mrs gets two or three off the dog every night, usually between his toes or in the thick fur around his neck.

My neighbour with two German shepherds and a Saint Bernard is going nuts. He took them into town for some mysterious injections yesterday.

They seem to come from the long grass, my dogs a bit shy and likes to back into foliage to partake of his constitutional.

I'm thinking of starting him on a product called "Frontline" again, it worked quite well last year until my mother in law tipped the whole bottle on the verminous soi dog that hangs around her house.

If you're getting your dog innoculated for Heart Worm (if not you should be) the vaccine also works against Ticks. I get my Mastiff vaccinated every two months and have no problems with ticks or fleas, even the mozzies leave him well alone.

AjarnP

what's heart worm? sounds horrible!

It's a small parasite that gets into the blood stream and finally lodges in the heart itself. Most animals suffer from this terrible pest if they are not vaccinated against it.

The government Veterinary office (opposite Wiang Inn Hotel) will do a jab that is supposed ot last a year. I don't want to take the chance as this vaccine does not have a good write up, so I get the two month one done at the vet on SangkhongNoi Road. Usually costs a couple of hundred baht for a 75 kilo dog. A lot, lot cheaper than treating the worms if contracted later.

Ah ok, thanks.

Our 2 little dogs and 1 cat are due their 1st vaccines this week, I'll be checking to see if this is included. Apparently it's gonna cost about 120 baht each, in Chiang Saen

btw, you have a 75 kilo dog? wow, that's 1 and a half times the size of Ms Tastic! And probably half as vicious! :lol:

Edited by bifftastic