The Filename, Directory Name, Or Volume Label Syntax Is Incorrect

octagon

Corrupted files on my Kingston drive. Can't rename, copy, or delete. Tried deleting from command prompt, Explorer, FileASSASIN, Unlocker, same deal in all efforts. Short of reformatting, what are my options? Running XP SP2.

post-45518-091995500 1277829981_thumb.jp

If this is an NTFS volume, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 320081 for more information.

Alternatively, open a Command Prompt window and navigate to the folder containing the corrupt items. List the contents of this folder by using the DIR /X command; both long and short file names (SFN) should be displayed. Then use the DEL or RD command (for directories) with that SFN. Worth a shot, but it doesn't always work though.

Edited by Supernova

I get the impression the OP does not want to format and loose the data............

Try this little utility that I have attached.

I allows you access to the filename and date........

and might just get you out of trouble.

Unzip and read the instructions.

Right Click on the .inf file to install.

I know it looks very ancient, but I have just reinstalled it on my XP/SP3 and it still seems to work.

Touch.zip

More ideas

* Just copy the stuff you don't want to delete to your hard drive then do a reformat. A Quick Reformat gets rid of everything and is super fast.

* Try TotalCommander, it has its own copy/delete routines, maybe it can do it.

* Consider a corrupted file system instead of an infection. chkdsk might help, or might make things worse (but reformat will always work)

I've been on hiatus for a few days so couldn't reply sooner. Thanks for all the good advice, but on a computer start up with Kingston attached, the drive underwent a file scan check and deleted all "junk" files and folders. Why this didn't happen on previous reboots, who knows. I'm just happy a reformat was avoided. I may try the Touch utility if I ever have a similar problem again.