BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
villagefarang

Good Things Topic.

Cycling in Chiang Rai is a very good thing. I keep trying different roads but I always return to the 1020 and the 1174 and the various crossroads which connect the two. It is easy to put together a loop of 40 to 100 kilometers depending on conditions. I have just returned from a 91 km ride which was a pretty good effort from me considering the heat today.

• Like 1

I love where I live east of town. This time of year, driving home a little after four o’clock is amazing. The sun low on the horizon provides a visual feast of light and shape, color and contrast. Long shadows and every imaginable shade of green presents as one follows the gentle bends and rolling hills on undulating country roads. Sometimes the sky is a calm blue and other days filled with dramatic towering shapes. This is my favorite time of year and a very good thing in my opinion.smile.png

• Like 2

The highlight of my day was buying a kilo of small dark seedless grapes at the main market, most enjoyable.

The larger ones with seeds are nearly finished but these were worth the few extra baht.

Pomelo (som-o) are in season as well, my cup runneth over.

• Like 2

The Deli behind Aye's Restaurant has some good strong cheddar from Scotland.

Not cheap at 900B a kilo but the lovely lady there will cut a piece off the block to suit all budgets. smile.png

Can she cut a piece tissue paper thin one inch square:)

• Like 1

You can get a shaving device in Central that will remove a layer about that size if you take it in.

I did note that she cuts it with a knife, an extremely simple but effective cheese cutter can be made with piano wire and a pair of dowels.

http://www.marthastewart.com/915934/building-your-own-wire-cheese-cutter

I tried some of the Da Vinci deli's homemade cheese recently. Very tasty, and much cheaper than their imported cheeses.

I like the blue, either grilled on toast or in an omelet.

Yup, I bought half a little wheel of that. Only something like 160 baht, and as you said, delicious in an omelette.

I gotta get back up to the Rai, I just paid 278 baht for 0.178 grams of imported blue, used in cooking it goes a long way but still!

It's worth a trip just to stock up at Hans/DaVinci Deli, the other half is addicted to their Dutch/German style apple pies, the French farmhouse bread is about all I buy now, plus you have the cheeses, bacon and home made sausage.

• Like 1