Holiday To Pattaya

cmjantje

Again, I can see nothing wrong with the original post.

Sure, he could have made sure he got all the facts right, and made sure he knew what he wanted and done all the legwork, searched the internet profusely and then posted but what would be the point as he'd have already have answered his own question.

20 odd posts , several posters, varied advice which wouldn't have been given if he was specific.

Just another point of view. my View, maybe its a dumb View but Its my View B)

Its all good. :)

Edited by jubby

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, he could have made sure he got all the facts right, and made sure he knew what he wanted and done all the legwork, searched the internet profusely and then posted but what would be the point as he'd have already have answered his own question.

20 odd posts , several posters, varied advice which wouldn't have been given if he was specific.

As usual, your particular slant on things, all self deprecating and all, has validity. An interesting discussion resulted, whether that was the intent or not. :)

I think that some people will start a topic, as many do a conversation, with a question that they already have a fair idea of what the answer is, in the hope that the resulting discussion will either improve on it or reveal something that the OP wasn't aware of.

Travel in Thailand can be a little frightening for the less confident when you get off your "patch". I'm formulating plans to drive to Nong Khai in October so if they come to fruition I may be guilty of something like that in the Isaan forum. :)

As usual, your particular slant on things, all self deprecating and all, has validity. An interesting discussion resulted, whether that was the intent or not. :)

OK, this time without the self deprecation. When did you become the forums moderator ? .

I'll be at that Bar that Scea mentioned having a beer with Limbo if anyone wants me B)

I think that some people will start a topic, as many do a conversation, with a question that they already have a fair idea of what the answer is, in the hope that the resulting discussion will either improve on it or reveal something that the OP wasn't aware of.

Travel in Thailand can be a little frightening for the less confident when you get off your "patch". I'm formulating plans to drive to Nong Khai in October so if they come to fruition I may be guilty of something like that in the Isaan forum. :)

Exactly Scea. Thank You

OK, this time without the self deprecation. When did you become the forums moderator ? .

I'll be at that Bar that Scea mentioned having a beer with Limbo if anyone wants me B)

It seems to me, we have had this discussion before and recently at that. You will pull the forum in one direction and I in another. Everyone will benefit for it. I will honor your hallowed domains of bars, beers, balls, buttocks and assorted bedlam, enjoying your humorous tales along with everyone else. And you will not extend the favor, continuing to tell me I have got it all wrong. A wonderful partnership, of sorts. ;)

I certainly don't see that we are pulling in opposite directions VF.

Its not Good versus Evil. I contribute , you contribute.

I certainly don't think your always wrong, but like has been said eloquently by someone already :-

'I believe your intentions are good but you are going about it the wrong way. If you want more people to post more often then don't jump up from behind your keyboard with a smart ass remark everytime a reply doesn't pass the Village Farang quality test !'

I know , You still don't see it, No worries as they say :unsure:

We'll no doubt have to agree to disagree... ........... AGAIN :lol:

I agree with the ones who think that asking a question on a forum is usefull because you don't have to invent the wheel again. And all those who are "so funny" or have a problem with people asking questions should read a book or whatever but don't try to make a forum a fighting place. As one of you already remarked... that is why there is a PM possibility.

By the way... also this post is :offtopic:

'I believe your intentions are good but you are going about it the wrong way. If you want more people to post more often then don't jump up from behind your keyboard with a smart ass remark everytime a reply doesn't pass the Village Farang quality test !'

Spot on.

There is a great mix of people posting here. Oldies, newbies, native and non native speakers and many of them don't get it right first time and do not deserved to be flamed.

If you don'r like someone's post leave it alone, someone else might come along that might be more helpful.

Also it seems to me that some people are very, very keen to make an impression and are always looking for a big post count or points.

That's my tuppence worth.

Peace

Edited by dindong

So the consensus seems to be that it is okay to critique me as a person, and my posts, but not for me to critique other's posts in an effort to be helpful. Okay, that sounds fair to me, I guess. :wacko:

(If you don't like someone's post leave it alone,) that obviously doesn't apply to everyone. :whistling:

Edited by villagefarang

So the consensus seems to be that it is okay to critique me as a person, and my posts, but not for me to critique other's posts in an effort to be helpful. Okay, that sounds fair to me, I guess. :wacko:

(If you don't like someone's post leave it alone,) that obviously doesn't apply to everyone. :whistling:

:violin:VF, surely you must know when you are writing some of your posts that you are likely to rile someone with what you are writing? You can't pretend to be a completely inncocent party here, whenever there is any inkling of a disagreement or cyber-argument on the CR forum you are often involved and right in the middle of it. I'm often confused by some of your replies as you say you want more newbies to join in and other members to participate more but when they do you sometimes antaganise them which won't really fill them with confidence. I remember a while back that one or two members said they won't ever post again on the CR forum due to run-ins they had with you and at least one other newbie who was shot down by the VF tank on their maiden post, not to mention our friend with the moustache who seems to have disappeared.

I'm not saying you are always in the wrong and I enjoy reading your posts, and as you seem to have quite a fan-club there are many others who do too, but try to remember that you are a professional blogger and swallowed a dictionary when you were a kid but most people on here aren't and didn't.

Right, time for a :coffee1: I think.

:violin:VF, surely you must know when you are writing some of your posts that you are likely to rile someone with what you are writing? You can't pretend to be a completely inncocent party here, whenever there is any inkling of a disagreement or cyber-argument on the CR forum you are often involved and right in the middle of it. I'm often confused by some of your replies as you say you want more newbies to join in and other members to participate more but when they do you sometimes antaganise them which won't really fill them with confidence. I remember a while back that one or two members said they won't ever post again on the CR forum due to run-ins they had with you and at least one other newbie who was shot down by the VF tank on their maiden post, not to mention our friend with the moustache who seems to have disappeared.

I'm not saying you are always in the wrong and I enjoy reading your posts, and as you seem to have quite a fan-club there are many others who do too, but try to remember that you are a professional blogger and swallowed a dictionary when you were a kid but most people on here aren't and didn't.

Right, time for a :coffee1: I think.

Yes, you are correct in your assumption that I am well aware of my impact on this forum, both good and bad. In all fairness, I'm pretty much in the middle of everything on the CR forum, not just the disagreements. If someone else would fill the void, I would love to take a backseat.

Clearly it would be unrealistic for me to expect, that there would not be some, who would not appreciate me or understand my humor or wit. As long as things are kept civil, however, I don't see disagreement as a bad thing. It gives people a chance to exercise their grey matter and articulate their thoughts.

You are entitled to your opinion and express it well. In particular I love your long qualifying sentence before you sign off. Very well done. :clap2:

Yes, you are correct in your assumption that I am well aware of my impact on this forum, both good and bad. In all fairness, I'm pretty much in the middle of everything on the CR forum, not just the disagreements. If someone else would fill the void, I would love to take a backseat.

Clearly it would be unrealistic for me to expect, that there would not be some, who would not appreciate me or understand my humor or wit. As long as things are kept civil, however, I don't see disagreement as a bad thing. It gives people a chance to exercise their grey matter and articulate their thoughts.

You are entitled to your opinion and express it well. In particular I love your long qualifying sentence before you sign off. Very well done. :clap2:

"If someone else would fill the void"

Is there a void, and if there is, does it need to be filled?

In the whole scheme of things, being that we're all in Thailand,

we probably don't have much to gripe about.

I am learning to try and bite my tongue and not reply when I see what I

think is a ridiculous post. For example, a couple of weeks ago in the

general forum, a fella asked " what is cheaper to run,

air conditioning or a room fan" :whistling:

Let's all try and play nice gang.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

"If someone else would fill the void"

Is there a void, and if there is, does it need to be filled?

In the whole scheme of things, being that we're all in Thailand,

we probably don't have much to gripe about.

I am learning to try and bite my tongue and not reply when I see what I

think is a ridiculous post. For example, a couple of weeks ago in the

general forum, a fella asked " what is cheaper to run,

air conditioning or a room fan" :whistling:

Let's all try and play nice gang.

Thanks for your support Will. ;)

I for one would hate to see our little forum fall into the void, and disappear, through neglect and inactivity. If the 'readers' would post more and do followup, there would be no need to stir the pot. I second the motion that we all try and that we all play nice. :D

I guess I'll try and bring this back on topic....

@cmjantje:

I would assume you are heading down 'Super Highway' #1 on your trip down to Pattaya? If so, I can recommend stopping in Kamphaeng Phet to break the trip nicely in two. The in-laws live there, so I know the town fairly well. The best hotel to stay at would be the Chakungrao Riverview Hotel (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/kamphaengphet/chakungrao_riverview_hotel.html) - it's bang in the centre of town and, despite what the first 'review' says on Agoda, the river is about 250 metres opposite the front doors of the hotel...!?

Nakhon Sawan would be my next 'best' suggestion for a stopover, but it's about another hour's drive further on. Phitsanulok is a bit off the main highway (although admittedly not that far), but I would go for either Kamphaeng Phet or Nakhon Sawan so you don't need to go too far off track. I'm afraid my knowledge of Nakhon Sawan is very limited, but it's a fair size so you shouldn't have problems finding a decent hotel if you did decide to stop there?

I've driven the route a couple fo times, but personally prefer Cha-Am and Hua-Hin side myself. Maybe a suggestion for your next holiday!? :rolleyes:

Yeah I'll second that emotion too :) . Support the newbies and try to keep the oldies. Its not too much to ask.

Back on topic, I only did that long drive south once, an overnighter. Its a seriously long drive for me now, and I've done a lot of Holiday miles by road in the past. I seem to recall stopping at a road side place just south of Tak. In future I'll probably book somewhere further south, a couple of hours north of Bangkok. I'll check back to this topic when I do.

Peace.

I usually drive from Chiang Mai to Pattaya in one go, but in the past have broken the journey at Kampaeng Phet. Coming from Chiang Rai, this may also be a logical rest point for you also.

In the past I have stayed at the Navara hotel but I cannot find a website for it and it is a little complicated to get to from Highway 1. Perhaps the Chakungrao Riverside Hotel?

http://directrooms.c...phet-22945.htm.

My own driving route:

For a start, if there is not more than one driver, then you will have to plan to make an overnight stop somewhere. I usually drive Pattaya or Rayong non-stop, but am spelled for a time driving by my wife.

Route:Check the map or Google route for Chiang Rai to Lampang

Highway 1 Lampang - Tak 2 hours

Tak - Kamphaeng Phet 1 hour

Kamphaeng Phet - Nakhon Sawan 2 hours

Nakhon Sawan - Ayyutaya 2 hours

Just follow the road signs

As you are approaching Ayyuthaya, look out for the Ring Road number 9 - East bound (left) which will take you around Bangkok (follow the airport signs) This will drop you at the doorstep of the airport Suvanabhumi on Highway 7 - 1 hour

Continue South following signs for Pattaya on highway 7

The Ring Road and parts of Higway 7 are toll way so prepared to have some small demonination notes or change 30 baht per toll

But you can speed up to 120 kph

Suvanabhumi - Pattaya - 1 hour

There are western toilets at

At the service centre 50 KMs south of Nakon Sawan

and the service centre 20 Kms south of Suvanabhumi

Other than that - brazen it out and use the PTT filling stations and use the loo for people with disabilities (which I have and I am sure no one would mind) which is at most PTT/7-11 gas stations

Suggestions for overnight

Khampaeng Phet - Navara Hotel or as listed above

PM me if you need more info

Good luck and have a great holiday

Gladiator

Can you people please stop this fight??

I was only asking for a hotel between CR and Pattaya.

Sorry for my addition to the off topic posts.

If I was driving from Chiang Rai to Pattaya , I usually go the Phitsanulok, Phetchbun road and would stop near to the Lomsak junction not far from Phetchabun.

There are many small cheap and clean hotels near to the juction.

Prices about 300 baht for a fan room with shower.

If you don't really like the drive, perhaps take the overnight NakornChai-Air bus (4 per-day from CR ?), and sleep on the bus ? I recently used their Silver-Class to return from Patters to CM, and while it wasn't wonderful, it does beat a long drive with very-busy roads once you get down to the Bangkok-area. B)

Edited by Ricardo

I have done this trip quite a few times on motorbike. I have stayed at different cities. Where you want to stay depends on different factors, like your budget, and how many stops you want to make. If you want to make just one stop, then probably nakon sawan is the place to stop.

Nakon sawan is a big city. So sure there are many hotels there. I have never stopped there, so I can not give you advice for this place.

Phitsanoluk got a nice cheap hotel called sri song kwae (pronounced see song kwaa). You turn towards phitsanoluk. Road number 11 I believe it is. Or when the road finished in a T-cross. It is right before the bridge. And now I am sorry, I can not remember whether you need to make a u-turn to get there. It is right next to the big temple there. So if you dont find it, you can just make a couple of u-turns. You can walk and see the temple in the morning before you leave, and in the evening there is the nice night bazar to go out, and a couple of nice places to go out for drink as well.

Then there is uttaradit. The best place to play here is Arlee Mansion. I can not remember the direction, but the locals should know where it is. Uttaradit has a lot less night life than Phitsanoluk. Both arlee mansion and sri song kwae has wireless internet, new air con, quiet and less than 500 baht.

You can also stop in lopburi. You should know there are lots of monkey in this town, and they steal from you quite easy. I dont believe they carry rabbies, but I would not deny it. Around the train station (satanee rotfai) there are lots of cheap places to stay. They are somewhat cheap, so not sure you can get like hot water, but you should be able to get a room with an old air con. There are also some nicer hotels (a couple of streets from the train station), but when I was there, they were full.

Being on the road in Thailand and not finding a place to stay. I would not be too worried. I am been on the road in some weird spots. Dont worry. Every single little amphur has at least a couple of places to stay. I am sure your wife knows enough thai to ask rong raam yuu tee nai kha?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I am going tomorrow 4 am. I think the drive will be more than the 11 hours as reported but between 14 and 16.

I will not stay in a hotel but take some nice food and drink, and don't forget, some good music with me.

I report back when I am back, planning to stay 2 full days in Pattaya