Good Things Topic.

villagefarang

The drivers of these six wheel dump trucks, used to haul dirt, are usually owner operators in our area. This driver was there trying desperately to get his truck out of the ditch. The rest of his crew were parked up along the side of the road and lending a helping hand. My guess is, the backhoe was also part of the team, which would explain how quickly he was on the scene.thumbsup.gif

MTB+Trails++006.jpg

Two minutes after that last photo was taken the last truck reversed causing serious damage to VFs velocipede. laugh.png

I must have missed that. I’ll have to take another look at my bike tomorrow.thumbsup.gif

They were all in reasonably good spirits and wondered if my report would end up on the evening news on channel 3 or 7. They kept telling their friends to ham it up for the camera and I kept waiting until they weren’t looking.biggrin.png

Nice story there.

About the retreat people, yes now I see the two in the back. Interesting how they are mostly all dressed in white.

Also noting the diagonal cut marks on the trees, any idea what those are?

The people on the retreats, do they just go randomly whenever, or is it considered something done at a particular point in life, like the becoming a monk thing?

I know, lots of little questions, I just find it interesting.

• Like 1

Nice story there.

About the retreat people, yes now I see the two in the back. Interesting how they are mostly all dressed in white.

Also noting the diagonal cut marks on the trees, any idea what those are?

The people on the retreats, do they just go randomly whenever, or is it considered something done at a particular point in life, like the becoming a monk thing?

I know, lots of little questions, I just find it interesting.

I guess white is a sign of purity and it is the traditional dress for these retreats and even going to the temple for some older people.

The trees are young rubber wood trees and that is how they are tapped, though obviously they are not presently tapping them, as there is no cup or collector mounted on the tree below the cut.

My understanding is that the monk behind this particular place is quite famous with many television appearances and publications. Various groups and organizations organize these retreats and I believe this one was for teachers. They are usually during a religious holiday, as that provides a long weekend, but that is not always the case.

Not being a religious person myself this is about as far as my knowledge extends on this matter.

This thread is by far the best for me so far. Sounds like heaven on earth in the Rai.

I am glad you are enjoying this thread. Not everyone sees the same things but the Rai definitely holds potential for those with the capacity to embrace what is around them.wai.gif

I will definitely be coming to the Rai sometime early next year for a look around. Perhaps run into a TV'r or two while I'm there?

Maybe a bit later in the year Ajarn?

We had a small gathering one afternoon a couple of years back which was quite successful, the drinkers had a drink and the non-drinkers stuck to non-drinks but we all got on.

I'm out of town for a few weeks at the moment but would be a starter on return.

I like the idea of small relatively impromptu gatherings, a commitment to come again next week or next month to something organized with people you find may not have a lot in common with can be a bit daunting.

“Small impromptu gatherings” sounds nice. I don’t get the obsessive need for organization, structure, schedules and deadlines. We live in Chiang Rai, after all, not Bangkok.thumbsup.gif

For us meeting at Central Plaza allows for more spontaneity and flexibility. Make up your mind on the spot, where to sit and what to do. Do something before or after to make the trip to town more practical and multifunctional. Works for us.smile.png

• Like 1

I'm on the rains retreat fasting again this year so am out of action on the imbibing front until November. I too am not looking ot make a regular meeting but just once in a while I think would be good.

By the way VF, passed your place today on the way to C Khong, Looking very nice!!

I'm on the rains retreat fasting again this year so am out of action on the imbibing front until November. I too am not looking ot make a regular meeting but just once in a while I think would be good.

By the way VF, passed your place today on the way to C Khong, Looking very nice!!

You should have stopped by. We were home all day after being in town yesterday. I'm trying to get a blog post out on our visit to Rai Boon Rawd and Pa Sak Tong, yesterday.

That sounds interesting, are you just refraining from alcohol or is it a total abstinence from anything that may be tasty?

I need a good fast, my weight's ballooned again this year but it's more a lifestyle thing with me, serious family problems means food becomes a way of escape with no time for exercise.

That sounds interesting, are you just refraining from alcohol or is it a total abstinence from anything that may be tasty?

I need a good fast, my weight's ballooned again this year but it's more a lifestyle thing with me, serious family problems means food becomes a way of escape with no time for exercise.

Nothing serious, just given up booze, meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit ice cream and fizzy drinks. I can still take plain rice and warm muddy water though.

"Cleansing" I think it's called. It's good for me, it's good for me, it's good for me (if I say it enough times I'll actually start to believe it!!!)

Nothing serious, just given up booze, meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit ice cream and fizzy drinks. I can still take plain rice and warm muddy water though.

"Cleansing" I think it's called. It's good for me, it's good for me, it's good for me (if I say it enough times I'll actually start to believe it!!!)

I don’t know, sounds pretty serious to me. There will be nothing left of you but skin and bone if you keep this up.biggrin.png

Fasting can definitely be good for one. Latest research shows that fasting can be as effective as chemotherapy in curing cancer. Fasting in conjunction with chemotherapy can be the most effective treatment of all. But we're talking about proper fasting here. No cheating. Nothing but water for a whole month or so. What tends to happen in such circumstances is that the cancer cells, programmed to keep on reproducing despite a lack of food, die like a marathon runner programmed to keep on running till he drops.

However, the healthy body cells know how to cope with a lack of food. They slow down and take it easy. Looking at some recent photos on another thread, of the Hash House Harriers in Chiang Rai, I'd say there are a few people in that group who would benefit from some serious fasting. biggrin.png

I wouldn't recommend fasting for anyone who is already underweight. The World Health Organisation defines a normal, healthy weight as a Body Mass Index (BMI) ranging between 18.5kg/m2 and 24.9kg/m2.

To determine one's BMI one divides one's weight in kgs by the square of one's height in metres.

For example, I'm 1.8 metres and weigh 80kgs. 1.8 squared is 3.24, so my BMI is 80/3.24=24.7kg/m2. Phew! Just made it! No need to fast. biggrin.png

Could do, if you happen to have a meeting whilst I'm in the vicinity. I haven't booked any flights or accommodation yet. I'm trying to time my arrival so that I miss most of the heavy rain yet still find some nice clouds in the sky so I can capture some interesting photos, hopefully as good as some of the photos posted by VillageFarang on this site. smile.png

I get the impression that some time in the latter half of October might be just right, regards the weather. What do you think?

• Like 1

It would be a good thing, if we could stay a bit more on topic with this thread.

As for October weather, there is no guarantee of course, but in general the heaviest rains seem to be south of us this year. Though there have been a lot of clouds lately they have lacked the sharpness and defined shapes we enjoy at times. There seems to be a heat haze which mutes the blues and defuses the light generally.

The good thing about the increased heat and reduced rainfall is the trails are much more rideable and yesterday was a mud free ride.biggrin.png

Edited by villagefarang

• 2 weeks later...