Dhl/Customs At It Again

imaneggspurt

irrelevant dribble, dosent appy to me or this subject, goods were declared at purchased price and a receipt for the payment sent to thai customs

Utterly deceptive twaddlespeak says I.

Items are subject to tax based on value, not on purchase price.

This explains it all, really.

Now you are getting somewhere, yes based on THEIR ( thai customs) assessed value, which usually is utter <deleted>

Well I'm sorry, but as far as I understood, this was never meant to be a discussion regarding taxation, import duties or other fees related to importing something to Thailand, but whether the Thai customs (or a shipping agent for that matter) is corrupt. They may be exactly that, I have never opposed that idea. But when I have received goods purchased abroad I have never been subject to any foul play.

As I have previously pointed out, a lot of people expect a cheap item purchased on eBay to be sent to Thailand without further charges. Pardon my French, but there are plenty of charges, and they are all publicly available on the Thai customs web site. Rates, fees and taxes; just check it up beforehand. AND, in case you're not happy with the evaluation of your goods you can appeal the evaluation. I'm confident you've done that already.

I've see a few posts here claiming that the tax, fees and charges turns out to be higher than the actual prize of the item, and I can't say I disagree with that perception. But the thing is that is the reality of importing goods to Thailand. The taxation and customs on imported goods is actually this high; you will seldom be able to import something without being subject to very high tax rates. But that has nothing to do with corruption. At this point I'd like t point out that I have never said anything to claim corruption doesn't exist.

Before starting whining and moaning about corruption, I suggest you check out the Thai Customs web site. I even believe there is an example there showing that importing goods to Thailand ends up being charged more than 100% in taxes than the actual prize paid for the item (and that's even with the correct declaration of value).

So yes, it is expensive - if not VERY expensive - to import stuff to Thailand. I guess the only way to make things a little bit cheaper would be to employ a bilingual gardener.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yes, it is expensive - if not VERY expensive - to import stuff to Thailand. I guess the only way to make things a little bit cheaper would be to employ a bilingual gardener.

Not if one sends via U.S.P.S. and ultimately Thailand Post...

And that, is the whole important point of this thread, to educate ex-pats to NOT send via DHL, UPS and Fed-Ex for shipping household things into Thailand...

So, it's advice worth repeating one more time!!!

We're not likely going to chance the operations of Thai Customs and their partners at DHL, FedEx and UPS. But we can change the carrier we use.

Your money...your choice.

What a putz, the very fact that you can argue with customs and refuse to pay their extortion until they lower it to a more reasonable level is proof of their complete and utter corruption and attempts at extortion.

you shouldn't get into this situation really if you are working with a serious freight forwadring company, I use LogistiZec ( http://logistizec.com/ ) for my shipping and find them reliable and easy to work with them. They also have an expansive presence throughout Europe, USA Asia & The Middle East. so their network is excellent and this is very important when going through Customs Clearance process.

What a putz, the very fact that you can argue with customs and refuse to pay their extortion until they lower it to a more reasonable level is proof of their complete and utter corruption and attempts at extortion.

you shouldn't get into this situation really if you are working with a serious freight forwadring company, I use LogistiZec ( http://logistizec.com/ ) for my shipping and find them reliable and easy to work with them. They also have an expansive presence throughout Europe, USA Asia & The Middle East. so their network is excellent and this is very important when going through Customs Clearance process.

Sounds great.

For those of us living here in LOS, what exactly would a company like this do? And how does their process work?

And since you deal with them, can you give some kind of example of what their charges are relative to the weight and/or value of things shipped?

You can do exactly the same with UK customs. I have sucessfully negotiated import duty down to zero on UK imports in the past.

For those of us living here in LOS, what exactly would a company like this do? And how does their process work?

And since you deal with them, can you give some kind of example of what their charges are relative to the weight and/or value of things shipped?

A freight company like Logistizec is providing full service, port-to-door and door-to-door delivery solution.

Prices depend on many elements such as; location,type of delivery (port to port, post to door, door to door, etc), kind of product you want to deliver.

There are many regulations of the law in each different country and Tax is also different from product to product.

Thats why you always need a reliable experienced with good worldwide network company who can bring you best rates and time effeciency.

contact Logistizec if you need information, the email is: [email protected]

Good luck. :)

Edited by Bangkok2008

• 3 weeks later...

"...and you can import temporarily which i asked for,"

I'm afraid you lose credibility. First you go the trouble of buying a "broken" phone which you then pay DHL's high fee to deliver to you in Thailand even though you intend to send it back? This makes no sense at all. Your receipt means nothing. I can print you a new on my laser printer, complete with whatever letterhead you choose and show the thing only cost a pound and a half. It sounds very much like you tried to game Customs and lost. If I'm wrong, accept my apology. But I don't think I am.

Well you are wrong smart@ss, it was not sent on its own, it was in a 20 kilo box with other goods, that wernt queried, the actual cost of delivery was probably under 10 pounds,