Myanmar Visa Info

I will get a Visa at the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok again this time, Planing a June trip for a few days.

Last time they wanted to see airline tickets, does that have to be round trip? last time i had to pay for another flight on air asia when I wanted to stay an extra couple days.

pretty sure they want to see RT tickets..

I have never been asked for return tickets.

In fact the only time I have been asked for any tickets is when I want an express (same day) visa.

I have rarely had my return flight booked when going to get my visa at the embassy in Bangkok.

As long as you have your ticket going over this should be fine.

Must be it, I went for the express visa - they wanted to see tickets. About how long for the regular Visa now? do you think I should have a one-way when i show up to apply or pickup? Thanks again

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mitebbots, on 03 Jun 2013 - 20:56, said:

Must be it, I went for the express visa - they wanted to see tickets. About how long for the regular Visa now? do you think I should have a one-way when i show up to apply or pickup? Thanks again

No problem.

3 turnaround times/prices:

Express/same day - need to show the ticket for going over BKK-RGN/MDY. 1250 baht from memory

Next day turnaround. 1040 baht or thereabouts. Pick up next afternoon

Normal/Regular turnaround. 810 baht. Pick up afternoon 2 days later.

Definitely don't need to show ticket at collection - only for application and as far as I know this is for Express only.

If you are doing the regular application - I don't recall them ever asking for a ticket on application.

Loophole when applying for Express turnaround - I have managed to get this without a ticket by saying I am travelling out of Bangkok before travelling to Yangon. ie last time I was heading back to Phuket that night, and I told them this when applying in the morning. They allowed me to pick up the visa that afternoon. No ticket required.

Hope this helps

SVB

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any advantage of having a Business Visa as opposed to a Tourist Visa if you only plan to stay in Myanmar for 1 or 2 weeks at a time?

If you have no contacts with anyone who runs a company there then it would not be possible to obtain a Business Visa would it, even if the purpose was for business?

Is there any advantage of having a Business Visa as opposed to a Tourist Visa if you only plan to stay in Myanmar for 1 or 2 weeks at a time?

Not really. I am aware of people who visit on tourist visas just to scope the place out, before they decide to go down the business road. Many people use a tourist visa to make their first trip to Yangon in order to meet a few locals or expats.

Having said that - arriving off the plane into Yangon dressed in a suit and tie, carrying lots of documents and holding a tourist visa (etc etc) - you get the picture smile.png

If you have no contacts with anyone who runs a company there then it would not be possible to obtain a Business Visa would it, even if the purpose was for business?

Technically - yes. However in this context - Myanmar is no different from many other countries in this regard. A letter of introduction, invitation, or other documentation is nearly always required to obtain a business visa in any country.

• 5 months later...

This look,s good my friend.

Thank you for the repport.

Time for us falang to start to spend our money in Myanmar instead of Thailand, who also begin to be very expensive.

More informations are welcome for us, who don,t know about the lovelt Myanmar.

When now it,s start to be peaceful, it,s time to go there, and support the people, who need turist to come.

Specially the VISA REGULATIONS IN THAILAND ARE TO MUCH ABOUT TO " STEAL MY MONEY ".

Sorry to say this, but it,s the reality.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody

Me and my wife plan to visit Myanmar by land from Phuket , where we stay now. Both ukrainians. VOA is impossible on the land border according to many posts and burmese tourist agency feedback. We are looking for the way to apply for a myanmar visa remotely via a courier service to save time/money on Phuket-Bangkok trip.

Does anybody know is applying via third-party (courier) allowed in Myanmar embassy ? Never got any reply by the phones stated on Myanmar embassy in Bangkok website.

Suggestions on reliable courier would be appreciated as well .

Hi everybody

Me and my wife plan to visit Myanmar by land from Phuket , where we stay now. Both ukrainians. VOA is impossible on the land border according to many posts and burmese tourist agency feedback. We are looking for the way to apply for a myanmar visa remotely via a courier service to save time/money on Phuket-Bangkok trip.

Does anybody know is applying via third-party (courier) allowed in Myanmar embassy ? Never got any reply by the phones stated on Myanmar embassy in Bangkok website.

Suggestions on reliable courier would be appreciated as well .

Why would u wish to enter Burma there?

In reverse, you take a ferry or a flight from MYEIK down to Kawthoung. Everything north of Myeik is accessible overland by bus, car, taxi or from Dawei northbound, train (or you could still take a ferry to Dawei or internal flight(s) if you wish).

I was in Ranong yesterday an crossed over to do visa run with my gf, and I asked about flights, $192 to Yangoon one way,

cheaper to fly to Bangkok and than fly to Yangoon

You can not do Burma visa by carrier but if u find a travel agent in Bangkok to hand carry it to the embassy and pick it up for u that would work

prices if u do it urself

1200 baht same day

1000 baht next day

800 baht 2 days

what i will do is get a early flight up to Bangkok, airport to Embassy, pick up in the afternoon and than u only need stay one night in Bangkok

The last timw I was in Burma my girlfriend a Thai had to have a visa. I stayed at the Thermada my first trip about 6 or 7 years ago it's good value for the money. MisterBean is that very attractive lady still working at the check in desk.

The main Pagoda is defiantly a must see and the reclining Buddha. The Strand Hotel is worth a visit for a drink a lot of expats will be found there on Fri. and Sat. night

Did the TGF have to get her visa in BKK?

The last timw I was in Burma my girlfriend a Thai had to have a visa. I stayed at the Thermada my first trip about 6 or 7 years ago it's good value for the money. MisterBean is that very attractive lady still working at the check in desk.

The main Pagoda is defiantly a must see and the reclining Buddha. The Strand Hotel is worth a visit for a drink a lot of expats will be found there on Fri. and Sat. night

Did the TGF have to get her visa in BKK?

Not sure that you'll get a reply from the member you quoted - that post is 3 & 1/2 years old.

But yes, currently Thai nationals still have to apply for a visa before travel at the embassy in Bangkok

This is set to change very soon following an agreement signed recently (see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692032-14-day-entry-visa-to-be-exempted-for-thais/)

For now, until we have a confirmed post of a Thai national travelling without a visa - you are best to arrange this beforehand.

Airlines are still knocking back travellers who try to check in without a valid Myanmar visa in their passport before travel.

Airlines are still knocking back travellers who try to check in without a valid Myanmar visa in their passport before travel.

A small clarification that the above applies to tourists. You can get a 90-day visa-on-arrival at Yangon Airport if you are travelling to take up/continue your employment in Myanmar. But you need to show a letter of invitation from your employer AND a copy of their company certificate of registration, (which must still be within the valid dates - AirAsia staff at Swampy can read Myanmar and will check the small print on the certificate to check its validity)

Simon

A small clarification that the above applies to tourists. You can get a 90-day visa-on-arrival at Yangon Airport if you are travelling to take up/continue your employment in Myanmar. But you need to show a letter of invitation from your employer AND a copy of their company certificate of registration, (which must still be within the valid dates - AirAsia staff at Swampy can read Myanmar and will check the small print on the certificate to check its validity)

Simon

Good point, should have clarified that it is tourists without a visa (or anyone who cannot show supporting documents as to why they should be allowed to travel such as letters showing they will be given a visa on arrival) - who will be knocked back when trying to check in for a Myanmar-bound flight.

I have managed to board a flight without a visa, but I had to show several documents to the Air Asia staff. Weren't any who could read Myanmar on that trip, I sealed the deal by showing previous business visas in another passport for Myanmar before the duty manager let me check in.

And perhaps we should mention Air Asia operates out of Don Mueang now, although I am sure its just a typo by Simon!

• 3 weeks later...

i have just been to yangon for four days for my visa run. chiang mai, yangon round trip 6700 baht on air bagan. very pleasant for a short haul trip, only 45 minutes.

no problem with visa on arrival, a simple form to fill in, one passport photo and $30, also $10 departure tax when you leave. i was not asked to show $300 spending money. it all took ten minutes, i was third in the queue.

as i and others have mentioned before on going to burma, MAKE SURE YOUR U.S DOLLAR BILLS ARE IN PRISTINE CONDITION. immigration and money changers will not accept anything even slightly crumpled, colour faded or with ink markings on them.

i got my new dollar bills, in all denominations from krung thai bank on night market street. (turn left where loi kroh meets the night market, 200yds on the right)

stayed at the panda hotel, which i booked through agoda, $26 a night inc. taxes etc. not bad for the money, check out the reviews.

$7 from the airport to hotel in the oldest taxi in the world!

anybody wanting any more info feel free to pm me.

jerry.

hi can you take and use Thai baht there or only USD thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

After reading all the posts on this V.O.A for Myanmar, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to go to the Myanmar embassy in your country of origin and get a pre-approved Visa from them before doing anything.

That there is no such thing as getting off the plane fronting up to a booth with money, photos and signed form in your hands, that just isn't going to cut it.

• 1 year later...

yep; http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/HowToApply.aspx

thats the one i used for my visa in March

note you get a n email that u print an take with you. ( you need show it before they will allow you to board the flight as well)

than u ONLY get a entry stamp an exit stamp not a full page sticker :-)

Again, thanks for your replysmile.png .

I guess my Thai wife will need the same visa as me (I'm from northern Europe)? Also, I understand that it's not as imperative anymore to carry a load of crisp, undamaged US dollar bills anymore since ATMs are now readily available in major cities?

If I want to exchange into the local currency should I avoid doing it at the airport due to crappy exchange rates as in Bangkok?

best exchange is at airport; ( u can compare rates easily)

i used my thai atm card in April ( SCB) took out the equivalent in kyat to $200 an was charged $11!

Yes she needs a visa as well

When i am there, i use $$ and Kyat

$ for hotels

Kyat for everything else.

• 2 months later...

Just to confirm my understanding: the following applies to visits to Yangon for purpose of tourism UK national).

• A true VOA for tourism does not exist when arriving on any flight from Bangkok
  • The e-Visa does work, costs $50, does not use a page for a visa in the passport
  • Cheapest is to get a visa at Bumese embassy in Bangkok. Can be as cheap as 810 baht. Uses a full passport page for the visa

Is this all correct? Any options I am not aware of?

all correct

using evisa they merely stamp you in and out

no full page sticker

Not sure if the visa at the embassy is cheaper as u need go back and forth from where ever you are an time involved in standing in line/waiting and a night in Bangkok ( can be quite expensive) LOL

ONE big difference is some land borders you can enter Myanmar an travel around the country with the Embassy full page sticker

with an e-visa u cant, only arrival at airport allowed.

• 8 months later...

Can I get a Tourist visa in May 2016 on arrival at Yangon airport?

Older posts here suggest no.

The visa form for downloading in advance seems to suggest that you need a letter from a company in Myanmar.

Thanks I am a Canadian living in Thailand, I want to go for a week for tourism. I am not doing a visa run.

• 2 years later...

Archived