Durian Eaters

sbk

durian baan  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, you know who you are. Those of you who like durian (my dad is one of you, but then he also eats Limberger cheese so it makes perfect sense). You can eat the fancy not so stinky durian

But can you eat the far smellier and gooier durian baan?

• Like 1

skb

which kind of durian are you talking about.... heh....?

1--morn-tong (หมอนทอง meaning gold pillow):

most expensive and consist of mostly yellow flesh and very small hard yellow seeds, i paid wholesale about 20 thb per kilo, retail price depends on region, bkk 350 thb, hatyai 45 thb

2--cha-knee (ชะนี meaning yellowish skinny monkey):

less expensive and consist of larger yellow seeds but is still meaty

3--garn-yaeow (ก้านยาว meaning long stem):

similar to cha-knee

4--baarn (ทุเรียนบ้าน meaning home or local durian):

least expensive and contain mostly of very large yellow seeds. most will not detach from branches unless they are ready for consumption, which can not be said of the other three categories. many would be taken down before they are ready for consumption.... so they can be frozen and packaged and shipped overseas even for a much higher price tag.... :lol:

5--too-rian guan (ทุเรียนกวน):

meat of various kind of durian was detached from seeds and very slowly cooked on a frying pan until it becomes very sticky. i used to receive this kind of durian from my great great grand children on a monthly basis.... if possible try to avoid this type of cooked durian.... our digestive system might not be able to endure all sort of impurities contained in the cooked durian....:o

as a matter of fact, i just consumed the whole 1.3 kg of morn-tong this evening.... in place of my usual dinner.... :D

For me, eating durian is like going back in time, like 2.000 years

It smell really shitty to me, but must admit that if somebody is

promising me, let´s say, 1.000 baht if I taste a bit, I´ll do it.

other than that for me, through the shit away!!!

Glegolo

Glegolo

You dad sounds like my dad. He used to foul the whole refrigerator with that Limbuger. I like the Durian, but find it so filling I can only eat a little bit.

Mrs Naam buys Limburger for me. she keeps it wrapped on a table in the carport. i wait for one day to let i ripen a bit more and then i sit with her driver and share with him my Limburger (with german dark bread) whilst my dogs are barking angrily and demand to have their share. sooner or later we'll let them out to join the feast. durian? yes, but only when not overripe.

p.s. my dogs reject Durian.

skb

most expensive and consist of mostly yellow flesh and very small hard yellow seeds, i paid wholesale about 20 thb per kilo, retail price depends on region, bkk 350 thb, hatyai 45 thb

similar to cha-knee

least expensive and contain mostly of very large yellow seeds. most will not detach from branches unless they are ready for consumption, which can not be said of the other three categories. many would be taken down before they are ready for consumption.... so they can be frozen and packaged and shipped overseas even for a much higher price tag.... :lol:

meat of various kind of durian was detached from seeds and very slowly cooked on a frying pan until it becomes very sticky. i used to receive this kind of durian from my great great grand children on a monthly basis.... if possible try to avoid this type of cooked durian.... our digestive system might not be able to endure all sort of impurities contained in the cooked durian....:o

as a matter of fact, i just consumed the whole 1.3 kg of morn-tong this evening.... in place of my usual dinner.... :D

Ate a durian in CM. Called "Ko damm". Perfectly delicious. Took the seeds down to Phuket. Now I have 4 little "Ko damm-trees". Sanuk.

when you have some time on hand, can you post pix of those little DURIAN trees for us.... thx

skb

similar to cha-knee

Ate a durian in CM. Called "Ko damm". Perfectly delicious. Took the seeds down to Phuket. Now I have 4 little "Ko damm-trees". Sanuk.

skb

similar to cha-knee

like to eat occasionally have never known that there were various types.

can anyone say which is the most smelly type

IME, the durian baan is the smelliest. Its the one most commonly grown in people's backyards etc. hence the term, baan.

• 2 weeks later...

IME, the durian baan is the smelliest. Its the one most commonly grown in people's backyards etc. hence the term, baan.

SBK thanks i'll let you whip me up next time we meet.

Yes, it's the house durian for me, mainly because it is so readily available in the village, but also because it has a far more intense flavour, in my opinion. I can eat it until it comes out of my ears, but unfortunately it is very fattening, and artery clogging.

How would you describe the flavour of your favourite durian to someone who has never eaten it? I would describe our village durian as having the texture of a sticky toffee pudding and warm ice cream, and the mixed flavours of strawberry,vanilla, honey and onion!!

We also have a fruit in the village called Gatorn, which has the appearance of a very large grapefruit, although has a brown skin, and inside has a stone and two different grades of flesh of which the inner flesh next to the stone is sweet and can be eaten raw but the outer flesh is best when soaked in palm sugar for a couple of days and eaten with a sweet chilli dip.

Oh, forgot to mention.....the durian stone from the house durian....don't throw them away, as they can be roasted. We throw ours on the bbq coals. Delicious.

mmm tricky one for me, I would say I'm kinda preparing myself to try it. G/f's kids love it, I also didn't realise there were so many types, I reckon they've been given the 'baan' type. Ms Tastic herself doesn't seem over keen on it, I've only ever seen her give it to the nippers after they spot it at the market and pester her to buy some. But then they also love that seaweed 'snack' salia? which, to me, just tastes like dried snot dipped in salt :)

The dogs have a sniff of the durian and then retreat, which has put me off :lol:

Glegolo

glegolo

you got a deal....

but you'll get only 500 thb....

the trial out address is:

KRUA TUB-TIENG RESTAURANT, 48/4 Moo 1, ThaNon NarTaLuang, Trung, South Thailand....

when would you like me to set up the grand event for you....? :rolleyes:

sbk user_popup.png

• av-4641.jpg
  • Mistress Whiplash
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png

• user_add.png
  • email_open.png

• Group: Admin

Posted 2010-06-29 22:40

Ok, you know who you are. Those of you who like durian (my dad is one of you, but then he also eats Limberger cheese so it makes perfect sense). You can eat the fancy not so stinky durian

But can you eat the far smellier and gooier durian baan?

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

--Mae West

hi ms sbk

one reason among many others that durian is gooier, is because.... it is TOO RIPE.... which will turn yellowish color on the horny (?) spiky outer layer.... i mean.... thornier not hornier.... :o

if you like durian a little firmer but still soft, but not gooey.... choose the green appearance with just a tint of yellowish color.... :P