Thought For The Day

Neeranam

Or, loving our family and friends is easy, but can we love our enemies?

I must say that I can't love my enemies, yet!

I have made a lot of progress though in the last few years.

I find that if I pray for them then they seem to cease being enemies.

I look on them as being sick people who I want to get better.

I often have to say, "please let them get what they deserve", which is one way of getting round praying for good things for them.

Maybe one day, I will be able to love them.

There is no good, and there is no evil, only the subjective perception thereof.

All depends on how you look at it.

"A stick is just a stick, until you need it for something. Then it's either too long or too short."

--Korean Zen master Soen Sanim

• Like 1

There is no good, and there is no evil, only the subjective perception thereof.

All depends on how you look at it.

"A stick is just a stick, until you need it for something. Then it's either too long or too short."

--Korean Zen master Soen Sanim

'Value creation'

Which is...?

'Basically, that everthing's neutral and only gets a value--positive or negative--through how we relate to it. And these values are beauty, gain and good.'

I digested this for a moment. 'You're saying that we give value to things?'

'Almost. The value's created through through our relationship to that thing, our attitude.'

'And this relates to work?'

'It relates to everything,darling.' Dora smiled. 'The more value we create, especially for other people, the happier we are.'

The Buddha, Geoff and Me: A Modern Story; Edward Canfor-Dumas

Not very profound but If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him....Is he still wrong?

or

If a mute kid swears does his mother wash his hands with soap?

:o

Den

from my quaker high school ( quoting someone from the quakers, sudden alzheimer here :D):

let your lives speak

Love that one, it sums up the whole Quaker approach. Apparently that aphorism is an updated, liberal Quaker interpretion of George Fox's original exhortation, "So let your lives preach ..."

I graduated from a Quaker college, am still a member of Society of Friends. :o

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-07-11 16:10:53)

The worried convict dies many times before he reaches the gallows.

I bet you could substitute "groom" and "altar" there too... 

:o 55 :D

That's funnny you should be on stage Jai Dee!

"Love is, above all, the gift of oneself" - Jean Anouilh. French playwright, 1910-1987

I like this one; it offers some interesting perspectives, when looked at through Buddhist or Christian eyes.

I like it too, but what are the different perspectives it gives you personally?

To me it seems to say something like

Love is something you create - from learning to give (not something that appears out of thin air)

I cannot see other meanings in it though I have tried. Without hijacking the thread, would like to hear your (and anybody else's) perspective too.

• Like 1

"Love is, above all, the gift of oneself" - Jean Anouilh. French playwright, 1910-1987

I like this one; it offers some interesting perspectives, when looked at through Buddhist or Christian eyes.

I like it too, but what are the different perspectives it gives you personally?

To me it seems to say something like

Love is something you create - from learning to give (not something that appears out of thin air)

I cannot see other meanings in it though I have tried. Without hijacking the thread, would like to hear your (and anybody else's) perspective too.

What I was implying (and I'll probably explain this very badly having just come home from a reception) is that from a Christian view you could say the implication is that the lover gives himself to the loved one, for example God.

From the Buddhist point of view could be interpreted as giving his "self" in order that by being selfless he or she is able to be truly compassionate (to be loving to others).

Its all a bit messed up, and requires a many levelled interpretation of the word love not usually contained in the English word love.

QUOTE(Thomas_Merton @ 2005-07-14 11:20:44)

The first thing I see in this quote is that I should give more of my time to my family, not be at work all the time and just giving them money, but give myself physically.

Another thing I see is, I must offer myself without any reservation toward my concept of God.

Another is, I must get rid of self-centredness, the root of my "suffering" and which causes all kinds of fears.

Another is that love IS ABOVE ALL.