BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Vegemite

How Does A Farang Make Money- Isaan

Just a simple question from a lowly carpenter with a small pot of gold and without a rich father. Is a guesthouse feasible in an Isaan village? Any other options?

I would say yes.

But location and marketing would be of utmost importance

Just a simple question from a lowly carpenter with a small pot of gold and without a rich father. Is a guesthouse feasible in an Isaan village? Any other options?

A guesthouse/resort would probably only be successful if situated right on or near to a major highway to take advantage of travellers. Most visitors to typical villages (in Isaan or anywhere in Thailand) would usually "bunk up" with friends or relatives.

/Edit - I'm having one of those terrible spelling days :o

Edited by Jai Dee

A guest house in Isaan is certainly feasible but making money with a guesthouse in Isaan is another question entirely. Does anyone here have any stories about how much money some farang has made running a guest house in Isaan? Does anyone here have any stories about some farang that went broke with a guesthouse in Isaan?

And since you describe yourself as a 'lowly carpenter' I will assume that you have no great desire or ability to run a business. If I am correct in this assumption then there probably isn't any way that you can make money in Isaan.

Edited by chownah

I have been thinking of ways to make some extra money.

In Isaan, things are dirt cheap. It makes sense to try and work for a company abroad, maybe using the internet.

I very much doubt if a farang can make money with a guest house.

Good luck if you try it :o

A guesthouse in Isaan would have to be near a transit point like Nong Khai town to get the flow of farang.Otherwise farang stay with the in laws for a few days or more.Out in the wilds you have no chance of making money,who is going to stay and why would they travel to your area unless it has a big cultural attraction.

There's a New Zealand guy in Nong Khai who has decided to give up and his Bigsnake guesthouse in the middle of nowhere is up for sale.Just never got any visitors except for two days of the year.

Only one way of making DECENT MONEY in Essarn, is to buy a b-l-o-o-d-y good printer,

A "falang" bar, resteraunt, you could spin off doing house rentals/sales car moterbike rentles, internet sell "falang" foods ect, It would have to be in a fairly big town with a lot of falangs though.... mabye somewhere like Surin :D:o

Actually If there was somewhere like that near me they would probably make a tidy living as people would drive from far around to go there.... mabye. The other option is cows.

Just a simple question from a lowly carpenter

The other option is cows.

Wooden cows?

That wooden work!

Edited by Sir Burr

Just a simple question from a lowly carpenter

The other option is cows.

Wooden cows?

That wooden work!

Very droll Sir Burr, very droll indeed! :o !

I also do not see how a guesthouse in an Isaan village would work.

Why would anyone want to stay there? :D ?

funny u all should mention but was talking witht he guys here along the lines of 'what if...' i.e. what if the kibbutz falls apart etc etc and i will be old with no one to support me... so two guys offerred land to rent, build a small thai style house, and do 'guest house'... i'll drag in all the israelis looking for cheap travel.... wont u all love me then 55555555....

one area near nong khai, the other near udon thani areas....i tell u all what...

u build the house... i'll find the israelis, u give me commission, and u deal with the tourists at your end... i'll deal with the flak when they come back home to gripe and complain (they always always do )...

just when i was getting excited about an idea.... havnt tourists discoverd issan yet?

funny u all should mention but was talking witht he guys here along the lines of 'what if...' i.e. what if the kibbutz falls apart etc etc and i will be old with no one to support me... so two guys offerred land to rent, build a small thai style house, and do 'guest house'... i'll drag in all the israelis looking for cheap travel.... wont u all love me then 55555555....

one area near nong khai, the other near udon thani areas....i tell u all what...

u build the house... i'll find the israelis, u give me commission, and u deal with the tourists at your end... i'll  deal with the flak when they come back home to gripe and complain (they always always do )...

just when i was getting excited about an idea.... havnt tourists discoverd issan yet?

I reckon that if you don't have the money or pension to stay here you should not be here. 8 years ago there were only a couple of farang bars in Udon. Harry's', Erwyn's and TG's. Now there are about 20 farang bars. This is because there have been too many farangs coming on holiday and thinking that a bar is the answere to thier financial problems. In Nong Khai there was at the last count, about 26 bars. Again farangs coming to town and thinking they can scratch a living by opening a bar. In most cases it's a shack. Most of these bars whether it be in Udon or Nong Khai are frequented by thier rivals, who take alternate nights off to go and spy on other bars. About 1% of farangs make it with bars. If they are truthful they will admit it. Look at the amount who have packed in and went home,it's too many to remember. Many young guys come here and try to settle with thier "two week" holiday t'luck when they should be back in thier own country paying into a pension for thier retirement years. (The small head rules)

I have said this before and many of the older residents have heard it also. There is only one way to leave Thailand with a small fortune. The answere is to come here with a BIG fortune. If there was a fortune to be made in Thailand it would be made by a Thai.

I bet there is a bit of slagging about this. Be truthful before you reply.

well since i'm female, and we dont have pension plans on kibbutz, and i dont like bars, and i have no money, etc etc etc... i was toying with ideas.... i've already told meadish i can do the 4a.m. milkings..i have hands on experience

then there's the idea of a goat farm...... never mind... when the time comes, if it does, then i'll have to look i guess... or else live like a poor issaan farmer, i'll have to practice chewing betel leaves w/o teeth

why would somebody spy on someone elses' bar, its not like hi tec espionage?!