Good Things Topic.

villagefarang

• 3 weeks later...

I like the verdant green that so lushly blankets both hill and dale during this rainy time of year. So varied in hue as to push ones senses into overload, yet so soothing to the soul.smile.png

Yeah. I can just see you skipping in tune to Julie Andrews biggrin.png

Maybe the Sun always shine on your Pineal Gland and your dopamine levels continue to spike to new levels thumbsup.gif

Why can't we have a few more posts like this one?

walking along chiang rai beach on a cool december morning

watching the rice harvest in mid november from my deck

watching the morning "rush hour" with Thais bundled up on their motorcys like they are going to the artic

watching the afternoon market being set up

buying fruits and veggies at some of the lowest prices on earth from roadside pickup truck markets

watching the gem boat guys sifting through gravel in the mae kok

watching thai kids ride their bikes with their dog following along

watching the young monks doing their morning rounds

riding my motorbike along the mae kok with no traffic in sight

watching the total chaos of saturday shopping at big C

eating fantastic food at give away prices at many CR restaurants

attending the annual chiang rai flower festival

planting a variety of plants/trees in my yard and being amazed at how fast they grow

watching the neighbors get all excited about killing and cooking a snake

walking around downtown chiang rai on a cool clear december morning

having a cold beer in the garden area of peace bar

taking visitors for a tour of the Red Rose Hotel

watching the light show at the clock tower

watching the hustle and bustle of the night market and the mix of thais and tourists

riding the "refugee bus" from chiang rai to mae sai and seeing what kind of characters show up

buying exotic plants at nurseries that would cost a fortune in the west for a few baht

watching the thai high schools students hanging out and goofing around after classes

having a pretty thai girl give me a big smile for no particular reason

having thai kids practice their limited "i am fine" english out on me

practicing my limited thai with thai kids and having them stare wide eyed at the farang before breaking into giggles

watching the beautiful orange blossoms appear throughtout chiang rai

Walking alone at night after a heavy shower watching steam rising from the road surface under the street lights.

Meeting friendly strays when out and about.

Seeing the almost instant change in the country side when the dry season ends. Browns and greys become a variety of greens and birds come out of hiding to sing their happiness at the change of seasons.

• Like 1

Walking alone at night after a heavy shower watching steam rising from the road surface under the street lights.

Meeting friendly strays when out and about.

Seeing the almost instant change in the country side when the dry season ends. Browns and greys become a variety of greens and birds come out of hiding to sing their happiness at the change of seasons.

Thanks for that GarryP.smile.png

Just wonder when they take the step,and change the name of this forum to VF.Forum.

I count one day-18 topics,he was on-amazing.

I think he does a fantastic job.

So coming to Thailand not only results in making one bisexual but it also has the potential to make one see double.laugh.pngclap2.gif

I like the verdant green that so lushly blankets both hill and dale during this rainy time of year. So varied in hue as to push ones senses into overload, yet so soothing to the soul.smile.png

I WANDERED lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed--and gazed--but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

I WANDERED lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed--and gazed--but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

Lovely but perhaps we should credit William Wordsworth for his eloquent “Daffodils”
  • Like 1

A few more good things:

Having a thai worker crew show up at your house on time and with tools.

Listening to the rice planting ladies giggle and joke with each other as they plant the rice.

Learning to dodge and weave and go with the flow as you drive the roads around Chiang Rai.

Letting 3 cars, 12 bikes and 4 pickup trucks turn in front of you even though you have a green light.

Learning to accept that the Thai drivers drove like they do before you arrived and will still drive that way long after you have left.

Buying something in a store and having the staff assemble it for you for free.

Buying larger items and expecting and getting FREE delivery with no hassles.

Having people carry your purchases to your car for you and not expect any tip.

Watching a store clerk create four copies of invoices/receipts/ for a purchase of 50 baht and then rubber stamp each one with vigor.

Learning not to get upset when you are told NO HAB for an item that is on display in a store.

Eating a 20 baht lunch in a high school cafeteria while 300 or so kids stare at the farang.

Waking up to the sounds of the neighbor's chickens crowing.

Emptying an old flower pot and having six or seven frogs jump out of it.

Having the neighbors dog show up in your yard with sad eyes begging for something to eat.

Watching a beautiful sunset from my deck with a cold beer and some good music.

Being amazed at how fast bamboo can grow.

Watching how easily Thais ride motorbikes with umbrellas in both the sunshine and the rain.

Being amazed that I rarely see any car or motorbike accidents.

Wondering why i never see "road kill" in chiang rai when there seems to be a dead dog, cat, possum, or something every few miles in the usa.

Yet another excellent post. You have a knack for capturing those often overlooked moments of life.clap2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I love the rice ladies, I went over to a harvest a couple of years back and asked to take some photos and they all started posing like film stars, even the ones with the full face sun hats on....

There was a guy working with them once, he couldn't keep up.... I suspect a serious hangover was involved. laugh.png

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

You guys are makin me think long and hard about Chiang Rai now. Been planning to locate in Chiang Mai area. But after this, I just don't know. When I come to visit this dec jan and feb, I shall come to the Rai and take a look round. Spent the night there once and checked out the night market. Saw and old Falang man stumbling down the street lookin like death warned over. Wearing tattered rags for clothes and highly inebriated. Left a lasting impression. Obviously the wrong one.

• Like 1

I love the rice ladies, I went over to a harvest a couple of years back and asked to take some photos and they all started posing like film stars, even the ones with the full face sun hats on....

There was a guy working with them once, he couldn't keep up.... I suspect a serious hangover was involved. laugh.png

I stand on my deck and wave to the rice ladies every year...they always joke and try to get me to come down and help them plant or harvest ...and yes they sure do love to have their pics taken don't they....i am told they make 200 baht a day ...that is one TOUGH way to make a living....

You guys are makin me think long and hard about Chiang Rai now. Been planning to locate in Chiang Mai area. But after this, I just don't know. When I come to visit this dec jan and feb, I shall come to the Rai and take a look round. Spent the night there once and checked out the night market. Saw and old Falang man stumbling down the street lookin like death warned over. Wearing tattered rags for clothes and highly inebriated. Left a lasting impression. Obviously the wrong one.

In recent talks with Thai friends in Bangkok, they were quite animated in their praise of Chiang Rai. With all the difficulties of recent years, many in Bangkok dream of relocating elsewhere. Chiang Mai was always high on the list but now Chiang Rai seems to be the talk of the town in some circles.

If I were you, I would definitely give Chiang Rai another chance.smile.png

The women seem to do the backbreaking stuff while the men do the bundling. A couple of the stronger lads do move the bundles about. It is hard to get a candid shot as they do like to pose for the camera. You learn to recognize the laugh of certain villagers as their joy is almost contagious as it carries across the fields.

planting+rice++001.jpg

Rice%2520Farming%2520%2520009.jpg

Rice%2520Farming%2520%2520008.jpg

My neighbor, who has strong views on such things, insists those seedling plots a real bad news.He claims every type of toxic chemical on the real world banned list is applied to them to discourage bugs, fungi and even birds.

"He claims every type of toxic chemical on the real world banned list is applied to them to discourage bugs, fungi and even birds."

Makes you wonder what we are ingesting, even with a simple thing such as rice.

Nice pics by the way.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

In recent talks with Thai friends in Bangkok, they were quite animated in their praise of Chiang Rai. With all the difficulties of recent years, many in Bangkok dream of relocating elsewhere. Chiang Mai was always high on the list but now Chiang Rai seems to be the talk of the town in some circles.

Thanks VF. I shall come to the Rai as well as check out the Pai. On aside. If I may ask, what's the schooling situation like there? We have a 4 year old son who will be 9-10 by the time we make the move and quality schooling is very high on our priorities. CM has many different options so I was wondering what may be available in the Rai area?

Thanks VF. I shall come to the Rai as well as check out the Pai. On aside. If I may ask, what's the schooling situation like there? We have a 4 year old son who will be 9-10 by the time we make the move and quality schooling is very high on our priorities. CM has many different options so I was wondering what may be available in the Rai area?

Pai and Mae Hong Son are must sees for sure.smile.png There are educators on the forum who might give you a better view of the educational situation if they felt so inclined but I will give it a go.

I think it is safe to say that if schooling is a major concern, then bigger more affluent locations like Bangkok and Chiang Mai, will as a rule, have more resources and be able to support a better curriculum and attract better teachers. You seem to be looking five or six years down the road and I’m not sure anyone can give you assured answers about the ranking of schools at that time.

Try looking through back posts to find discussions about schools here in Chiang Rai. I seem to remember there being some.

Villagefarang,

I find your photos excellent. Keep them coming. Yours are the best photos I've seen on any Thai forum. The clouds are magnificant, the colors superb and the general composition professional. Not at all bad for a mere villager. biggrin.png

I'm looking forward to my visit to Chiang Rai towards the end of the year, provided there is no major flood disruption. I've bought a Panasonic FZ-200 with 25-600mm/F2.8 lens for the occasion. Hope my bicycle doesn't get stuck in the mud in the unsealed roads in the coutryside. rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

• Like 1