Morons Guide To Televisions

neverdie

This is a very interesting topic as we all love our "dummy boxes";)

What haven't really been discussed is the size? Some posters write that they regret that they didn't bought a bigger TV. So the bigger the better? I bought a 32" Samsung(the biggest I ever owned) last time, but since we moved to a bigger house I can now see that we need a bigger TV and the 32" can go up in one of the bedrooms upstairs. The distance from the sofa to TV stand is app. 3 mtrs, so obviously the TV over Walking street in Pattaya is slightly too big.:P

At the movement I am leaning towards somewhere between 40-46" and it will be a LCD for sure.

Good point! The optimal size of a TV will depend on the viewing distance. This article will give you some guidelines and read it first before deciding on the size.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/Tv-viewing-distance.html

OMG...that's an intense article! Almost had to get out my trusty old slide rule. :rolleyes:

My good friend has a 55" LED and he sits about 2 meters away. Probably too close for some, but it is AWESOME. Especially when he puts a blueray on! Unreal...just wish I had the money to do it also. :D

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, now I can see that I will properly need something like 46-50" for 3 mtrs distance.

Go for the 50" as a minimum - don't stint yourself :thumbsup:

the one i like comes in a 46 or a 55 and no mater what way i look at it, the 55 is just for guys who arnt happy with the size of their penis or something.

i dont understand ur theory about someone stinting themselves when it comes to a 46 inch job or a 50?

I had another scout about in Power Buy today and got the price for each model in there;

55"

6200 series = 80k baht

6900 series = 110K bath

7000 series = 130k baht

8000 series = 150k baht

46"

6200 series = 60k baht

6900 series = 60k baht

7000 series = 80k baht

8000 series = 100k baht

I saw the same series and models of LCD next to LED and to me the difference is night and day. The motion on the LED was near perfect compared to the stuttering LCD, and the picture quality of the LED was much better compared to the same series of of LCD. I know that LED technology is supposed to be LCD wth different lighting but demo them side by side and you'll see the massive difference in quality. I'm definitely paying the extra money for the LED technology now.

Power Buy has Avatar running as a demo on the HD LCD and LED TVs (I'm sure this isn't even released on Blu Ray yet so maybe this is an upscaled DVD...) and to be honest the LED TVs make it look like the CGI film it is, it's really like watching a PS3 intro, but the LED TVs show it in the full detail, it's superb. It destroys the film's atmosphere and makes it look like a game but it is impressive.

The best price ive had on the 8000 series (46 inch) is 115,000 (but that came with a bonus 3d kit and a samsung blue ray player).

I like this TV but was hoping to get it a tad cheaper than that....100k sounds okay. There seems to be a couple of various models of the 8000 around, I wonder if that explains your price verses mine?

UKMatt,

You had me wondering about the prices you obtained on the Samsungs & got me on the trott today.

I worked out that above you quoted 100,000 baht on a 46 inch 8000 model Samsung and now I know why. For around that price & a bit better you can get the B8000 46 inch which is the NON 3D version of the Samsung 46 inch C8000 set, which goes for 119,990 & I got one price at 115,000.

Theres a few tricks in this game and model numbers do vary ever so slightly but means a whole heap of different features. So fekking confusing.:blink::crazy:

UKMatt,

You had me wondering about the prices you obtained on the Samsungs & got me on the trott today.

I worked out that above you quoted 100,000 baht on a 46 inch 8000 model Samsung and now I know why. For around that price & a bit better you can get the B8000 46 inch which is the NON 3D version of the Samsung 46 inch C8000 set, which goes for 119,990 & I got one price at 115,000.

Theres a few tricks in this game and model numbers do vary ever so slightly but means a whole heap of different features. So fekking confusing.:blink::crazy:

Yeah, you're right. It's all about the last 3 or 4 letters at the end of the model number that makes the difference.

Most of the prices I got for the 55"'s were taken from the price folder in PowerBuy and didn't include the ending of the model number so I don't know what features are included or excluded. It would be nice to have a definitive list of all the models available in Thailand and what they mean but I think you're just gonna have to be happy with what you find in the shop on the day or spend a lot of time shop-hopping hoping to find a specific model for the rght price.

I have read that plasma screen picture quality will degrade after a few years and so have so far gone the LED route but need to replace more CRT style TVs. I wonder if the newer plasmas that run cooler also extend life of the picture quality?

What you have read is not correct. Anyone moderately educated in HDTV technologies will tell you that the life of the plasma screen is the same as for LCDs. With normal viewing you should easily expect no degradation in your picture for 20 years or so. In fact, the plasma picture actually improves a little over the first year or two.

According to the article linked below, the Samsung cooler Plasmas aren't available yet and will still consume same amount of electricity but spread it over a larger area. Sounds like same amount of heat but might extend life of picture quality???

http://hd.engadget.c...running-cooler/

What this article probably mainly is referring to is a new generation of LCD/LED TVs that will be fitted with a new film. This will probably extend the life-length of the liquid crystal diodes (LCD). One major disadvantage with the LCD/LED TVs is that when a diode breaks that part of the screen will leave a black "dead" spot.

Plasmas use a complete different technique and are not affected in the same way. The major risk with plasmas is instead burn-in marks if one uses the same channel for too long period of time.

Modern plasma screens are NOT prone to permanent burn-in. This was true of early models but has not been the case for the last several years. You may get temporary image retention that is only visible on a blank or solid screen and not visible for normal viewing. These images fade quickly and are of no significance.

According to the article linked below, the Samsung cooler Plasmas aren't available yet and will still consume same amount of electricity but spread it over a larger area. Sounds like same amount of heat but might extend life of picture quality???

http://hd.engadget.c...running-cooler/

What this article probably mainly is referring to is a new generation of LCD/LED TVs that will be fitted with a new film. This will probably extend the life-length of the liquid crystal diodes (LCD). One major disadvantage with the LCD/LED TVs is that when a diode breaks that part of the screen will leave a black "dead" spot.

Plasmas use a complete different technique and are not affected in the same way. The major risk with plasmas is instead burn-in marks if one uses the same channel for too long period of time.

Modern plasma screens are NOT prone to permanent burn-in. This was true of early models but has not been the case for the last several years. You may get temporary image retention that is only visible on a blank or solid screen and not visible for normal viewing. These images fade quickly and are of no significance.

Buckeye,

You could keep posting that information over and over again & theres always going to be someone that comes into the thread down the road somewhere with the old antage about burn in and plasma life etc etc. The fact is when these things were first marketed anyone and everyone heard about the negatives and think they still apply today, thats just the way things roll.

It seems technology never stops & things are always on the improve to a point. Its funny, I was talking to TV fellow the other day and we both ended up watching a clip on an old tube TV and let me tell you, it was a FANTASTIC picture & one at a fraction of the price :lol:

It seems technology never stops & things are always on the improve to a point. Its funny, I was talking to TV fellow the other day and we both ended up watching a clip on an old tube TV and let me tell you, it was a FANTASTIC picture & one at a fraction of the price :lol:

The brain is a strange organ, it can be fooled.

Many of the broadcast TV channels that I watch look good on my 40" LCD TV.

It is what I am used to. :angry:

My brain even filters out the fact that the image is stretched to fit the wide screen and everyone looks fat.

Thinking back, the first TV images I saw were 405 lines B&W and we thought it was great.

Then came 625 lines with colour, Wow. :D

I recently acquired a Blu-ray episode of The South Pacific documentary, full 1080i

it knocks everything else in to a cocked hat.

Perhaps you need to give your brain a little more exposure??????

Up to you. :thumbsup:

One has to take into account that this test was performed in early 2008 and at that time anyone in the trade could have told you that Panasonic's and Pioneer's plasmas were superior. I am not to sure that would be the case today where especially Samsung's LED TVs have improved considerably.

There are advantages and disadvantages with both techniques and I suppose to best approach is to buy the one that pleases you the most within your budget frame. Don't let the technique do the selection for you, audit them and chose wisely.

The brain is a strange organ, it can be fooled.

Many of the broadcast TV channels that I watch look good on my 40" LCD TV.

It is what I am used to. :angry:

My brain even filters out the fact that the image is stretched to fit the wide screen and everyone looks fat.

Thinking back, the first TV images I saw were 405 lines B&W and we thought it was great.

Then came 625 lines with colour, Wow. :D

I recently acquired a Blu-ray episode of The South Pacific documentary, full 1080i

it knocks everything else in to a cocked hat.

Perhaps you need to give your brain a little more exposure??????

Up to you. :thumbsup:

Actually old mate, what is it that you think I've been up to over the last couple of weeks. I have exposed the brain to plenty of Plasma, LCD & LEDLCD tellies.

I wasnt trying to suggest the picture on the tube telly was better than the other options, but price considering, especially when looking at higher end units, the tube picture wasnt looking to bad at all. Ohh and the quality of those vary too.

Anyway, I am somewhat more educated about these tellies now, I just have to position myself to part with the cash (remember, im tight as). :lol:

So what are you leaning towards now? I also need to buy something fairly soon. And money will be a big issue. I would like to spend 30k Baht or less...but also want a 50" 1080p TV. Seems I am in trouble! Might have to go with a smaller one... :(

Actually old mate, what is it that you think I've been up to over the last couple of weeks. I have exposed the brain to plenty of Plasma, LCD & LEDLCD tellies.

Good, but do the guys in the shop know the difference?

The source of the picture is just as important.

If you feed a top range Plasma set with a standard def TRUE signal it can look crap,

even worse with the local cable network or a CD video as input.

Feed a cheaper and smaller LCD with a BluRay signal and it can look superb.

You have to be sure you are comparing like with like.

A few years back when I was buying my Hi Fi system I carried my own cd's.

Listening to some half arsed low quality mp3 disc, or its equivalent, that they happen to have in the shop

is no way to make serious decisions about parting with large lumps of cash. :bah:

Take care.

Good, but do the guys in the shop know the difference?

The source of the picture is just as important.

If you feed a top range Plasma set with a standard def TRUE signal it can look crap,

even worse with the local cable network or a CD video as input.

Feed a cheaper and smaller LCD with a BluRay signal and it can look superb.

You have to be sure you are comparing like with like.

A few years back when I was buying my Hi Fi system I carried my own cd's.

Listening to some half arsed low quality mp3 disc, or its equivalent, that they happen to have in the shop

is no way to make serious decisions about parting with large lumps of cash. :bah:

Take care.

Okay astral, now you are hitting the nail on the head with this one & i guess i didnt choose words well before but this was my point. If we are at home and watching thai tv, which I do say 10% of the time (its good for improving thai speach) then you may as well have an old tube tv running IMO. Next, I watch DVD's (not blue rays because they dont rent them out), so again Im not acheiving the ultimate picture of the higher end plasmas/ledlcd's & finally there is true TV & some of that is available in HD (But not all), so, im buying a higher end box for what?

Now the misses, shes a gizmo and techno freak (shes been trying to get me to upgrade my mobile for years - its 7 years old and going strong, so why would i replace it, i only make telephone calls on it).

Anyway, she likes high tech and all the latest features. She likes the 3D Samsung & wants to beable to use it online etc. She also wants to buy some of her favourite movies on Blueray. Of course she was getting really excited when she saw the new demo Samsung LED 9000 series with a touch screen remote and you can even watch a picture on that, if you leave the room and dont want to miss the action......she also liked how thin it was (less than 1cm) and then she noticed the look on my face (I don't think so dear :bah: , thats silly talk to spend that sort of money on a telly).

The 8000 series Samsung LED seems to have all the good specs & the picture is very sharp & I didnt notice any of the motion issues that I noticed with lower end sets. I really feel I only need a 46 inch TV, So thats what Im leaning towards at this stage. I am a little bit torn because Ive seen a couple of nice Plasma TV's but the other half doesnt want a plasma.

I am now wondering, with the release of the 9000 series LED's just about 6 weeks away, should I wait for that and see if the 8000 series price drops, im not sure. The best price ive had on a 8000 3d job in the 46 inch is 115k (which included a 3d samsung blue ray player and the 3d kit). My way of thinking is this price may drop to under 100k after the release of the 9000 series, but maybe im wrong.

I have done research and posted and given links, I have 3 LCD TV's and 1 Plasma and the OP ( Neverdie) has not even bothered to comment, he's too busy sucking up to Astral. ( You 2 should get a room ).

The ignorance on this topic is amazing, we have people stating that LCD is superior, LED is superior...total crap, Plasma will blow both away, period. It's been proven over and over again.

You want PQ get a Plasma, You have a bright room and are not too bothered about PQ, get an LCD or LED.

IMF!

I have done research and posted and given links, I have 3 LCD TV's and 1 Plasma and the OP ( Neverdie) has not even bothered to comment, he's too busy sucking up to Astral. ( You 2 should get a room ).

The ignorance on this topic is amazing, we have people stating that LCD is superior, LED is superior...total crap, Plasma will blow both away, period. It's been proven over and over again.

You want PQ get a Plasma, You have a bright room and are not too bothered about PQ, get an LCD or LED.

IMF!

Actually GM, I watched the first utube vid you posted just this afternoon. Thanks for that. I thought it was quite good much better than the second video which was posted in 2007, which to me can't possible take into consideration advances in the field in the last 3 years.

I'm not sure on what your frustration is about doing research and posting links & heavens forbid me not commenting, but thats the way things roll sometimes (i know, my bad).

Of course other people travelling behind us might appreciate you work too, but you probably didnt think about that.

The rest of your latest comment requires no response other than to suggest you grow up a little bit. ;)

IMF!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I do agree with you, plasma is vastly superior.

If we are at home and watching thai tv, which I do say 10% of the time (its good for improving thai speach) then you may as well have an old tube tv running IMO. Next, I watch DVD's (not blue rays because they dont rent them out), so again Im not acheiving the ultimate picture of the higher end plasmas/ledlcd's & finally there is true TV & some of that is available in HD (But not all), so, im buying a higher end box for what?

Now the misses, shes a gizmo and techno freak (shes been trying to get me to upgrade my mobile for years - its 7 years old and going strong, so why would i replace it, i only make telephone calls on it).

Given that scenario, I recommend buying the cheapest 40-50" plasma that you like the look of, and not worry about the rest.

I do agree about the phone. :thumbsup:

Since I am also a potential TV and have considered a Samsung 55" LED LCD TV of the 6,000 series, this thread has interested me.

I have always believed Pioneer Plasma TVs were superior but they stopped their plasma TV production 2008. They used a patented technique that made their products superior. Now an old from of mine back in Sweden has told me that Panasonic has bought the license to use Pioneer's patented technique and that Panasonic is using the technique in their V-series, which he regards to be the absolute best large screen TV on the market today.

My friend is in the trade, has a MSc, and is a technical guru who usually knows what he is talking about. He doesn't work for Panasonic.

http://www.panasonic...lav/tv/plasmatv

I don't have any evidence to support this statement other than just trust for my friend and his competence.

Since I am also a potential TV and have considered a Samsung 55" LED LCD TV of the 6,000 series, this thread has interested me.

I have always believed Pioneer Plasma TVs were superior but they stopped their plasma TV production 2008. They used a patented technique that made their products superior. Now an old from of mine back in Sweden has told me that Panasonic has bought the license to use Pioneer's patented technique and that Panasonic is using the technique in their V-series, which he regards to be the absolute best large screen TV on the market today.

My friend is in the trade, has a MSc, and is a technical guru who usually knows what he is talking about. He doesn't work for Panasonic.

http://www.panasonic...lav/tv/plasmatv

I don't have any evidence to support this statement other than just trust for my friend and his competence.

Before Pioneer pulled the plug on their plasma TV production they had already announced a partnership with Panasonic. Panasonic was going to be making the plasma panels and some other parts for Pioneer televisions. Ultimately Pioneer opted to just abandon TV production altogether but Panasonic does have access to the Pioneer technology. Pioneer made the absolute finest HDTV displays however they were very expensive and there just weren't enough people willing to pay their premium prices.

Edited by Buckeye911

For those interested in the Panasonic Viera Plasma V-series here are some valuable information:

Model: TH-P42V20 (42"): Price 49,990 baht

Model: TH-P50V20 (50"): Price 69,990 baht

Technical Information: http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/asia2010/product/v20_plasma_spec.html

Panasonic Thailand also mention a V-series 65" model, TH-P65V10 that is priced at 199,990 baht, but I cannot find any detailed technical information in English for this product.