Good Things Topic.

villagefarang

The subtlety was definitely wasted on me, my coffee knowledge is very limited.

Not sure I'd want to be around an elephant after it's been force fed half a ton of coffee beans in the interest of Black Ivory Coffee production though.

First time I've heard an elephant's you know what called a Golden Triangle as well. cool.png

• Like 1

The subtlety was definitely wasted on me, my coffee knowledge is very limited.

Not sure I'd want to be around an elephant after it's been force fed half a ton of coffee beans in the interest of Black Ivory Coffee production though.

First time I've heard an elephant's you know what called a Golden Triangle as well. cool.png

This coffee is produced by Anantara Hotel at their elephant camp behind their Golden Triangle resort right here in Chiang Rai. Apparently it retails at $1100 per kilo compared to civet coffee which goes for $500-600 per kilo. You can read about it on cnngo. Just one more example of how amazing Chiang Rai really is.biggrin.png

My good news arrived today. The number plates for the vehicle I bought in April arrived in the mail today. I bought the vehicle from another province that is why they came by mail. There are a number of other threads re slow delivery of number plates where I have commented but I thougfh this thread would more appropriate. Very good news. Not pulled up once during the 6 months. Been to Chiang Rai and Mae Sai a number of times from Phayao

• Like 1

Seeing my father in law come home from the farm with a big smile on his face and with two huge (live) rice rats for dinner.

So, is his nickname "The Catcher in the Rai"? smile.png

He's not the Lone Ranger, believe me laugh.png

• Like 1

A good thing is that winter is here. All the pundits are saying that it will be the coldest for many years. Now,,,where did I put those old long-johns?

Bring it on.biggrin.png The colder the better as far as I am concerned. We have certainly been having foggy winter mornings for a while but the temperature has yet to drop enough for me. Anyway, I hope the pundits are correct.thumbsup.gif

On the subject of winter in Chiang Rai, I love breathing out on a clear starry night, feeling the chill as I try to hold back a shiver, and watching the warm cloud of steam appear before me and gently fade into the darkness.

I love the cold, but my skin tells me otherwise, which is another good reason for living in a tropical country.

I'm constantly mentally measuring up the side of the house for a chimney and an open fireplace.

Maybe next year.

I'm building a "fire circle" in my back yard...a friend has one..just some bricks laid in a circle and dabs of cement to hold them together and an iron grate in the middle to burn wood....pull up a few chairs on a cool dec night and you've got yourself a very pleasant evening of pretending you're a kid camping out around the fire again...

• Like 2

Years ago slow combustion stoves were very popular in Australia, they were quite efficient regarding wood and slow burning. You could keep a kettle on the top as well, always ready for the teapot.

We even had one that was connected to a gravity fed water tank in the roof space.

I'm not sure where you would find one in Thailand though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago slow combustion stoves were very popular in Australia, they were quite efficient regarding wood and slow burning. You could keep a kettle on the top as well, always ready for the teapot.

We even had one that was connected to a gravity fed water tank in the roof space.

http://www.aprovecho.org/lab/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=doc&id=18&format=raw

• Like 1

We had one as I was brought up in central Victoria which is cool a lot of the time and our stove ran 24/7. It heated the kitchen and lounge during the winter months and like yours heated the hot water system and yes the kettle was always on top ready to make a pot of tea.

• 5 weeks later...

• Foggy winter mornings.

• The changing light as the sun moves South for the winter.

• The shiny, smiling new faces of all the Thai and Foreign visitors who come to enjoy the winter months in Chiang Rai.

• Little girls greeting you with a respectful wai as you walk the dogs.

• Small children running up to us on our evening walk, throwing their arms around my companion’s soft harry neck, as their parents cower in fear of the very same dog, just because she is big.

• People addressing you as they normally would someone they know, without all the histrionics and camp often reserved for foreigners.

Remembering some oldies but goodies.smile.png

walking along chiang rai beach on a cool december morning

watching the rice harvest in mid november from my deck

watching the morning "rush hour" with Thais bundled up on their motorcys like they are going to the artic

watching the afternoon market being set up

buying fruits and veggies at some of the lowest prices on earth from roadside pickup truck markets

watching the gem boat guys sifting through gravel in the mae kok

watching thai kids ride their bikes with their dog following along

watching the young monks doing their morning rounds

riding my motorbike along the mae kok with no traffic in sight

watching the total chaos of saturday shopping at big C

eating fantastic food at give away prices at many CR restaurants

attending the annual chiang rai flower festival

planting a variety of plants/trees in my yard and being amazed at how fast they grow

watching the neighbors get all excited about killing and cooking a snake

walking around downtown chiang rai on a cool clear december morning

having a cold beer in the garden area of peace bar

taking visitors for a tour of the Red Rose Hotel

watching the light show at the clock tower

watching the hustle and bustle of the night market and the mix of thais and tourists

riding the "refugee bus" from chiang rai to mae sai and seeing what kind of characters show up

buying exotic plants at nurseries that would cost a fortune in the west for a few baht

watching the thai high schools students hanging out and goofing around after classes

having a pretty thai girl give me a big smile for no particular reason

having thai kids practice their limited "i am fine" english out on me

practicing my limited thai with thai kids and having them stare wide eyed at the farang before breaking into giggles

watching the beautiful orange blossoms appear throughtout chiang rai

hearing massage parlor girls ask "massage sir?" in a sing song voice

sitting on a bench at wat mengrai enjoying the solitude

climbing the steps to the top of wat doi kong khao

wading in the mae kok river on a hot day

getting a cup of water thrown on me by a giggling 6 year old girl during song kran

having the neighbors' dogs bark and growl until they realize it's just the farang coming home

having my laundry picked up, cleaned and delivered back to my home for 75 baht a week

having the water man deliver big jugs of water for 12 baht and refuse a tip

having security guards click their heels and salute me like I am someone important

watching female office workers drink whiskey with their lunch

knowing five of the dancing shrimp's sexy waitresses by name

having my motorbike oil changed for less than the cost of a cup of coffee

watching workers climb and trim my trees with no ladders and only a machete

having workers show up ready to work but without a tool to their name

never having to worry much about the cost of most any repair to anything

paying my electric and internet phone bill at 7/11 with no hassles

getting caught in the pedestrian traffic jam on Saturday night at the walking street market

parking at wang come hotel for 20 baht

visiting an ear doctor and having my total bill be 100 baht

trying to figure out what all goes on at the sperm club, the par club and the womb

buying eggs that haven't been refrigerated and not worrying about it

cooking up big pots of vegetable stew with many vegetables that i don't even recognize

having TOT guys show up to repair my internet and actually get it fixed and no charge

watching Thais collect red tree flowers and turn them into something tasty

watching the ice cream tuk tuks roaming all over chiang rai selling 10 baht ice creams

watching Thai ladies grubbing around in streams and lakes catching who knows what kind of critters

having a hill tribe girl in the afternoon market try to line me up with her friend

trying to walk for exercise along the river and having Thais try to give me a ride

watching the Thais build buildings with bamboo scaffolding and not a hard hat in sight

watching young Thais flirting and drinking whiskey at chiang rai beach

having a nice buffett at rim kok hotel for 140 baht

eating a tasty platter of chicken steak, french fries, salad and bread for 69 baht

eating a bowl of 10 baht noodle soup served by a ten year old kid

watching a bicycle tuktuk driver older than Methuselah peddle an even older lady around town

seeing how many Thais can fit on one motorbike

seeing how many Thais can fit into the back of a pickup truck

seeing how many different businesses can be built onto a Honda wave motorbike

pulling into a gas station and having 3 uniformed attendants gas my motorbike and clean my rear view mirrors and not expect a tip

seeing how many different kinds of motorized vehicles Thais can come up with

wandering around in various food markets and being offered free samples of many things i don't recognize

holding my nose to cover the smell of the seafood section at big C

trying to figure out when and where the baht buses at the afternoon market actually go

laughing at some of the prices for imported goods at big C

having a big C employee push my cart to an available cashier for me

getting treated like a VIP just for being a farang and showing up

having a waitress wai and thank me for a 5 baht tip

taking my big C register receipt to the premium counter and winning a can of coke

trying to figure out how they decide who wins what at the big C premium counter

not really caring how they decide who wins what at the big C premium counter

the boat trip down the mae kok from tha ton to chiang rai

standing in line at 7 11 and having a little lady jump the line on me and i don't even care

spending a night at the garden home bungalow in tha ton

sitting at the chiang rai bus station and trying to fathom who is going where and why

watching a new monk induction ceremony with all his family present and oh so proud

watching the sunset from my balcony with an ice cold beer chang

going to the public hospital and having poor Thai people insist that i go to the front of the line

seeing a doctor for less than the parking would cost in the west

chasing chickens out of my yard in Thai assuming they will understand me

having Thais constantly tell me how good my Thai is when i know it's not

stopping for directions and having a group of Thais gather around to see what the farang wants

breakfast at nice kitchen near wat jed yod watching the goings on

getting lost on my motorbike in the middle of nowhere and enjoying it

walking across the mae sai bridge and being back in Thailand with a new visa stamp in less than ten minutes

going to the CR post office and feeling like a local

buying an entire watermelon for 10 baht

having an entire wall at 7/ 11 featuring snacks for 20 baht or less

the first big rainstorm at the end of the cool dry season

watching a yellow Buddha flag flap in the breeze

visiting the 10 baht stores and being amazed at all the items available for 10 baht

watching the aerobics and exercisers at the old airport and wondering who is who

having the mail man show up at my house on a motorbike and wondering how he found me

eating a burger at Barrys at the golf course

watching the beer garden girls at big C strut their stuff

trying to figure out which girls are high school and which ones are college students

enjoying how tight a high school girl can have a white blouse without popping buttons

watching farang backpackers walk around with massive backpacks that defy all logic

being able to sometimes go for days and not hear another person speak English or hassle me

watching the frog giggers appear in the rice paddies at night after the first big rain

seeing a bright blue bird with long yellow feathers in the wild

seeing a nasty looking snake race across the road in front of my motorbike

watching hilltribe people float down the mae kok on hand made bamboo rafts

having to put an extra blanket on my bed because its freezing

being able to see my breath on a few extra cool mornings

flying in and out of CR airport without most of the usual airport hassles and BS

pomchop you have inspired me to respond with some of my own on rural & not so rural Chiang Rai:

Waking up beside my 'calming influence', my wife

Hearing the children play around the house in the early morning

The smell of morning cooking fires

Cringing under my pillow as the village headman tells the news at 6.00am over the Wat PA system at 130 decibels

Coming home, seeing the children all excited in the backyard, as two King Cobra's are tangled in a loving embrace in the bamboo

Getting my SUV serviced at Isuzu and being waited on hand and foot by courteous staff

Coming out of arrivals at CR airport and seeing my family there waiting for me

Going to the baht shop next door to Big C and buying a bunch of the same stuff at a tenth of the price

Watching 7/11 girls working out basic change with a calculator

My stepson telling me I should be teaching math at his school

Parking my bike at the big bike parking at Big C and the small bike park attendant watching it like a hawk for me.

Going to the local markets and seeing all the smiling faces when you walk in

Using the bike lane for a police checkpoint and not having to stop

Getting my bike delivered by van from Bangkok to home for a paultry amount of money

'being able to sometimes go for days and not hear another person speak English or hassle me'
one of my favourites

A few more good things:

Having a thai worker crew show up at your house on time and with tools.

Listening to the rice planting ladies giggle and joke with each other as they plant the rice.

Learning to dodge and weave and go with the flow as you drive the roads around Chiang Rai.

Letting 3 cars' date=' 12 bikes and 4 pickup trucks turn in front of you even though you have a green light.

Learning to accept that the Thai drivers drove like they do before you arrived and will still drive that way long after you have left.

Buying something in a store and having the staff assemble it for you for free.

Buying larger items and expecting and getting FREE delivery with no hassles.

Having people carry your purchases to your car for you and not expect any tip.

Watching a store clerk create four copies of invoices/receipts/ for a purchase of 50 baht and then rubber stamp each one with vigor.

Learning not to get upset when you are told NO HAB for an item that is on display in a store.

Eating a 20 baht lunch in a high school cafeteria while 300 or so kids stare at the farang.

Waking up to the sounds of the neighbor's chickens crowing.

Emptying an old flower pot and having six or seven frogs jump out of it.

Having the neighbors dog show up in your yard with sad eyes begging for something to eat.

Watching a beautiful sunset from my deck with a cold beer and some good music.

Being amazed at how fast bamboo can grow.

Watching how easily Thais ride motorbikes with umbrellas in both the sunshine and the rain.

Being amazed that I rarely see any car or motorbike accidents.

Wondering why i never see "road kill" in chiang rai when there seems to be a dead dog, cat, possum, or something every few miles in the usa.

[/quote']

We had one as I was brought up in central Victoria which is cool a lot of the time and our stove ran 24/7. It heated the kitchen and lounge during the winter months and like yours heated the hot water system and yes the kettle was always on top ready to make a pot of tea.

Of course in some states they can no longer be sold as they cannot match emission requirements.

Of course in some states they can no longer be sold as they cannot match emission requirements.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume these are “good things”. Having lived my life in warm climates I have no experience with these things.wink.png

Just as an FYI quoting an incredibly long couple of posts to add a one liner is extremely poor netiquette. Please don't clog up the thread with this kind of thing. Thanks. Not everyone has the bandwidth to scroll through.

Now, go back to your good things.

I thought Pomchop’s posts were exceptional and deserved to be in one place so they could be read in their entirety. I even spent a fair amount of time removing some of his triple and quadruple spacing to make it more readable. The one liner was simply by way of explanation, and by no means the purpose of the post, but I won’t do it again.

Pomchop's one liners are good things in my opinion.smile.png

• Like 2