New Aussie Passport

Hi guys. I am picking up a new passport from Oz embassy next week (renewal). I have extension of stay in old passport valid till end Sept this year. Can I just keep using the old passport till then and have the new extension of stay put in the new passport when issued (Sept 2010) or do I have to transfer current extension into new passport now? Thanks.

They used to want it transferred upon issue of new passport but several recent reports would indicate this may not be the case currently. If you do not plan travel I would wait unless your Embassy tells you different. I have not seen anything official on a new policy.

They used to want it transferred upon issue of new passport but several recent reports would indicate this may not be the case currently. If you do not plan travel I would wait unless your Embassy tells you different. I have not seen anything official on a new policy.

Thanks Lopburi3. No, I have no travel plans so will take it as it comes.

I had my extension transferred to a new passport - free of charge -  within 5 minutes at Pathum Thani Immigration Office (I had to fill in an application form but I cannot remember if I needed also a photo)<br>Photocopies of the old passport, page of latest re-entry visa,  the arrival card and the page with the Extension had to made.<br>

I have just nre-newed my NZ passport in Udon Thani a couple of days ago. I have been holding on to the new one for some time and continued to use the old one.The 3 months report was a bit short this time as my passport expired a couple of days ago,just over 2 months since my last report, so I was gien the day it expired as my new reporting day.I handed over the 2 passports and was handed over to 2 other officers until I got given one who knew what to do--or so I thought. I was asked to fill in a TM7 and he turned it over and started to stamp away with just about every stamp he had in front of him--13 in all!!!! These included all sorts of dates from old PP and new one,copies of details of retirement visa in old PP,and all relevant and irrrelevant details he could find going back to the first visa yrs ago!! When he had run out of stamps he asked the other officer if there was anything else and after a long discussion came up with 2 more they thought he could add.He then gave the form to the big boss for his approval and after twinking carefully a couple of mistakes out they both decided that maybe that was enough,and the Farang was showing signs of stress and dis-belief. Now came the tricky bit-----All these stamps were somehow to be transferred to my shiny new PP. I must admit he tried his best,and I am not sure if the incessant mutterings to my GF,and the fact that i just had to get up and walk away twice and come back a bit cooler,but I have got a brand new PP ,never been anywhere with it except Big C and have got 5--yes 5---pages filled up already,or if you count the first page which he seems to have missed it's 6!!!  I hope to g et my new visa entered into that first page when I go back for it's re-newal in 3 weeks time. I suppose I should consider myself lucky to have got such a dilligent officer of the law of the Kingdom,to do all that work for me ,and all for the princely sum of 100bt-----Dougal the Kiwi

In Bangkok the required transfers can fit on one page if no re-entry permit involved. It is the new passport/transfer stamp, original and last entry stamps, current extension of stay plus a chop on the new passport/transfer stamp. There is no cost involved if you provide the required photo copies and only a simple one page request form to fill out. But expect many places have no experience in this procedure so more space is likely the norm.

Hi ---after sending in my reply,I looked it over and read,"nbsp" in 2 places.I did not type that---it seems somehow to be something that's automatic? Can anyone tell me what it stands for?---Dougal the Kiwi

I note that there appear to be typo errors at or soon after that function so perhaps using a laptop and hitting the touch pad at same time as hitting a key? There is also some factor we have not been able to pin down causing such errors in some posts but normally there are a lot of them. Firefox browser seems to be common with that problem.

Hi ---after sending in my reply,I looked it over and read,"nbsp" in 2 places.I did not type that---it seems somehow to be something that's automatic? Can anyone tell me what it stands for?---Dougal the Kiwi

Its just a 'space' that got inserted either cos you typed in another software and pasted here or some misfunction of the forum's own editor -

http://www.sightspecific.com/~mosh/WWW_FAQ/nbsp.html

I have just nre-newed my NZ passport in Udon Thani a couple of days ago. I have been holding on to the new one for some time and continued to use the old one.The 3 months report was a bit short this time as my passport expired a couple of days ago,just over 2 months since my last report, so I was gien the day it expired as my new reporting day.I handed over the 2 passports and was handed over to 2 other officers until I got given one who knew what to do--or so I thought. I was asked to fill in a TM7 and he turned it over and started to stamp away with just about every stamp he had in front of him--13 in all!!!! These included all sorts of dates from old PP and new one,copies of details of retirement visa in old PP,and all relevant and irrrelevant details he could find going back to the first visa yrs ago!! When he had run out of stamps he asked the other officer if there was anything else and after a long discussion came up with 2 more they thought he could add.He then gave the form to the big boss for his approval and after twinking carefully a couple of mistakes out they both decided that maybe that was enough,and the Farang was showing signs of stress and dis-belief. Now came the tricky bit-----All these stamps were somehow to be transferred to my shiny new PP. I must admit he tried his best,and I am not sure if the incessant mutterings to my GF,and the fact that i just had to get up and walk away twice and come back a bit cooler,but I have got a brand new PP ,never been anywhere with it except Big C and have got 5--yes 5---pages filled up already,or if you count the first page which he seems to have missed it's 6!!!  I hope to g et my new visa entered into that first page when I go back for it's re-newal in 3 weeks time. I suppose I should consider myself lucky to have got such a dilligent officer of the law of the Kingdom,to do all that work for me ,and all for the princely sum of 100bt-----Dougal the Kiwi

How could you continue to use the old passport ?

When I got my new passport last year, the old one was stamped “CANCELLED”.

Recently I also noticed this strange kind of behaviour (I think only when posting, not when replying) and I solved the problem by just editing my post.

<BR>
<BR>I have just nre-newed my NZ passport in Udon Thani a couple of days ago. I have been holding on to the new one for some time and continued to use the old one.The 3 months report was a bit short this time as my passport expired a couple of days ago,just over 2 months since my last report,&nbsp;so I was gien the day it expired as my new reporting day.I handed over the 2 passports and was handed over to 2 other officers until I got given one who knew what to do--or so I thought. I was asked to fill in a TM7 and he turned it over and started to stamp away with just about every stamp he had in front of him--13 in all!!!! These included all sorts of dates from old PP and new one,copies of details of&nbsp;retirement visa in old PP,and all relevant and irrrelevant details he could find going back to the first visa yrs ago!! When he had run out of stamps he asked the other officer if there was anything else and after a long discussion came up with 2 more they thought he could add.He then gave the form to the big boss for his approval and after twinking carefully a couple of mistakes out they both decided that maybe that was enough,and the Farang was showing signs of stress and dis-belief. Now came the tricky bit-----All these stamps were somehow to be transferred to my shiny new PP. I must admit he tried his best,and I am not sure if the incessant mutterings to my GF,and the fact that i just had to get up and walk away twice and come back a bit cooler,but I have got a brand new PP ,never been anywhere with it except Big C and have got 5--yes 5---pages filled up already,or if you count the first page which he seems to have missed it's 6!!!&nbsp; I hope to g et my new visa entered into that first page when I go back for it's re-newal in 3 weeks time. I suppose I should consider myself lucky to have got such a dilligent officer of the law of the Kingdom,to do all that work for me ,and all for the princely sum of 100bt-----Dougal the Kiwi<BR>
<BR><BR><BR><BR>How could you continue to use the old passport ?<BR><BR>When I got my new passport last year, the old one was stamped "CANCELLED".<BR>
<BR>Not sure what you mean---I used my old passport until it expired last week and then transferred everything over to my new one which I have been holding for about 3 months---but the retirement visa does not expire until the end of this month so that has to be applied for in a couple of weeks time---on page6!!!<BR><BR>

Normally once a replacement passport is issued the old one is invalid for travel. Did you leave/return to Thailand during those 3 months using just your old passport?

No leave Thailand----went no further than BIG"C"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<BR>
<BR>Normally once a replacement passport is issued the old one is invalid for travel.  Did you leave/return to Thailand during those 3 months using just your old passport?<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>No leave Thailand----went no further than BIG"C"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<BR>
<BR><BR>Meant to say---I could have gone anywhere with my old passport--the visa was valid till the end of this month and the passport expired last week---only-that would have stopped me going out of Thailand.Not sure what time limit is but think you have to have at least either 3 or 6 months validity before expiry date<BR>

Ok I went to pick up my new passport yesterday and tried to feign that I didnt have my old one on me to see their response. They refused to give new without old. I then remembered it was in my bag at the secuirty gate. They cut a strip off the hieight of the front cover thus removing the barcode inside. They also cut off the back cover's corners and stamped cancelled in the first few pages and gave it back.

I presented my new and old passport to the lady that takes care of our visas etc and although I said I wasnt going anywhere and we could leave the stamp transfer until my new visa goes in in September she said mai dai and I take care. So I had a happy ending but thus dont know what would have happened if I would have just left it for now.

Anyhow thanks for the replies folks,

Thaifelix

Just to add: My new Scandinavian PP, 8000BHT, 11 pages with transfer stamps - stuff & visa O extension. So 1/3 of my new [5 yrs PP] wasted already, but will survive :-), 400,000BHT in bank @ ext.time, 1 hr later much less, no problem. BTW @ UT IO - 3months ago.