Woman Fends Off Mugger In Phuket

webfact

Woman fends off mugger in Phuket

phuket-Rhian-Fon-Hartman-1-ALUAebf.jpg

Rhian ‘Fon’ Hartman, the 24-year-old who sank her teeth into an assailant.

phuket-The-speed-bump-where-4-YdPXgGo.jpg

The speed bump where the man forced Ms Hartman to stop her motorbike.

PHUKET: A young woman last week fought off a would-be robber by biting his arm, causing the attacker to flee empty-handed down Soi Yodsane in Phuket.

The incident happened around 4am on June 24 after the victim, Rhian ‘Fon’ Hartman, was leaving her job as a public relations officer at a well-known restaurant in Kathu.

Ms Hartman drove on her motorbike with a friend to Chalong, where they parted ways.

Around 100 meters down Soi Yodsane, where Ms Hartman lives, she was forced to stop by a man on another motorbike.

The man, described as “quite fat”, was wearing a white T-shirt and probably in his late 20s.

Tattoos covered both of his arms.

“I slowed my bike down to cross a speed bump and he passed me, pushing my bike with his foot and stopping right in front of me,” she said.

The man yelled ‘You stop!’ at her.

The man got her in a head lock from behind and grabbed her bag. Ms Hartman instinctively bit his arm, causing him to let go.

She shouted loudly for help and the man fled. Ms Hartman returned home with a slight arm injury.

Around 3pm the same day, she went to Chalong Police Station with her British father, William Hartman, to report the crime.

Ms Hartman said she felt lucky, but was worried others might not be so fortunate if it happened again.

Mr Hartman told the Gazette he would have preferred his daughter to have given over the bag without fighting.

“You don’t know how desperate the guy is. If he’s on drugs he’s very desperate, if he’s hungry he’s not so desperate and just wants to eat,” he said.

“The guy was working alone, which tells me he’s inexperienced – he’s a very young guy and didn’t cover himself,” he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-06-28

Happens anywhere but Phuket seems to be making headlines again! Good thing it was only a harsip harsip Farang! Good on her for fighting back. Might not have been the wisest choice but good for her.

Edited by asiawatcher

Good thing that it is only arm that was bitten.:whistling:

This could have been serious, if you cannot offer anything on a serious note, why post inane comments?

(This is a rhetorical question as you tend to post anything just to increase your post count)

I still find it absolutely amazing how much detail the media is prepared to release on victims.

Let's suppose that this was a random attack by Ms Hartman's assailant on the first available female motorcyclist who happened to be in the area. Without recourse to any firm details on the young lady, the offender would simply have to accept that his robbery attempt was thwarted, and that he was slightly injured in the process.

However,since there is now the obvious possibility that he can become aware of both where she lives, Soi Yodsane, and where she works, a well-kown restaurant in Kathu (can you believe they would give ourt such details?), then he might decide to get his revenge at some later date!

Absolutely unbelieveable that such information can be divulged.