Photography In Chiang Rai

sceadugenga

Here is a little fella that stopped in at my shop tonight. The wing span is around 8 inches. I have never seen a moth this big. It looks like it has eagles heads or snake head on its wingtips.

Edit: Just got the ladder and got close enough to measure it properly. 9.5 inches on the wingtip to wingtip.

post-94255-015557800 1281108544_thumb.jp

post-94255-050169700 1281108611_thumb.jp

Edited by kandahar

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a little fella that stopped in at my shop tonight. The wing span is around 8 inches. I have never seen a moth this big. It looks like it has eagles heads or snake head on its wingtips.

Edit: Just got the ladder and got close enough to measure it properly. 9.5 inches on the wingtip to wingtip.

Good photos Mr Kd!

It is an Atlas-moth, not only the biggest moth in Thailand but also the biggest moth in the world!

(I found the info in Images of Chiang Rai, I think it was Lannaman that posted there a year ago.) ;)

The atlas moth

:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

Good photos Mr Kd!

It is an Atlas-moth, not only the biggest moth in Thailand but also the biggest moth in the world!

(I found the info in Images of Chiang Rai, I think it was Lannaman that posted there a year ago.) ;)

The atlas moth

Cool :)

does look like it's evolved to have the snake-head wing tip doesn't it? Probably keeps the birds away.

Beautiful creature, nice shots kd

thanks

They used to be relatively common, I have several photos at home, but I haven't seen one for a while now.

One thing I have noticed with appreciation, we seemed to have a lot more fire flies around the house this year.

They used to be relatively common, I have several photos at home, but I haven't seen one for a while now.

One thing I have noticed with appreciation, we seemed to have a lot more fire flies around the house this year.

I have checked with my wife. Some people eat the pupae. I have a theory that the scareceness of animals in thailand is related to whether they are arroy or not. Verry verry arroy means they are extinct.

Good photos Mr Kd!

The atlas moth

SNAP.

Good photos Mr Kd!

The atlas moth

SNAP.

So, they come for dinner too?

Edited by kandahar

Good photos Mr Kd!

The atlas moth

SNAP.

So, they come for dinner too?

It's a spirit thing im sure you understand,new house new people and all that,it's lucky so they say,im all 4 it,we could use some of that.

Cheers Kd

Be tight.

Okay. I KNOW it isn't exactly CR picture taking. But it was taken in CR and I want you all to see it.

This is a dog-house that I built. Not quite finished yet as we have to put a good dog's name on the top front of the dog house.

But it isn't really a dog house. Had an extra space on the wall in the new kitchen I am building and needed to fill the empty corner space on the wall. It is behind a door when the door is opened, so it had to be something flat so the door could open completely. No room for shelves. Therefore, it is just the front of a doghouse, screwed to the wall, with a little blond dog pic on the top front and one black dog in the dog-house behind the curtains. I have fun here in CR.

post-94255-057974400 1281601189_thumb.jp

It is a square tubing steel frame with Smartwood covering it, painted with the Smartwood special paint. Four hidden clips allow it to be held to the wall with screws.

Edited by kandahar

Okay. I KNOW it isn't exactly CR picture taking. But it was taken in CR and I want you all to see it.

It is hard to see it KD, the small pic is too small so we cannot see all smart details and when we click on it we got a 2 Mbyte pic that is far to big.

Try to reduce the size to around 800 pixels by 600 pixels. That will for this pic give you one that is 146 kbytes!

And it look like this:post-29230-042268000 1281602687_thumb.jp

Klick on it and you can see everything!

But your idea is very smart but I wonder if my dogs will be happy with a home like this? Maybe because it is far better than the one they have today!

:rolleyes::ph34r:

Edited by svenivan

It is hard to see it KD, the small pic is too small so we cannot see all smart details and when we click on it we got a 2 Mbyte pic that is far to big.

Try to reduce the size to around 800 pixels by 600 pixels. That will for this pic give you one that is 146 kbytes!

But your idea is very smart but I wonder if my dogs will be happy with a home like this? Maybe because it is far better than the one they have today!

Ahh. Thats much better. Thanks to Sven for the photo tips. Its pretty Cute Kd. but slightly disturbing , I guess your 'Barking Mad' Too ! :whistling:

Here are some pics that TV member brianmarinus asked me to post for him, as he was having some trouble posting. If they open too big, right click each pic and open in a new tab.

His words concerning this group of pics include:

Quote: " This is where we were yesterday-just 1/2 hour from our house-very nice place-they told me that this Temple is only 5 years old-and they still do a lot of work on it and inside it. There are 9 stories up and I took them all. I hope you are able to put a few of them into the forum for me. I would like to share this with the others." End quote

My words concerning these photos-

Brain, thanks for sharing.

I think that this is the same temple that we can see in the background of the El Shaddai highway turnoff. It looks like the same temple as in the pic behind and to the right of the big sign at that corner. So, if you go see the kids, and this IS the temple, it may turn into a combo trip for you temple seekers. It would be very close to the kid's home.

post-94255-046188600 1281603488_thumb.jp

post-94255-049728200 1281603523_thumb.jp

post-94255-027619500 1281603534_thumb.jp

post-94255-001304900 1281603551_thumb.jp

post-94255-072894300 1281603567_thumb.jp

Edited by kandahar

Ahh. Thats much better. Thanks to Sven for the photo tips. Its pretty Cute Kd. but slightly disturbing , I guess your 'Barking Mad' Too ! :whistling:

I'm the guy in the third room in the asylum, multiple personalities. Have you seen the movie Shutter Island? I'll never get out of here.

Good job, Sven. Stop by for another coffee and you can walk me through the simple steps it must take to do this.

Here are some pics that TV member brianmarinus asked me to post for him, as he was having some trouble posting.

I think that this is the same temple that we can see in the background of the El Shaddai highway turnoff.

Yes, same temple close to El Shaddai and same temple that I can see from the "Village Bar" or "Pats Bar" as some calls it. It is a good feeling to see this temple going home from the bar after sharing a Coke or two with your friends!

:P:o:P

Here are some pics that TV member brianmarinus asked me to post for him, as he was having some trouble posting.

I think that this is the same temple that we can see in the background of the El Shaddai highway turnoff.

Yes, same temple close to El Shaddai and same temple that I can see from the "Village Bar" or "Pats Bar" as some calls it. It is a good feeling to see this temple going home from the bar after sharing a Coke or two with your friends!

:P:o:P

A truely spectacular Temple. Thanks brian for the Pictures. I did notice it on our trip to the Orphanage. How can anyone not notice it. And I have yet another Bar to find .

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the double post. The caterpillars photographed certainly look like Atlas moth ones, just not stretched out, full size, and from a slightly different angle to most 'official' portraits. I think you are spot on in your identification.

The closest I can find is Attacus atlas, the giant Atlas moth that we have a few pics of here.

Not quite the same though.

Atlas_Moth_FULL_CATT1.jpg

Sorry about the double post. The caterpillars photographed certainly look like Atlas moth ones, just not stretched out, full size, and from a slightly different angle to most 'official' portraits. I think you are spot on in your identification.

The closest I can find is Attacus atlas, the giant Atlas moth that we have a few pics of here.

Not quite the same though.

So we know harsu lives within 5km of town, likes snakes, caterpillars and expat meetings. Care to share anything else with us? By the way, thanks for contributing and hope to hear more from you. :)

Their cuisine of choice is a large plant with strelitzia like leaves and large red flowers that grow straight out of the ground. I disrememebr the name.

Sounds like a Torch Ginger

Atlas moths seem to be pretty non-discriminatory about what they eat, certainly don't seem to restrict themselves to what they are supposed to like.