Retirement Visas

As an Ozy thinking of retiring in Thailand,how much exactly is required by way of funds lodged at a Thai bank, & what verification?

Any problems on getting funds out?

Is my monthly pension taxed?

What is required as a first step?

What is the annual proceedure?

Is it best to enter Thailand on a 12 month NON"B"VISA ? to start the proceedure?

I've heard many conflicting stories.

Is 800,000bht or 400,000bht correct?

Does your monthly pension count in the total amount in (Thai Bank)required at the years end renewal ?

eg. 200,000bht lodged can be made up by monthly pension totals over 12 months?

I need to get it right before coming.

Anybody able to help ??

Thanks

This copied from Thaivisa.com but amendments in italics:

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand. During the last month of your visa you may apply for a retirment extension.

Requirements:

1. Application form T.M.7

2. Copy of passport or substitute document (2 copies if applying outside Bangkok). The copy(ies) should include picture page, TM card front and stamp page showing your entry into Thailand.

3. One 4 x 6 cm photo (2 if applying outside Bangkok).

4. 1,900 baht fee.

5. Proof of financial status or pension.

This requires a copy of your passbook (each page) and a letter from the bank confirming the same balance not more that 7 days old (2 copies if applying outside Bangkok). If you take details of your pension to your embassy, they will provide a letter to verify it.

6. Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of a sum of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented - OR a combination of balance in the bank and a monthly income. Example: 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month. The embassy may also confirm your address in Thailand.

6A. A medical certificate not more than 7 days old (2 copies if applying outside Bangkok).

7. If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 50-59 years old, special circumstances may be given. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time. For info: Tel: (02) 287-3905 or 287-3101-10 (ext 2259-61) or ask us.

You are not allowed, by law, to take out of the country more than Bht 50,000.00 in Thai currency, without the approval of the Finance Ministry.

I have on two occasions transferred more than 50,000.00 (in one case Bht 200,000) from my bank in Thailand (Kasikorn) to my own account in a UK bank. The 'permission from the Finance Ministry' was taken care of by the bank (I guess).

Others may know different.

As an Ozy thinking of retiring in Thailand,how much exactly is required by way of funds lodged at a Thai bank, & what verification?

Is it best to enter Thailand on a 12 month NON"B"VISA ? to start the proceedure?

Does your monthly pension count in the total amount in (Thai Bank)required at the years end renewal ?

Anybody able to help ??

Thanks

One important point if you are to recieve an australian aged pension ,you are not allowed to leave australia for more than 26 weeks!! you LOSE!! your pension, the only way to keep it is to return to australia for at least 4 weeks every 6 months. Nignoy

1. You can not work with a retirement extension of stay so a B visa is not what you want. You could come with a single or multi entry O or even a 60 day tourist visa which could be converted but see 2 below.

2. You can qualify and obtain a one year O/A type visa in your home country with no transfer of funds into a Thai bank required until you extend the visa inside Thailand after the first year is over. Requirements as normal medical for contagious disease and police check plus money in your Oz account.

3. The amount is 800k or 65k pension. It can be a combination.

4. To avoid any question of tax bring in savings rather than monthly pension (savings are anything earned in previous year or earlier). There are also probably tax treaty exemptions but no need to use that if savings under present standards.

5. Money is required in account at renewal time each year. You have free use of these funds to support yourself.

Edited by lopburi3

Anybody able to help ??

Thanks

One important point if you are to recieve an australian aged pension ,you are not allowed to leave australia for more than 26 weeks!! you LOSE!! your pension, the only way to keep it is to return to australia for at least 4 weeks every 6 months. Nignoy

Thanks a million for all replies,I'll sit & no doubt come up with further questions.

The standard OZ pension (over65) is fully portable,the only thing that drops off after 6 months is seniors card,so long as you have notified Centerlink before leaving, & mailing address,it continues until you die. "Centerlink am today"

All other pensions finish after 6 months.

I'm I think a full bottle on OZ side. If I can help with any quiries this end,be glad to. Thanks again.

PS there are no new add ons on this budget. (June30/05)

Anybody able to help ??

Thanks

Thanks a million for all replies,I'll sit & no doubt come up with further questions.

The standard OZ pension (over65) is fully portable,the only thing that drops off after 6 months is seniors card,so long as you have notified Centerlink before leaving, & mailing address,it continues until you die. "Centerlink am today"

I'm I think a full bottle on OZ side. If I can help with any quiries this end,be glad to. Thanks again.

Suggest you check with centrelink again, australian age pension is only portable to accredited pension agreement countries which does not include thailand, we were informed of this in no uncertain terms by Centrelink Caboolture ,when we informed them we weremoving to thailand, my wife and I both receive age pensions, we hope your information is correct a 3rd state pension will do us quite nicely thank you :o Nignoy

Anybody able to help ??

Thanks

Suggest you check with centrelink again, australian age pension is only portable to accredited pension agreement countries which does not include thailand, we were informed of this in no uncertain terms by Centrelink Caboolture ,when we informed them we weremoving to thailand, my wife and I both receive age pensions, we hope your information is correct a 3rd state pension will do us quite nicely thank you :D Nignoy

Centerlink International (phone them 131673 in OZ) advise they have many Ozys living in Asia. Local Centerlink offices have some real DODO's & end up phoning International. :o

That accredited agreement countries are a reciprocal arrangements for payment both ways ( doesn't exist for most of Asia) My pension is paid into my OZ acct & I draw down as required. In fact they offered to send a cheque to my home address in Thailand. ( I declined as I could see cheques arriving once a year.) maybe!

Ozy's retire by the million in Asia.

Stay in touch I'm interested in your outcome.

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand. During the last month of your visa you may apply for a retirment extension.

Requirements:

2. Copy of passport or substitute document (2 copies if applying outside Bangkok). The copy(ies) should include picture page, TM card front and stamp page showing your entry into Thailand.

4. 1,900 baht fee.

This requires a copy of your passbook (each page) and a letter from the bank confirming the same balance not more that 7 days old (2 copies if applying outside Bangkok). If you take details of your pension to your embassy, they will provide a letter to verify it.

6. Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of a sum of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented - OR a combination of balance in the bank and a monthly income. Example: 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month. The embassy may also confirm  your address in Thailand.

6A. A medical certificate not more than 7 days old (2 copies if applying outside Bangkok).

7. If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 50-59 years old, special circumstances may be given. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time. For info: Tel: (02) 287-3905 or 287-3101-10 (ext 2259-61) or ask us.

I phoned the above Immigration numbers in Bangkok, no understanding! another number NO ANSWER! $50 for nothing. :o

Requirements:

4. 1,900 baht fee.

6. Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of a sum of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented - OR a combination of balance in the bank and a monthly income. Example: 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month. The embassy may also confirm  your address in Thailand.

I phoned the above Immigration numbers in Bangkok, no understanding! another number NO ANSWER! $50 for nothing. :o

I'm interested in the MAYBE! special circumstances for ill health,I can find no reference to these on The Thai Ministry site??? under any catagory of visa. O/A included.

Help required please.

Also I'm advised by Melbourne Consulate that O/A visas con only be issued in Thailand.??

Logic seems to suggest a NON IMM Multi "B" visa??

Thanks in advance.

1. MFA takes care of O/A visa and it is only available in your country of residence.

2. Immigration takes care of extensions of stay inside Thailand and that is the information cited about special consideration - believe that was to help those under the old system where you had to be 60 years old and a higher deposit requirement for age 55 but if medical conditions were such you could stay on the reduced rate at a younger age.

3. My logic says a non immigrant B visa is illogical as you can not work during retirement. :o

Anybody able to help ??

Thanks

Suggest you check with centrelink again, australian age pension is only portable to accredited pension agreement countries which does not include thailand, we were informed of this in no uncertain terms by Centrelink Caboolture ,when we informed them we weremoving to thailand, my wife and I both receive age pensions, we hope your information is correct a 3rd state pension will do us quite nicely thank you :D Nignoy

Centerlink International (phone them 131673 in OZ) advise they have many Ozys living in Asia. Local Centerlink offices have some real DODO's & end up phoning International. :o

That accredited agreement countries are a reciprocal arrangements for payment both ways ( doesn't exist for most of Asia) My pension is paid into my OZ acct & I draw down as required. In fact they offered to send a cheque to my home address in Thailand. ( I declined as I could see cheques arriving once a year.) maybe!

Have you still got a registered address in Australia; where do centrelink send letters concerning your pension??Nignoy

Anybody able to help ??

Thanks

Have you still got a registered address in Australia; where do centrelink send letters concerning your pension??Nignoy

You must notify Cenetrlink of your contact detail if you know it before you leave or when you arrive in Thailand.

or Telephone reverse charges to notify or email or fax.

The only reason you would have special conditions on departure & renewal is if you in some way do not qualify for a full pension (must have 25 years working life in OZ) Immigrants to OZ that have come left etc & lack the 25years will have special conditions. :D