Myanmar (Bagan) Visa On Arrival Us Citizen

I have been to Thailand many times. On my next trip I want to visit Myanmar, and go to Bagan to see all the temples and structures. I read online about the Visa on Arrival, but see so many independent "travel" agents I have my doubts about anything being legitimate. Has anybody recently traveled to Myanmar? Is Visa On Arrival truly Visa on Arrival or do you have to apply in advance, get clearance, pre-approval etc. My travel plans are rarely in advance and usually less than one week's notice. That is why I like Thailand. Easy to go last minute. I would like to do it while I am visiting Thailand. Seems like it should not be too hard to arrange from there.

Thanks in advance

I just phoned the national carrier of Myanmar MAI, and was told the visa on arrival is truly that--just bring two passport photos and pay the fees which vary according to the type of visa and length of stay--seems like $ 40 should cover most.

I just phoned the national carrier of Myanmar MAI, and was told the visa on arrival is truly that--just bring two passport photos and pay the fees which vary according to the type of visa and length of stay--seems like $ 40 should cover most.

Thank you. The details seemed elusive when I was searching on-line, and that always makes me nervous. When answers are not at "arms reach" it often means somebody is scamming, or trying to squeeze some extra money that is not required.