Recent Dolphin Deaths On Koh Chang

Changian

The number of recorded dolphin deaths on Koh Chang i.e. bodies found, in the past 2 weeks is up to eight now. (There are probably more that have washed up elsewhere or decomposed at sea.) Most of the bodies are intact and eath was probably due to drowing after they were caught in fishermen's nets.

But the adult Irrawaddy dolphin I found this afternoon had been butchered and the meat cut off it. If dolphins are as intelligent as everyone makes out, they might want to steer clear of Koh Chang.

post-56770-083892900 1278506209_thumb.jp

very sad.

but as long as everybody want to eat fish (which i don't) this is the way it will be.

The same happen in Cambodia to the last dolphins in the Mekong, but the people don't stop to butcher them.

Taste above nature...

Sad but true...

If someone want do something for all these endangered species you can find some information on http://web90.server2.kingstaff-server.net/visit-dolphins.html

Apparently there used to be loads of dolphins around Koh Chang and you couldn't go out on a boat without seeing them a decade ago. But not now.

The body of the one in the photo is still on the beach 4 days later - no one seems interested in moving it, smells pretty bad too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out there was another dead one last week that wasn't reported anywhere. A 2.3 metre long Irrawaddy dolphin that was found floating near the shore. So we're up to ten dead dolphins in a three week period now.

I was in Koh Chang recently, stayed for one week, came back to Bangkok on Tuesday. I never saw any dolphins but I did see plenty of jellyfish, I even got stung from one and plenty of dead jellyfish on the beach (I stayed at Panviman).

Actually slightly off topic but I can see you live at Koh Chang, while standing on the beach at Panviman I could always here a distant sound at sea, sounded like a diesel engine but there was never any boats out there, any idea what this is?

I was in Koh Chang recently, stayed for one week, came back to Bangkok on Tuesday. I never saw any dolphins but I did see plenty of jellyfish, I even got stung from one and plenty of dead jellyfish on the beach (I stayed at Panviman).

Actually slightly off topic but I can see you live at Koh Chang, while standing on the beach at Panviman I could always here a distant sound at sea, sounded like a diesel engine but there was never any boats out there, any idea what this is?

I live about 200 metres from the Panviman on the river estuary behind the hotel. The sound you could hear will probably have been the generator from the Panviman. The electricity sometimes goes off during or after heavy rain when either lines are down or they have to be fixed. I can hear it too sometimes, just a rumble in the background. ( Or if you are out on the beach, possibly it was KP Huts generator.)

This time of year you get jellyfish breeding around the estuary mouth so quite a few small ones around Panviman and the beach nearby. Not harmful, just a mild sting. But swimming through them is a weird experience.

very sad.

but as long as everybody want to eat fish (which i don't) this is the way it will be.

The same happen in Cambodia to the last dolphins in the Mekong, but the people don't stop to butcher them.

Taste above nature...

Sad but true...

If someone want do something for all these endangered species you can find some information on http://web90.server2...t-dolphins.html

"but as long as everybody want to eat fish" - what a supremely ignorant thing to say - no wonder the dolphins which apparently in contrast to this person are intelligent animals, are in trouble!

very sad.

"but as long as everybody want to eat fish" - what a supremely ignorant thing to say - no wonder the dolphins which apparently in contrast to this person are intelligent animals, are in trouble!

dont get emotional, just see the facts.

1000s of dolphins end up as by-catch every day. There are methods to avoid these by-catch, but the majority of people dont care what to buy. It should be cheap only.

So my statement is just a fact. The people want to eat cheap fish, this is why the fisherman dont care which method they use to catch fish.

So these dolphins die by drowning, some will be eaten by the fisherman and end up like it is shown here in this thread.

So could you please explain what is ignorant with my statement? I dont get it....

very sad.

dont get emotional, just see the facts.

1000s of dolphins end up as by-catch every day. There are methods to avoid these by-catch, but the majority of people dont care what to buy. It should be cheap only.

So my statement is just a fact. The people want to eat cheap fish, this is why the fisherman dont care which method they use to catch fish.

So these dolphins die by drowning, some will be eaten by the fisherman and end up like it is shown here in this thread.

So could you please explain what is ignorant with my statement? I dont get it....

I've read your ridiculously ignorant posting elsewhere.

It is NOT inevitable that dolphins have to be part of the casualties of the fishing industry and your short-sighted observations are nothing short of useless.

It is NOT inevitable that dolphins have to be part of the casualties of the fishing industry and your short-sighted observations are nothing short of useless.

At least 308,000 whales, dolphins and porpoises are killed in fishing gear each year in the world’s oceans.

Just to give u a few examples - it seems you have no knowledge about the issue:

• Irrawaddy Dolphin (Orcaaella brevirostris); Malampaya Sound, Philippines, Problem: Crab Net/Trap Fishing Population: about 77 individuals

• Irrawaddy Dolphin (Orcaaella brevirostris); Mekong, Mahakam and Ayeyarwady Rivers of Vietnam and in Chilka Lake of India and Songkhla Lake of Thailand, Problem: Gillnet Fishing,Population: 50-70 individuals per population
  • Harbor Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena); Black Sea, Problem: Coastal Gillnets, Population: Unknown
  • Spinner Dolphin (Stenella longirostris) and Fraser’s Dolphin (Lagenodelphis hosei); The Philippines, Problem: Large-Mesh Driftnets and Purse Seines Population: Unknown

The list is endless. And these are the facts.

Whats ridiculous in naming the problem? Can´t you offer a serious explanation? What is ignorant?

At least 308,000 whales, dolphins and porpoises are killed in fishing gear each year in the world's oceans.

Just to give u a few examples - it seems you have no knowledge about the issue:

• Irrawaddy Dolphin (Orcaaella brevirostris); Malampaya Sound, Philippines, Problem: Crab Net/Trap Fishing Population: about 77 individuals

• Irrawaddy Dolphin (Orcaaella brevirostris); Mekong, Mahakam and Ayeyarwady Rivers of Vietnam and in Chilka Lake of India and Songkhla Lake of Thailand, Problem: Gillnet Fishing,Population: 50-70 individuals per population
  • Harbor Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena); Black Sea, Problem: Coastal Gillnets, Population: Unknown
  • Spinner Dolphin (Stenella longirostris) and Fraser's Dolphin (Lagenodelphis hosei); The Philippines, Problem: Large-Mesh Driftnets and Purse Seines Population: Unknown

The list is endless. And these are the facts.

Whats ridiculous in naming the problem? Can´t you offer a serious explanation? What is ignorant?

I think you've got "googlitis"

It's a disease that makes the sufferer think that if he or she cuts and pastes enough from the internet they will appear or become intelligent.

You often get posters here who "know everything" -- about a subject but sadly understand nothing.

googlitis is worse, because unfortunately not only do they understand nothing they know nothing too.

deeral, i was sailing in the east mediterannean and the black sea for many years - only a blind dont see what changed in the oceans. there is no need for googleing around.

i wonder how someone may think that everything is all right or that nothing changed within the last decades. i wonder how someone think that u can find wrong information on the internet only.

last but not least i wonder how someone can ignore the facts. or say that the facts are ridiculous. AND NEVER BRING HIS OWN ARGUMENTS!

where r ur facts? u just criticize, but dont bring any facts by ur own. nothing.

u only talk around

deeral, i was sailing in the east mediterannean and the black sea for many years - only a blind dont see what changed in the oceans. there is no need for googleing around.

i wonder how someone may think that everything is all right or that nothing changed within the last decades. i wonder how someone think that u can find wrong information on the internet only.

last but not least i wonder how someone can ignore the facts. or say that the facts are ridiculous. AND NEVER BRING HIS OWN ARGUMENTS!

where r ur facts? u just criticize, but dont bring any facts by ur own. nothing.

u only talk around

It's seems such a pity you have failed to benefit from even your own experience then doesn't it?

It's seems such a pity you have failed to benefit from even your own experience then doesn't it?

to bring this to an end:

it seems u r a blatherer. still no input from ur side, nothing.

stop living in a phantasie world - face the reality.

by declaring common information as ridiculous u can not make everyday occurences unhappen.

facts cant be wished away.

it seems u living in ur own dreamsworld, but hey, reality is out there, and everyone can see and explore it by him/herself.

just open ur eyes...

to bring this to an end:

it seems u r a blatherer. still no input from ur side, nothing.

stop living in a phantasie world - face the reality.

by declaring common information as ridiculous u can not make everyday occurences unhappen.

facts cant be wished away.

it seems u living in ur own dreamsworld, but hey, reality is out there, and everyone can see and explore it by him/herself.

just open ur eyes...

...I presume by " to bring this to an end" means you will not be posting any more?

If the dolphins are being captured and killed for their meat, rather than butchered when found dead on the beach, it presents a different scenario.

Trying to say that these animals are the result of getting caught in fishing nets and then inferring that this is inevitable is quite pathetic.If the story represents an upsurge in dolphin deaths in the area then it should be investigated.

I believe as they are mammals dolphin meat is red meat?

I'm afraid that kind of over simplistic approach suggests you really haven't given the matter much thought

What about the poor unfortunate souls that are reduced to this crime of necessity to survive, do they not deserve our sympathy and moral outrage that we all cant afford to eat dolphin safe canned tuna? Pathetic indeed.