Volunteer Tutor In Legal English

I am a retired American lawyer and enjoy spending time in Thailand. But after two or three weeks I get bored - you can only spend so much time eating. I have thought about connecting with a university (or possibly a law firm that does international work) to volunteer to assist some of their students with improving their legal English skills, or talking about the US legal system, etc. I only want to do it as a volunteer, maybe a few hours a week. This is not a question about a visa as I will deal with that, but my questions are:

Is there a real need for this, or would I spend more time trying to do it than actually doing it, and

If there is a need, should I just sent out a bunch of emails to the universities or law firms? If anyone has any ideas on good universities/law firms in Bangkok to contact that would be helpful.

Thanks

To do it legal, you must have a work permit evenfor volunteering. No work permit is issued on the basis of retirement......

So you need to get extensions based on volunteering, which requires that you volunteer for a minimum of 4 hours a week and when you stop volunteering you have to eave Thailand, or apply for an extension of stay based on retirement again. The tricky part is always getting a work pemit, simply because most institutions don't know how to go about that one or simply don't care. Volunteering with a law firm is not possible, as it need to be a registered charity or government institution.

But why not indeed email a few educational institutions in Bangkok.

There is certainly some demand for legal English in Thailand, though it is not huge. Your comment that you might spend more time looking than actually doing is fairly prescient - though doubtless the free/volunteer element will have its draw! :whistling: Thai lawyers who may actually need English for their work are not exactly on the poverty line, so I would urge you to select the recipients of your pro bono munificence carefully.

You might have better luck approaching university law faculties to enquire about teaching a substantive law subject, which may in turn present opportunities for private tutoring in legal English, if that is what you wish. I have no idea whether this would enable you to secure the required work-permit, however.

Edited by Rumpole

I am also a former lawyer. There is no need for American legal English training in Thailand. However, your speaking and writing skills, using basic, simple English, are quite useful. I would contact some of the universities in rural areas, such as the south and Isaan, about volunteer mentoring work. And, yes, you need a work permit and non-B or O visa.

As a matter of interest I am also in a similar position, in the sense of wanting to do something whilst staying in the village. I have been "teaching" a group of kids English and Maths for about three years now.

I find it very satisfying and my oldest student as a place at a university.

I think it is important not only to help the kids with their education but also to encourage them to have aspirations to improve themselves. They do not always get this from their family members.

Go for it, Thailand needs people like you who just want to share their exp and knowledge, dont worry about work permits, you are not working or volunteering !! If you decide to have some meetings or roundtable discussions on a regular basis with students or groups about subjects they are interested in so freaking what ?

Go for it, Thailand needs people like you who just want to share their exp and knowledge, dont worry about work permits, you are not working or volunteering !! If you decide to have some meetings or roundtable discussions on a regular basis with students or groups about subjects they are interested in so freaking what ?

Poor advice.

Whilst the chances of being caught or even dealt with are very remote...........the possibility of arrest is still a real one. You would only have to upset some local for there to be ramifications.

Don't take the chance.

Arrested for what crime ????? he is not taking money, he is not working, only chatting with friends. Poor advice LOL. Get real ! or maybe some teachers here dont want others doing what they charge for ??? Thai students especially ones who cannot afford private lessons (way overpriced for the return most of the time) need people like this to help them think about and understand the real world, not just teachers only here for the money.

OK, we will get real. It is illegal to work, or do volunteer work, without a work permit. The definition of work is pretty broad. It is a point of concern and a review of some current threads will show that in some areas this is being handled strictly (Pattaya jumps to mind, where you need a work permit to attend a business meeting). BUT, the OP has stated that he is NOT asking about visas and I would guess by extension, he isn't asking about Work Permits either, so let's stay on topic.

The legal profession is specialized and there is most likely a need. I do know of a US lawyer who taught a class to Thai lawyers. He got the job through an agency--I believe it was ECC in Bangkok, who had a contract with a law firm. It wasn't about the law, but it was about the English terms used in the legal profession and of course a fair amount of discussion of legal issues and concepts.

My guess is the need is there, but since it's a small pool, it might be hard to find.