Morons Guide To Televisions

neverdie

I realise there are a couple of threads running on televisions and various chat about this brand or that brand, this model or that model etc.

I have no knowledge about these things, I'm still running a tube TV as I don't watch too much & have been too tight to buy another.

Anyway, I'm trying to educate myself online via reading this and that BUT AM GETTING CONFUSED :blink: .

Does anyone want to have a crack at simplifiying this process & making some recommendations about what to look for. I don't even know what size I should be looking for etc. Whats the deal between PLASMA (Old technology) verses LCD, verses LED? Does one use more power than the other. Are there things to consider when buying each one, such as screen life etc.

THE MIND BOGGLES and its information overlaod. Also everytime I speak with a Thai salesman, his make or model is the best and he baffles me with B.S. until I get overload headache.

Im not trying to be entirely lazy by asking for help here, but appreciate some owners will be able give advice based on Experience & not the need to make a sale.

:jap: :jap: :jap:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was exactly the same as you 6 months ago. After buying a 46" Samsung 6 Series LED I'm still the same and know nothing really.

But, I am very impressed with the picture quality even on some of the True Visions channels.

One thing that I have read about is that LED uses 40% less (or of) power than the LCD equivalent, and that on LED the Blacks are more black and vivid giving a more realistic picture (if one is to believe the literature).

In all likelihood I doubt that there is much discernible difference between LED and LCD but videophiles will know significantly more and be able to notice a difference.

What I do know is that plasma is old technology and that the LCD and LED screens are much better.

Not much help I know... but I'm glad I chose an LED Tele.

Plasma  = cheaper, runs hotter (uses more energy I guess), very good for UBC

LCD =  less cheap, a bit cooler, better for DVD's

LED = most expensive, coolest - energy efficient, good for UBC, DVD, HD broadcasts. Was told that LED picture difference is no different than LCD, just the technology for illumination etc. ??? But I am no expert for sure.

Personal opinion, LED is not worth it yet but is the way of the future. 

Thanks Richard. I was at home pro yesterday and some guy was giving me the low down on the new Samsung 3D LED television. It was 90,000 baht and did just about everything except cook the evenings meal. It had wireless for connecting to the internet & a million other options. I kept thinking I dont want to spend 90,000 on a telly.

I have a mate with a HD Plasma, it was high tech 3 or 4 years ago but he reakons it eats electricity like theres no tommorrow.

I just got a PM with some more advice, I really need the idiots guide :lol: . Also, no offence but I am anti-samsung & my feelings come from a bad experience from buying two previous Samsung products, both which have since died. I also had a fairly ordinary dealing with them over 9 months of problems, although to their credit I eventually got a full refund and an apology. I guess im still a bit cold on them.

Plasma = cheaper, runs hotter (uses more energy I guess), very good for UBC

LCD = less cheap, a bit cooler, better for DVD's

LED = most expensive, coolest - energy efficient, good for UBC, DVD, HD broadcasts. Was told that LED picture difference is no different than LCD, just the technology for illumination etc. ??? But I am no expert for sure.

Jimmy, when you talk about Plasma being cheaper, I take it you mean the original purchase price & not the running costs? What about this Neo Plasma I saw yesterday? Is that new technology or old technology with a new lable?

cheers mate.

Plasma  = cheaper, runs hotter (uses more energy I guess), very good for UBC

LCD =  less cheap, a bit cooler, better for DVD's

Jimmy, when you talk about Plasma being cheaper, I take it you mean the original purchase price & not the running costs?  What about this Neo Plasma I saw yesterday?  Is that new technology or old technology with a new lable?

cheers mate.

Older technology but still very good IMO, know nothing about Neo plasma. I bought a 42 inch plasma 1.5 years go, runs fine, but does throw off the heat. I know with the WC True has rolled out HD but not sure when this will be broadly available at an affordable cost.

Now 3D technology is out  - they have one at Emporium. Again, I don't buy Blue Ray DVDs now because they are so expensive so doubt I will jump on the 3D bandwagon anytime soon.

I own two plasma HDTVs and one LCD. Plasma is NOT old technology, LCD is much older. Think about how long computer monitors have been using LCD screens. Most videophiles much prefer plasma because of it has more accurate colors, handles motion better, has wider viewing angles, better contrast due to superior rendering of blacks (new LEDs can now compete here however) and is "inch for inch" less expensive than LCD. LED TVs are LCD, they just use a different type of backlighting than ordinary LCDs which enables manufacturers to make slimmer TVs. Some benefits of LCDs are that they are lighter than plasma, consume less power, have better white levels, and those with matte screens offer better viewing in bright environments due to decreased screen glare. This benefit is negated in those LCDs that use glossy screens.

Both LCDs and plasma HDTVs have about the same repair rate and both have the same life expectancy, between 60,000 and 100,000 hours. As I stated previously most experts prefer plasma and I much prefer plasma because of the more realistic colors and superior motion handling. There are many who prefer LCD of course. If you want a small screen you don't have much choice since plasma TVs are only made in sizes 42" and larger.

I hope this helps a little.

Edited by Buckeye911
  • Like 1

The technical arguments and recommendations will boil down to 50% for LCD/LED and 50% for plasma. It's you that will be watching it in the end. Look around and go with whatever looks best to your eyes and suits your wallet.

I own two plasma HDTVs and one LCD.  Plasma is NOT old technology, LCD is much older.  Think about how long computer monitors have been using LCD screens.  Most videophiles much prefer plasma because of it has more accurate colors, handles motion better, has wider viewing angles, better contrast due to superior rendering of blacks (new LEDs can now compete here however) and is "inch for inch" less expensive than LCD.  LED TVs are LCD, they just use a different type of backlighting than ordinary LCDs which enables manufacturers to make slimmer TVs.  Some benefits of LCDs are that they are lighter than plasma, consume less power, have better white levels, and those with matte screens offer better viewing in bright environments due to decreased screen glare.  This benefit is negated in those LCDs that use glossy screens.  <div><br></div><div>Both LCDs and plasma HDTVs have about the same repair rate and both have the same life expectancy, between 60,000 and 100,000 hours.  As I stated previously most experts prefer plasma and I much prefer plasma because of the more realistic colors and superior motion handling.  There are many who prefer LCD of course.  If you want a small screen you don't have much choice since plasma TVs are only made in sizes 42" and larger.</div><div><br></div><div>I hope this helps a little.  </div>

Very informative post mate thanks. Next time can you space the sentences so its readable? Cheers :lol:

The technical arguments and recommendations will boil down to 50% for LCD/LED and 50% for plasma. It's you that will be watching it in the end. Look around and go with whatever looks best to your eyes and suits your wallet.
Absolutely. As with the old audiophile adage; buy what makes your ears happy. The same hold true for televisions and your eyes. Figure out your budget, do a little research (some brands are just crap), narrow down your choices - and then have a shoot-out at the showroom. Any salesman who won't accommodate you is an idiot. Especially if you're in the market to BUY. Haggle as needed. Leave happy. Oh, and bring your own DVDs. Edited by matsellah

I own two plasma HDTVs and one LCD. Plasma is NOT old technology, LCD is much older. Think about how long computer monitors have been using LCD screens. Most videophiles much prefer plasma because of it has more accurate colors, handles motion better, has wider viewing angles, better contrast due to superior rendering of blacks (new LEDs can now compete here however) and is "inch for inch" less expensive than LCD. LED TVs are LCD, they just use a different type of backlighting than ordinary LCDs which enables manufacturers to make slimmer TVs. Some benefits of LCDs are that they are lighter than plasma, consume less power, have better white levels, and those with matte screens offer better viewing in bright environments due to decreased screen glare. This benefit is negated in those LCDs that use glossy screens.

Both LCDs and plasma HDTVs have about the same repair rate and both have the same life expectancy, between 60,000 and 100,000 hours. As I stated previously most experts prefer plasma and I much prefer plasma because of the more realistic colors and superior motion handling. There are many who prefer LCD of course. If you want a small screen you don't have much choice since plasma TVs are only made in sizes 42" and larger.

Yes, really good post, thanks Buckeye.

You seem to have a bit of experience with these things, what do you have to say about brands? & thanks.

Absolutely. As with the old audiophile adage; buy what makes your ears happy. The same hold true for televisions and your eyes. Figure out your budget, do a little research (some brands are just crap), narrow down your choices - and then have a shoot-out at the showroom. Any salesman who won't accommodate you is an idiot. Especially if you're in the market to BUY. Haggle as needed. Leave happy. Oh, and bring your own DVDs.

Yes, I'm definately in the market to buy, its long overdue BUT I HATE SHOPPING FOR STUFF I DONT KNOW ABOUT! Also, whatever I buy, I want it to last, afterall you are talking to a tube tv owner who still up until not so long ago happily and proudly displayed his 68cm Panasonic tube TV, like it was the Ferrari of televisions. :lol:

You seem to have a bit of experience with these things, what do you have to say about brands? & thanks.

Samsung for me. 

They measure these things 'diagonally'?

I read something about the correct size TV being important for the room in which it is being used. Something about 2 to 5 rule, that being if the idiot box is 40 inch (1 metre) then it is most suitiable to be viewed from between 2 to 5 metres with 2 to 3 being the best.

I then read another article about HDTV being best viewed at 1.8 times the width of the screen. I am guessing if I read something else I will get another answer. I use to think 40 inches was big but 40-42 inch is probably what Im looking at (and not that big compared to some of the mothers i saw yesterday).

Ohh too much! :(

I ended up buying a Toshiba 42" LCD a couple of weeks ago for 26k. I looked at LCD's only. I nearly bought a LCD 40" Samsung but our local Tescos only had the display model and wanted new price for it. I wasn't impressed with the Sony range of LCD tellys,I looked at them in 3 showrooms and each time the colour was bad.

Got a deal in Homepro CM last week (one day only...yeah sure)on a Samm-s 32" LED and picked up last night from the new Paradise Centres HP....for 11,000 Bt ...not Baht.d

We only have a local outfits cable (Packnam)in Samut P (no BBC -or CNN)but everyones happy with it and have finally retired the big box...althought being T-land somebody wants it....Good picture

Plasma - heavy on electricity, 2x LCD. Good for fast action like sport.

Check the resolution on cheaper models, some are only 720dpi, not so good for the future with real HD pictures.

Limited life 5 years of heavy use

LCD - Less energy/heat, good for most genre. Never seen a 720dpi model, all full 1080.

LED - Latest technology, less energy, expensive to buy

I own a 40" Samsung LCD :D

My personal feeling is that Panasonic makes the best plasmas but Samsung and LG have pretty good products as well. For LCD I like Panasonic again because they use IPS (in-plane switching) panels which gives wider optimal viewing areas than most other LCDs. Most LCDs have a "sweet spot" where the picture is very good but once you move off-axis the colors begin to wash out. Panasonic only makes LCDs up to 42" so if you want a larger LCD you have to go with a different brand. Some LG brand LCDs employ the IPS technology as well but it isn't usually listed in the spec sheets. My other favorite brands of LCDs are Samsung and Sony. Toshiba, Philips, Sharp and LG also make decent HDTVs.

I recommend staying away from off-brand models for both LCD and plasmas because they tend to have higher failure rates and customer service is usually pretty bad. Don't be swayed by a salesman who tells you that a no-name brand is made by Sony or Panasonic or LG, etc... Off-brand models may well use panels and other parts from various name-brand manufacturers but that doesn't mean they are just as good. There are different grades of panels so Panasonic will use their grade A panels in their own products and sell grade B or even grade C panels to other makers. For a decent budget model Vizio makes pretty decent HDTVs. They are widely available here in the USA but I don't think I've seen any in Thai stores. I'm not sure if they're available in Thailand or not, I haven't seen any.

^Alright, there appears to be some good information here, glad I posted. I will do a little more research and hit the shops armed with a bit more knowledge this time.

You know what they say though, "A little bit of knowledge is dangerous" :lol:

Glad I posted, thanks

Plasma - heavy on electricity, 2x LCD. Good for fast action like sport.

Check the resolution on cheaper models, some are only 720dpi, not so good for the future with real HD pictures.

Limited life 5 years of heavy use

LCD - Less energy/heat, good for most genre. Never seen a 720dpi model, all full 1080.

LED - Latest technology, less energy, expensive to buy

I own a 40" Samsung LCD :D

A five year life expectancy for a heavily used plasma is grossly inaccurate. If I run my Panasonic plasma 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, I can expect it to last over 11 years. Obviously with normal use it will last in excess of 20 years, the same is true for LCDs. There are plenty of 720p models made in both plasma and LCD.. Currently the only 1080p sources available in Thailand are Blu-ray movies and some video games for PS3 and X-Box so there really isn't much benefit in 1080p over the less expensive 720p models at this time. That said, the best models are 1080p but not because of the resolution. They are better because these more expensive models generally have better specs across the board. If you could have two TVs identical in every way except that one was 720p and one was 1080p the human eye (assuming 20/20 vision) is not capable of discerning a difference between the two pictures on a 40" screen beyond a distance of about 5 feet.

I apologize if I sound argumentative, I don't intend it that way. There is a lot of misinformation floating around about HDTV, I'm just trying to clear up some of the confusion. It's great to see that there is finally a tiny bit of HD available on cable in Thailand now. Hopefully it will take off real soon and become widely available like it is other places in the world.

^Alright, there appears to be some good information here, glad I posted. I will do a little more research and hit the shops armed with a bit more knowledge this time.

Glad I posted, thanks

Enjoy your shopping. I'm sure you will be thrilled your new TV whether it be LCD or plasma.

Whatever you get just make sure there's something you want to watch first. I recently bought a 46" Sony LCD, but I'd have to say there are plenty of days it doesn't get turned on because there's nothing I fancy watching. Back home in NZ earlier in the year I watch quite a bit of sport in HD & 16:9 screen ratio. It's far superior to the picture available to me here.

Whatever you get just make sure there's something you want to watch first. I recently bought a 46" Sony LCD, but I'd have to say there are plenty of days it doesn't get turned on because there's nothing I fancy watching. Back home in NZ earlier in the year I watch quite a bit of sport in HD & 16:9 screen ratio. It's far superior to the picture available to me here.

Thats just the thing for me, I don't watch alot of TV, never have, however I do like to watch DVD's and I don't mind that home theatre experience, although it will never match the enjoyment I get from a real hi-fi system. If I were to watch 5-8 DVD's a month I would be lucky. Then aside from that I might watch an hour of crap thai TV, which mainly consists of a group of dopes acting the goat and some idiot making stupid sounds with a noise machine......which most would agreed could be watched on a murky pond.

I probably would enjoy a TV that can be linked to the internet to watch some HD YouTube music videos on and something you can link an xbox up to. I unsuscribed to pay TV because I kept forgetting to turn it on. Anyways, I feel a reasonable LCD I should be able to pick up for somewhere around the 40k mark and 15 years ago plus I spent much more than that on a tube TV, so its good value, IMHO.

Glad I posted, thanks

Enjoy your shopping. I'm sure you will be thrilled your new TV whether it be LCD or plasma.

Thankyou buckeye. I will report back on the purchase or most likely some more questions in the mean time when the next group of salemen confuse me :blink:

My two cents worth is this... I am in the industry of film and television and am presently the only 3D shooter in Thailand. HD took about 5+ years to roll out, 3D has taken a few months with the likes of Avatar pushing the envelope. There are three versions of 3D and you must wear the 3D glasses to view 3D - the TV sets are now selling like hot cakes in Australia, US, Japan and Korea. But the point is - they are expensive and like all technology, it will become cheaper!

But come to the viewing. HD with Blue Ray is at present my choice. I would not go 3D just yet until the technology improves. 3D capability TV's now mostly do not need 'down converters', you just plug in to the HDMI slot or USB thumb drives and the 3D plays/is viewable (as long as you have the glasses) but right now they are costly and of no real benefit.

But Plasma as opposed to LCD - suggest you look at the pixel output and that will give you clarity. The higher the pixel output (suggest look at 1080p not 1080i) and you will be able to work out what you want. The cost of looking at it is up to you and how many hours as affects electricity consumption. Clarity of picture with 3D capability is what I would be going for and don't worry about the plasma or LCD - but try to get the thinnest screen!

Edited by asiawatcher