Bargains In Chiang Rai

sceadugenga

Phuadol Resort Buffet, 149 bt -- definately superior to Rimkok, only thing is no view of the river but one can go and view the MaeKok from lots of locations any time.

Phuadol is owned and run by the family of Ta-wa-siwakit Supermarkets, and the boss (a jovial elder Chinese) is often there to personally welcome customers.

Sorry lannaman, I have to disagree on Phowadol buffet beng superior.

When I was last there (albeit 6 months ago), it was tired and sparse in comparison to the Rimkok, although tried the Rimkok for the second time today and Sunday doesn't appear to be its best day, I have to admit.

Will try it again and hope to stand corrected. Any particular day to recommend?

• 1 year later...

Was in Big C last week and noted Chang have come up with a flavoured soda water line.

Got a couple of bottles to try, bitter lemon/lime and apple/mint and was pleasantly surprised when I tried the lemon/lime today.

Not very bitter but still a lightly flavoured, non-sweet refreshing drink.

Last week I was bought a brand new Apple IPad 2 for 1,500 baht - this is a saving of around 18,500 baht. The promotion is through KBank credit cards, and they have several promotions like this a year, plus continous promotions for lower value items (eg hotel rooms). I don't know which of the KBank cards this applies to, or if there is a minimum turnover requirement, but I do know that it's open to expats as well as Thais (and no I don't work for KBank! ).

Has everyone checked out the food stalls in front of Top in the Central mall?

I bought the best tomatoes I've seen in Thailand today, fashionably still attached to the vine and some splendid RED radishes, round and crisp.

The fresh prepared green salad bar looked superb.

All seems to be run by hills tribes girls and prices very reasonable... Red Globe grapes about 90B a kg and less than 5 meters away in Top, over 200.

Edit: and I saw fresh beetroot there as well.

Edited by sceadugenga

Has everyone checked out the food stalls in front of Top in the Central mall?

I bought the best tomatoes I've seen in Thailand today, fashionably still attached to the vine and some splendid RED radishes, round and crisp.

The fresh prepared green salad bar looked superb.

All seems to be run by hills tribes girls and prices very reasonable... Red Globe grapes about 90B a kg and less than 5 meters away in Top, over 200.

Edit: and I saw fresh beetroot there as well.

70 baht a kilo....you can make an oz burger

THey are nice vegetables there... and the chinese steamed buns nearby are out of this world.

Edited by harrry

Well, I went back and got the beetroot, boiled it in the skins with a bit of salt and black peppercorns for about an hour , peeled and sliced it and put it in a jar with some cider vinegar I had on the shelf.

Tried it tonight, about a week after bottling.

Superb.

There are 2 shops on the top-floor in Plaza, Export and 7Export. They are selling clothes that are made for Europe/US but that has not passed quality control.

I just took a quick look today and found many very high quality shirts for 200 - 280 baht. And they have all sizes, even for fully grownup men like XL and XXL.

:lol::oB)

• 2 months later...

Greetings Trend Setters

Have recently been tossing up about getting a netbook for when I

travel back to Oz.

Was at Central yesterday, so decided to have a look in Powerbuy.

They had the HP110-3622TU reduced from 10 640 to 6 400 Baht.

This included a decent <deleted> carry bag as well.

http://h10010.www1.h...65-5079465.html

For me this was a no-brainer so I snapped one up. Will only need it

for emails, skype and a bit of web surfing while I travel.

So if you're in the market for a netbook, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Lately I see in Big C beautiful marbled beef for Thai prices. Anyone tried it? My wife forbids me to buy more beef because I have a good supply of imported US prime. (Mai mee satang)

Did you buy the meat local? I sure would like to buy some when I am in Chiang rai.

I was in Powerbuy in the afternoon and it looks like you got the only one.

The price is back up to 10,640 baht.

Sorry, I should've mentioned it in the first post.

They had 4 colours being blue, red, black and white.

The only ones on special were the white ones so the

other colours still had the 10 640 price tag.

When I purchased they said thay had a lot of white

ones left. If you go back and search out the white ones

or ask them, I'm sure you will be able to get one.

Regards

Will

Lately I see in Big C beautiful marbled beef for Thai prices. Anyone tried it? My wife forbids me to buy more beef because I have a good supply of imported US prime. (Mai mee satang)

Did you buy the meat local? I sure would like to buy some when I am in Chiang Rai.

There seems to be a new butcher in Big C, the over all quality had deteriorated to the point where I seldom bother to look at it now.

I buy the single packed "rib eye" steaks and minced/ground beef in Tops.

Edited by sceadugenga

Did you buy the meat local? I sure would like to buy some when I am in Chiang rai.

No I bought it from Chiang Mai: http://horecasupply.com They deliver in Chiangrai twice a week.

No I bought it from Chiang Mai: http://horecasupply.com They deliver in Chiangrai twice a week.

Thanks and will try both. Got to go to Chiang mai also/