Thai Tradition - Maternity Gifts

NickYa

Hello

:wai:

I wonder if anyone can advise me, please? I'm happy to say that my Thai Wife is due to give birth to our first baby in about a month, and I would really like to surprise her with a traditional Thai maternity gift, if there is such a thing. Back in the UK we have maternity rings etc, but I know nothing of Thai tradition in this situation. Is a gift for Mum expected, and, if so, can someone advise me on what would be appropriate and traditional, please?

As I want to keep it a complete surprise I didn't want to ask my Wife, or the family and friends, so I thought I'd ask here.

Any other information about Thai traditions around the time of birth would also be much appreciated. My Wife is from Isaan and will be having the baby in Nong Khai province.

Many thanks

Nick

• Like 1

Hello

I wonder if anyone can advise me, please? I'm happy to say that my Thai Wife is due to give birth to our first baby in about a month, and I would really like to surprise her with a traditional Thai maternity gift, if there is such a thing. Back in the UK we have maternity rings etc, but I know nothing of Thai tradition in this situation. Is a gift for Mum expected, and, if so, can someone advise me on what would be appropriate and traditional, please?

As I want to keep it a complete surprise I didn't want to ask my Wife, or the family and friends, so I thought I'd ask here.

Any other information about Thai traditions around the time of birth would also be much appreciated. My Wife is from Isaan and will be having the baby in Nong Khai province.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

2 days ago, I became an uncle again (here in Thailand). My wifes sister is now back home and no mention of any type of maternity gift has been made. This is the second child she has had, whilst I have been over here and the nearest thing to Thai tradition, I have seen is a sort of decoration made out of leaves and shells being hung in the doorway. They are a poor Isaan family BTW.

I understand its to ward of bad spirits (Lau Cow is an exception). :rolleyes:

Probably no help whatsoever, but I thought I'd mention it.

Good Luck to you all :jap:

Hello

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

2 days ago, I became an uncle again (here in Thailand). My wifes sister is now back home and no mention of any type of maternity gift has been made. This is the second child she has had, whilst I have been over here and the nearest thing to Thai tradition, I have seen is a sort of decoration made out of leaves and shells being hung in the doorway. They are a poor Isaan family BTW.

I understand its to ward of bad spirits (Lau Cow is an exception). :rolleyes:

Probably no help whatsoever, but I thought I'd mention it.

Good Luck to you all :jap:

Hi Dave

Thanks anyway. I'll keep a look out for the leaves and seashells - I guess that might be something the Wife and family will arrange.

All the best

many years ago it was considered in Thailand unlucky to buy anything for the baby or its room before the baby was born because if you did the baby may not come. Many changes have occured in customs over the last 35 years so with increased consumerism I doubt this is so now.

many years ago it was considered in Thailand unlucky to buy anything for the baby or its room before the baby was born because if you did the baby may not come. Many changes have occured in customs over the last 35 years so with increased consumerism I doubt this is so now.

first, many issan old fashioned customes like an issan spa (wood fire built under a hammock or bed for the woman who gave birth, in a separate area from the husband... lots of posts about that one); various and sundry hair shaving customs and stories also try searching in the issaan forum...

as for gifts, go with gold: many babies get given ankle bracelets from silver or gold with bells ont htem, entertains the baby , not sure why its done, i like it...

gold for mom...

i also saw some babies were given gold necklaces and or amulets blessed by monks... as debated by many on the forum here, the gold necklaces were accepted, placed on the baby and later removed fro safe keeping (and safety of baby too)... in israel also jewelry is given to mom for each birth (depending on ethnic group); and also here, baby stuff is never never set up til baby is born, announced healthy and ready to come home... considered very very bad luck.

good luck

bina

israel

Can confirm this custom is still strong in my own Thai wifes family.

My kids received an anklet and bracelet with little bells from their aunts when they were born. The mum received nothing.

More recently I've noticed the nieces received those gift packs of baby bath, nappies, milk bottles, powder etc from family after they've given birth.

Hi NickYa

It go’s, I think without saying that Thais, with verifying degrees in tradition, western influence and/or spirit belief, coupled with social background, and the approach to most thing come from so many different angles. I know you say you don’t want to talk to the family, for fear of spoiling any surprise. But if not careful you could inadvertently crate stress in the family…..Sound daft…Right?

One area I find fascinating in Thailand is a perceived interaction of people and the spirit world in a percentage of the population. This belief in sprites cross’s all social boundaries in Thailand, generally, (but not exclusively) in the poorer, less well educated families.

An area for spirit believes that can create worry (and obvious Joy) is the birth of a baby; it’s a belief in Thailand that spirits will attempt to steel babies from the living world. The mother, father and friends will try to play down the child’s presents, (not draw to much attention) sometimes dressing a male baby as a girl, less desirable to the sprites. Another thing done to ward off evil sprites, when people first see the baby, (even total strangers) it is not uncommon to make loud comments, (with a dry smile) on how big the baby’s ears, nose or even being too skinny and ugly “She” is, all to put the spites off the scent.

These beliefs in Thailand range from mildly amusing to irrational fear.

Before you start hanging the “New Baby here” neon sign and fairy light outside the house you might want to try and find out how the wife’s family views the sprite world.

I didn’t write to create any problems for you, but just having read your topic I couldn’t resist sharing this with you and to highlight the diversity of what is Thailand, and the Thai people.

I for one would be interested to know how your wife’s family views the sprite world, in particular new babies.

As for gifts……………… Something from the heart, always go’s down well!

A bit early I know but……congratulations on the birth of your Ugly big nosed Girl!

I am surprised that the whole "baby shower" thing hasn't caught on here yet? Perhaps as mentioned earlier, you shouldn't count your lil chicken before he is hatched.

In our case, no gift for the mother but the son got the gold necklace bracelet thing from relatives.

My kids received an anklet and bracelet with little bells from their aunts when they were born. The mum received nothing.

More recently I've noticed the nieces received those gift packs of baby bath, nappies, milk bottles, powder etc from family after they've given birth.

Just asked the wife and seem's you've hit the nail on the head. Thinking back that why I seem to be going out and spending about 1000bt on pamper's talc ect, once or twice a year. Cheaper than gold. A.

I am surprised that the whole "baby shower" thing hasn't caught on here yet? Perhaps as mentioned earlier, you shouldn't count your lil chicken before he is hatched.

Exactly, according to my wife it is the belief in ghosts trying to steal the baby, as previously posted. The flowers and seashells have an odor that repels the ghosts, for example, and many other related preventions are important to the family. We are in Issan as well and the "superstitions" on many, many things are quite prevalent. So baby showers are probably not going to be a big thing around here. Best of luck with your Ugly, Big Nosed, Big-eared, Girl baby. (although big ears are a sign of intelligence in my village, apparently).

mario299:rolleyes:

Still common, Chinese families much more than Thai. There is an acceptable work around though - buy the stuff you really need to have at birth but store them with a relative. Perfectly acceptable work around... :)

its wierd, how 'oriental' we are here also; then. here we expect a gift after the birth (most of us have bracelets of gold or silver for each child, or a necklace that gets a sort of 'charm' for each child born); secondly, while we are at hospital, husband is busy running around aranging the baby's stuff/room/sleep area or whatever. with my first, i came homw however with empty arms as baby (now 22) had jaundice. was very hard to see all the baby stuff in bedroom but no baby with me...the way we have around the whole bad luck/cultural problem is people by stuff and leave it with the stores until safe birth. most baby stores are used to this.

also, many people here dont give name to baby until 8 day circumcision ceremony. we have tons of traditions and beliefs here depending on the ethnic group u belong to

i dont think issaan thais are that 'primitive' compared to what some of my very well educated friends do/believe with babies.

bina

israel

I was my understanding was that you wanted to give a maternity gift to your wife, which I think is a great idea (a gold ring or such). That is a gift for her not the baby. But I would check also to see if there is any Thai superstition associated with a gift to mother for the birth of a child, if there is I would wait for a later time and give her the gift .

Good Luck, Hope you have a healthy baby.

Cheers: :)

forgot to add: when in husband's village (near korat) we were dragged along by aunties/grannies to some cousin who just got out of hospital with her baby. mom was outside on cot near fire (issaan style) and everyone was sitting around making a fuss. we rolled some baht notes and tied with the usual monk-blessed white strings which we tied on to baby's wrist, just like a string tieing ceremony for adults... and of course we all brought baby care products; and baby was given the bell bracelets (silver, none of us is rich enough for the gold ones) too. ...

bina

israel