Where Can I Get A Bachelors Degree?

I am moving to Thailand end of this month. I hope to teach English in the future but dont have a BA.

I am searching for Universities that offer an Education program or Liberal Studies program spoken in English.

So far I have found Mae Fah Luang University (MFU), in ChiangRai, offering a BA in Thai Language and Culture.

Which sound great, but i want to explore all options.

Any wisdom to bestow on this topic? Thanks!

Payap University (http://ic.payap.ac.th/) in Chiang Mai is a great place to study.

Payap has an English Communications degree that you might like.

Payap also has pretty decent dorms. Check out the Paradornparp International House

I'm in my 3rd year of study there. If you would like a tour, send me a message and let me know.

Edited by richard10365
  • Like 1

Try Khao San Road in Bangkok.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Just ignore me.

I remember a few years ago the Khao San Road graduates were getting arrested in Bangkok for having fake degrees. You can try if you like. You might get away with it....but then again....

I remember a few years ago the Khao San Road graduates were getting arrested in Bangkok for having fake degrees. You can try if you like. You might get away with it....but then again....

Well a real BA from a Thai uni doesn't carry much more weight, and are just as easy to obtain:whistling:

Well a real BA from a Thai uni doesn't carry much more weight, and are just as easy to obtain:whistling:

That is 100% not true. If you email any university in the world and ask if they would accept a degree from any Thai university to continue their education (grad school), the answer would be 100% yes.

For example, according to the University of Southern California (UCLA), as long as the university is approved by that countries Ministry of Education or equivalent, you meet all the other entrance requirements, and your application is approved then you can study in places like UCLA, Harvard or Cambridge University in the UK. Feel free to email the top universities in the world as I did and ask them. Then submit your Khao Sarn Road diploma and see what happens.

While past international educational standards in Thailand were a bit lacking, today they are quite competitive. However, I can understand why some people who are not studying in an international educational program in Thailand might be ignorant to the quality of education they can receive in Thailand. Most of their comments reflect their lack of involvement in the educational system and they have to depend on second hand information for knowledge of a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

If you feel a degree is so easy to get, enroll in a university in Thailand and find out for yourself just how easy or hard it is to graduate.

That is 100% not true. If you email any university in the world and ask if they would accept a degree from any Thai university to continue their education (grad school), the answer would be 100% yes.

For example, according to the University of Southern California (UCLA), as long as the university is approved by that countries Ministry of Education or equivalent, you meet all the other entrance requirements, and your application is approved then you can study in places like UCLA, Harvard or Cambridge University in the UK. Feel free to email the top universities in the world as I did and ask them. Then submit your Khao Sarn Road diploma and see what happens.

While past international educational standards in Thailand were a bit lacking, today they are quite competitive. However, I can understand why some people who are not studying in an international educational program in Thailand might be ignorant to the quality of education they can receive in Thailand. Most of their comments reflect their lack of involvement in the educational system and they have to depend on second hand information for knowledge of a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

If you feel a degree is so easy to get, enroll in a university in Thailand and find out for yourself just how easy or hard it is to graduate.

So I am ignorant and dependant on second hand information?

I recruit a lot of Thai 'graduates' and I see their curriculum which is somewhat akin to secondary education in the western world.

Please tell me where basketball, home economics, and social studies fit into a BSc in Mechatronics, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering?

It's a joke, my anomoly is a Bachelor's is equivalent to high school in the west, a Masters equivalent to senior high (or A Levels for us Brits), and a PHD is getting close to a proper Bachelor's (in the UK at least, I would imagine it's a little bit easier state side).

This topic is about an international program here in Thailand. Since you deal with only Thai graduates, perhaps you are ignorant of this subject.

Twice you call me ignorant, a little OTT don't you think?

This topic is about an international program here in Thailand. Since you deal with only Thai graduates, perhaps you are ignorant of this subject.

Twice you call me ignorant, a little OTT don't you think?

I didn't call you ignorant. I just implied you might be ignorant of international educational programs here in Thailand. That doesn't make you totally an ignorant person.

Perhaps in the UK implying someone might be ignorant of a certain subject is insulting. I apoligize if this offends you.

I hope that my information has enriched your knowledge of international programs. Now that you know, you are no longer ignorant about this particular subject. However, contrary to what I said earlier, now you are getting 2nd hand information from me.

I suggest you stick to the topic at hand. The quality of universities is going to differ. Some have excellent programs in one area, but not as good in others. This is a world-wide phenomenon, not unique to Thailand. Getting into a graduate school will depend on your scores on scores on the admissions test. Graduating from University X does not mean that University X will allow you study at the post graduate level.

If someone wants to get a degree in Thailand and wants information about Thai Universities, then that is what should be provided. Stay on topic.

• Like 1

I suggest you stick to the topic at hand. The quality of universities is going to differ. Some have excellent programs in one area, but not as good in others. This is a world-wide phenomenon, not unique to Thailand. Getting into a graduate school will depend on your scores on scores on the admissions test. Graduating from University X does not mean that University X will allow you study at the post graduate level.

If someone wants to get a degree in Thailand and wants information about Thai Universities, then that is what should be provided. Stay on topic.

I totally agree with you Scott. That is what I said in paragraph 2 of post number 9. I think the topic on hand was sidetracked a bit when the quality of a Thai education was was jokingly rediculed a bit. Thank you for getting it back on track.

As I said before, Payap University in Chiang Mai is a great place to study. :D

• Like 1

Being a "newbie" to the thaivisa forum i found the replies constructive, controversial and comedic. Thanks to everyone who provided university info. I have started to look into the suggestions and find them to be good options. Though the degree from MFU in Thai Language and Culture still is still most appealing. I have no interest what western universities think about a thai gegree, or anything else for that matter, but found the dialouge thought provoking. Though, i would imagine many people on this form share a love for Thailand, I am surprised at the number of people who fell Thailand is somewhat substandard in academics and education.

Anyway, I just need to get a BA so i can tell and i would like to benefit from the education while i am at it. I hope this doesn't open a can of worms, but, is my understanding that it is NOT possible to teach in Thailand without a BA correct?

Maybe, I should have started with that question, though i think i committed to perusing my BA for general enrichment at this point. Thanks again for the info. It was helpful.

Being a "newbie" to the thaivisa forum i found the replies constructive, controversial and comedic. Thanks to everyone who provided university info. I have started to look into the suggestions and find them to be good options. Though the degree from MFU in Thai Language and Culture still is still most appealing. I have no interest what western universities think about a thai gegree, or anything else for that matter, but found the dialouge thought provoking. Though, i would imagine many people on this form share a love for Thailand, I am surprised at the number of people who fell Thailand is somewhat substandard in academics and education.

Anyway, I just need to get a BA so i can tell and i would like to benefit from the education while i am at it. I hope this doesn't open a can of worms, but, is my understanding that it is NOT possible to teach in Thailand without a BA correct?

Maybe, I should have started with that question, though i think i committed to perusing my BA for general enrichment at this point. Thanks again for the info. It was helpful.

You do need a BA degree to teach legally :whistling: in Thailand.

Not exactly true. You do NOT need a Bachelor's degree to teach. The law doesn't specify that. However, it is hard to get a job and a Teacher's License and ultimately a Work Permit without one.

Not exactly true. You do NOT need a Bachelor's degree to teach. The law doesn't specify that. However, it is hard to get a job and a Teacher's License and ultimately a Work Permit without one.

I stand corrected. What Scott says is correct. I started studying at Payap when I couldnt get a teaching license because I didn't have the required bachelors degree needed to get my teaching license.

Apologise, Scott. The law, that is the National Education Act BE 2542 (1999) with reference to the Teachers and Education Personnel Act 2003, state that all teachers should have a degree.

Along the lines of not needing a BA, many if not all the TESOL and TEFL cert companies (in Thailand) require submission of your BA before enrolling. If you dont in fact need a BA there is never-the-less a definite push in that direction. I wish there was a clear guild line about it. Has anyone seen anything official on a site?

teflcoursethailand.com/who-should-attend-tefl.shtml

"" A native speaker has great demand as an English language teacher in non English speaking countries. All that the native speaker must possess are:

• A TEFL certificate

• A degree in any discipline from any accredited university

• A valid passport

• A permit to work in foreign soil. ""

All the other schools I contacted said they require a BA and would need to provide it.

Edited by Scott
direct link edited out/Scott

• 5 weeks later...

On the topic of the need for a BA to teach: The school I got my TEFL certificate from in Thailand suggested using a "diploma mill" degree. These are companies that give a 10 minute test over the internet and award a self-accredited "Bacholers" for only about 500 or so American dollars. At the time (2006) the Thai MOE accepted this...they expected the individual school to evaluate their prospects' creditentials. The school I got my TEFL certificate from employed me for three years to work a technical college. Since then, I've enrolled in a University here and changed my visa. Hope this helps.

The enforcement of rules/guidelines in Thailand seem to be haphazard at best.A knowledgeable persons knowledge about one school and their experience, can be completely ignorant about what is happening 200 kilometer up the road, in a similar circumstance. If you think the advice given here is confusing, wait a few months/years and the rules may/will change again. There are Thai university graduates throughout Thailand who are working 15,000 baht/month jobs who are qualified to teach. The salaries vary from north to south, east to west and in between, as do the chances of employment, depending on current needs and what you have to offer.

I can only inform you of my experience as a person in an administrative position. When someone applies for a job, I have to get a copy of their degree, their transcripts and some other documents. I also have to verify the degree is real/authentic. When you Google a school and it is widely reported to be a diploma mill with supporting information (such as newspaper articles, links to news videos etc.), it's a little risky to submit it to the relevant authorities (Ministry of Education). They know some of these schools.

A second problem is the transcripts, which are now 'required'. It's hard to get a transcript which isn't patently fraudulent from a diploma mill.

I don't know that Language schools and other educational institutions in the informal sector require a degree. I don't believe they have to get you a teacher's license either. In this area, however, I have little first hand experience.

Thailand is heading toward having B.Ed.'s for teaching, so rather than just getting any old degree, that's what I would head for.

• 8 years later...