Academics Call For Law To Prosecute Thaksin In World Court

webfact

Special Report:

Academics call for law to prosecute Thaksin in World Court

A seminar held by the Sanya Dharmasakti Institute for Democracy agreed that the government should resume its handling of the death squads operating in Thaksin Shinawatra’s 2003 anti-drug policy, with an adoption of a specific law to prosecute Mr Thaksin in World Court.

A report of the independent committee to probe cases on extra-judicial killings which took place during Thaksin Shinawatra’s War on Drug policy indicates a total of 2,604 murder cases with 2,873 death squads. Up to 1,187 cases were proven relations of drug suspects. There were a total of 45 extra-juridical cases, with 54 suspects murdered on spot. Only 35 cases were proven that the suspects were actually involved with drugs.

The seminar on 25 June 2010 was led by a retired Police General Wasith Dejkunchorn, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) member and a member of the former panel on the killings in Mr Thaksin's war on drugs Pol Gen Wanchai Srinualnat, as well as the Department of Special Investigation (DSI)'s Special Criminal Litigation Officer Pol Col Piyawat Kingket.

Drug murder cases had increased by 87% or an average 853 cases per month since Mr Thaksin announced his famous War on Drug Policy during February-April 2003, while an average of 454 murder cases were claimed per month during February-April 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005.

A summarized report on the cause of the deaths was proposed to General Surayuth Chulanonda's government, claiming that the list of traffickers was hastily conducted, while the authorities were pressurized by the tally. Currently, Former Attorney-General Kampee Kaewcharoen as head of the investigation panel is tasked to continue probe in three dimensions; to prosecute the suspects, assist the victims and prevent the repetition of the incident.

Involved people must be brought to justice as their anti-drug policies clearly targeted people's lives. The investigative panel should be empowered to forward the issues to the domestic court so as the Police Bureau, the DSI or even the NHRC.

The offenses can be prosecuted internationally as issues can be addressed by relatives of the victims via the United Nations. However, the lack of witnesses can hamper the prosecution as murders were committed by officials. Victims are urged to report to the DSI to seek help on such cases.

In addition, a specific law should be issued so that the NHRC can sue the offenders on behalf of the dead victims, not only the drug cases but the May 2010 incident as well.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-06-28 footer_n.gif

I mean ... there is enough video footage covering this moron bail jumper convicted here as well as now able to be convicted internationally on terrorism. Why is it we have to be subjected to all this due process debating right or wrong, wasting millions of dollars.baht whatever, when either get interpol on it of send the Mossad. Simple. blink.gif

I mean ... there is enough video footage covering this moron bail jumper convicted here as well as now able to be convicted internationally on terrorism. Why is it we have to be subjected to all this due process debating right or wrong, wasting millions of dollars.baht whatever, when either get interpol on it of send the Mossad. Simple. blink.gif

I vote for Mossad.

Lets face it the last thing we want is to have that crook/terroist here in Thailand. It would just get the red shirt dummies going again

The way I reaad that 35 proven was 35 out of 54. JMO

In 2001, just prior to the mass murders on 9/11 in NY, my GF was from Udon Thani & she told me that the police carried out summary executions for drug related second offenders in the UT area.

I scoffed at her story at the time... It seems that I was wrong. :(

In 2001, just prior to the mass murders on 9/11 in NY, my GF was from Udon Thani & she told me that the police carried out summary executions for drug related second offenders in the UT area.

It's true that the shootings happened, though I thought it was late 2002 or 03. I saw one of the fatalities just after he was shot in a town in central Isaan. I was driving home from Tesco when I saw a policeman waving to slow the traffic down on the edge of town. A police pickup had stopped with its headlights on in the middle of the road and a body was lying just in front of it. As I drove slowly by with my window down, I was within six feet of the body. My first thought was that it was a road accident but I quickly found out that that was not the case. It seems the man had exited a local restaurant and was crossing the road when he was gunned down. People from my nearby village said he was a well known ya-ba dealer.

I heard stories about two other local cases from people who claimed to have seen what happened. One was a student, part-time waiter shot in the head in the restaurant where he worked on the edge of a university campus: apparently a police officer just walked in and did the deed with the deceased offering no resistance. The other case involved a woman in her 40s, again well known as dealer, who was sitting at a table at a local corner shop. My informant said she was shot three times where she sat, again without presenting any threat to the officers. Guess this is mainly hearsay but I believed the accounts. The interesting thing is that ordinary local people were not generally fazed by these events and seemed to think the targets had been well selected. I must admit I felt very unsettled by what I saw, and did have some worries about safety (no, I don't sell drugs). There is no doubt that there was a green light from above, but I suspect that quite a bit of local initiative was also involved.

Edited by citizen33

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX <-----redacted for censorship purposes.

Thailand (like America) still won't ratify the International Criminal Court, making Thailand a free floating judicial system, bereft of accountability or responsibility to anyone or anything but itself. (Cambodia and Afghanistan even ratified this treaty!)

This puts Thailand (et al) in the auspicious company of states like Yemen, Burma, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, North Korea and Uzbekistan -where they boil people in oil.

Maybe hauling Taksin to the Hague is a good idea, but unless the current Thai government ratifies the ICC treaty, my prediction is that nothing will happen regarding this. And I can assure you wholeheartedly the treaty will ~never~ be ratified because that would mean that Thaksin would have to stand trial equally right alongside every other 2 legged primate in Thailand that is guilty of International Crimes. Nope, sorry, won't happen.

However, this article does make for lovely public relations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Criminal_Court

It's true that the shootings happened, though I thought it was late 2002 or 03. <snip>

My point was that summary executions were going on in the provinces before Taxsin made his announcement!.

It's true that the shootings happened, though I thought it was late 2002 or 03. <snip>

My point was that summary executions were going on in the provinces before Taxsin made his announcement!.

So what. If thaksin was wanting to promote democracy and justice for all then he would have put a stop to such activities. He didn't, he abused this activity to a much greater degree and on several occasions.

Good idea. It is the single worst human rights abuse in decades in Thailand. We wouldnt want any double standards after all would we.

Now ratify ICC as should all countries who regard human rights as more than just window dressing.

So what. If thaksin was wanting to promote democracy and justice for all then he would have put a stop to such activities. He didn't, he abused this activity to a much greater degree and on several occasions.

So what???

Do I need a blackboard and chalk to point out the obvious that he made the summaries S.O.P. well before he made his announcement.

Comprende?

Before everyone gets all too excited ... has anyone considered how it might apply to Generals or Police that order shootings? Like in 73, 76, 85, 92 and in a few instances las post 2000 including a temple in bangkok a couple months back?

Okay so this has a snowballs chance in a hot place of actually s ramifications get considered. It is a good headline for the day though :)

So what???

Do I need a blackboard and chalk to point out the obvious that he made the summaries S.O.P. well before he made his announcement.

Comprende?

Yes, please do. Add the exact date and other necessary details.

Even you said hat you didn't believe your "my GF was from Udon Thani" Why should we accept it now as the obvious? Please add more details and specially how he did it.

What about the cuffed drugdealer that were shot by police a couple of days ago? Is that to be included on Thaksins war on drugs, or will it be added to the police killings done in Thailand since 2007? Is there actually any statistics on how many are killed by police each year?

• 4 weeks later...

DSI Investigates Murders During Thaksin's War on Drugs in Kalasin Province

Members of the Department of Special Investigation and the National Human Rights Commission have traveled to Kalasin province to investigate 28 murders that took place during the War on Drugs initiated by then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Member of the National Human Rights Commission, Doctor Niran Pitawatchara, Director of the Department of Special Investigation's Special Crime Division Colonel Piyawat Kingkade and a number of officials traveled to Kalasin province to investigate the 28 murder cases that took place in the province during the War on Drugs initiated by then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Prior to this, the Department of Special Investigation, or the DSI, had criminally charged six police officers from the province with committing an extrajudicial murder by hanging Kiattisak Thitboonkrong, a 17 year-old suspect.

The case has been designated a special status case by the DSI since opening in 2004.

The DSI has pointed out that there could be as many as 100 disguised murders similar to Kiattisak's case, but evidence could be gathered to reveal only 28 cases -- all of them involving the Kalasin Provincial Police Bureau.

The National Human Rights Commission blames the Thaksin administration's anti-narcotic policy for these extrajudicial killings. Officials say they will not only investigate the murders, but also educate people on how to protect their own civil rights.

TAN - July 23, 2010

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1032575