What To Do With 1 Rai In Buriram ?

expatman

I have (in my son's name) a 1 rai pardel that used to be paddy field. I live in Bangkok and only go to Buriram occasionally.

Planted a few fruit trees on it, but wife's relatives (who live next door) were too lazy to even water them.

What kind of trees (or other crop) can I plant that will take care of themselves ?

In rainy season part of the land is very wet - make a small fishpond there ?

I have (in my son's name) a 1 rai parcel that used to be paddy field. I live in Bangkok and only go to Buriram occasionally.

Planted a few fruit trees on it, but wife's relatives (who live next door) were too lazy to even water them.

What kind of trees (or other crop) can I plant that will take care of themselves ?

Buriram is a problem area, it's either too wet or too dry.

Water costs too much money in the dry season.

I think the pond would dry up during the dry season and the fish would die.

1 rai is too small to do anything with. Don't concern yourself about it, build a house on it, sell it, or give it to the relatives next door which is what will happen when you are out of the picture. You bought it to support the relatives and probably paid too much for it. :rolleyes:

Edited by BB1950

1 rai is too small to do anything with. Don't concern yourself about it, build a house on it, sell it, or give it to the relatives next door which is what will happen when you are out of the picture. You bought it to support the relatives and probably paid too much for it. :rolleyes:

Piped water is readily available. How expensive is it ?

I am planning to build on it, but not for a few years.

I'm just wondering if I can put it to some productive use before then.

Piped water is readily available. How expensive is it ?

I am planning to build on it, but not for a few years.

I'm just wondering if I can put it to some productive use before then.

In many areas, piped water is not always available in the dry season. In which case you'll have to buy water from a truck.

A large truck of water can cost 2000 baht.per load.

Ask the relatives. They'll know.

Nonetheless, the gift of land to use as they wish would be a nice familial gesture and create good points with the family, as one rai wouldn't wouldn't be much to bother with if one is absent from the locale depending on others do supervise any projects.

Nonetheless, the gift of land to use as they wish would be a nice familial gesture and create good points with the family, as one rai wouldn't wouldn't be much to bother with if one is absent from the locale depending on others do supervise any projects.

Are you for real ? The OP has already stated that the family are lazy. You then go on to tell him to gift it to them. Are all farang that come to Thailand living in cuckoo land ?

Open a small Mobile Phone shop then the lazy family will have another place to fall asleep but like all other mobile shops in Thailand they will at least LOOK like they are working at something. (Don't forget to suppy them with a Television).

Anyone have any serious suggestions ?

(Yes, I know "serious" is a bad word here in Thailand, even for some farang)

Open a small Mobile Phone shop then the lazy family will have another place to fall asleep but like all other mobile shops in Thailand they will at least LOOK like they are working at something. (Don't forget to suppy them with a Television).

Anyone have any serious suggestions ?

(Yes, I know "serious" is a bad word here in Thailand, even for some farang)

Try planting Cassavas the non eatable type. Thais call them potatoes for food for cows and pigs. Main use is for Bio. It will cost you around 1500 baht to planet, cultivate, stocks ,labour, fertilizer. They may see 4,000 to 8,000 baht return.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/188328-growing-cassava-in-thailand/

Try planting Cassavas the non eatable type. Thais call them potatoes for food for cows and pigs. Main use is for Bio. It will cost you around 1500 baht to planet, cultivate, stocks ,labour, fertilizer. They may see 4,000 to 8,000 baht return.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/188328-growing-cassava-in-thailand/

Thanks for your suggestion, but it doesn't seem worth the effort for the small return.

I was thinking more of hardy trees that could provide shade or even fruit. What about papaya ? I see these growing on empty lots in Bangkok where some somtam vendor has probably thrown out the seeds.

For now I have financed the brother-in-law to raise ducks on part of the land, provided starting capital for ducklings, feed, construction materials. He's the only one in the family that gets off his ass to do anything.

I have (in my son's name) a 1 rai parcel that used to be paddy field. I live in Bangkok and only go to Buriram occasionally.

Are you a relative of the op as you seem to know plenty about him

Are you for real ? The OP has already stated that the family are lazy. You then go on to tell him to gift it to them. Are all farang that come to Thailand living in cuckoo land ?

Most Farang don't get it.

Are you a relative of the op as you seem to know plenty about him

May not know the OP personally, but know plenty like him, there may well be more truth in the above than most will care to admit.

Wont be the first sucker to overpay for land the family already own.

Sorry, but when I read the words, Buriram, land and next door to family in the same sentence all sorts of warning bells go off in my head, throw the lazy family into the mix and its a recipe for disaster, I hope the OP has deep pockets.

Most Thais are trying to escape grinding poverty and the OP lumbers his child with, walk away from it and forget it even exists.

http://www.thaivisa....va-in-thailand/

Thanks for your suggestion, but it doesn't seem worth the effort for the small return.

I was thinking more of hardy trees that could provide shade or even fruit. What about papaya ? I see these growing on empty lots in Bangkok where some somtam vendor has probably thrown out the seeds.

For now I have financed the brother-in-law to raise ducks on part of the land, provided starting capital for ducklings, feed, construction materials. He's the only one in the family that gets off his ass to do anything.

It seams like you have answered your own question. Run turkey run.

Most Farang don't get it.

What do most farangs not get, Asian man in USA?

David, please don't assume that you know me. Because you don't......you have know idea of my background, where I live and commute to, my experience and knowledge of Thai/Thailand - you'll only embarrass yourself. Thanks...

Not going to yield anything decent from one rai.

If you're planning to retire there, I'd keep it. Then when you move there build a small classroom or building on it, and use it to teach all the children in village English for free. Put in a pool table, table tennis table etc and make it a sort of free sports club for the local children.

If it used to be a rice field, why not continue with that for the next few years. It was previously workable and rice is now so expensive it would make sense to use it for something that is needed on a daily basis...the family are there and although you say lazy, would surely do the work with the rewards of free rice.

Big mistake, in my opinion. Ducks are okay if you leave them to freerange over the rice fields after harvest. So for about half the year you have to confine and feed them. With the price of feed stuff being high, I don't see it being viable. Good luck in your endevour to help the extended family. But in my opinion, by helping them you're doing the opposite to stand on their own feet. They have a tendancy to be not so lazy when it's their money they're working with Edited by sinbin

Good luck in your endevour to help the extended family. But in my opinion, by helping them you're doing the opposite to stand on their own feet. They have a tendancy to be not so lazy when it's their money they're working with

Well said :rolleyes:

Plant some trees that will later become nice shade trees. Make sure they have no value whatsoever for the locals to mess with them. If your reltatives were too lazy to water what you planted for them before than why worry about doing anything for them. Many trees can grow fast in 4 years time so when it comes time to build it isn't so barren.

Plant some trees that will later become nice shade trees. Make sure they have no value whatsoever for the locals to mess with them. If your reltatives were too lazy to water what you planted for them before than why worry about doing anything for them. Many trees can grow fast in 4 years time so when it comes time to build it isn't so barren.

What kind of trees do you suggest ? The species must be hardy !!!

As I previously mentioned, I planted some fruit trees, but they died due to lack of watering.

What kind of trees do you suggest ? The species must be hardy !!!

As I previously mentioned, I planted some fruit trees, but they died due to lack of watering.

I wouldnt be in any rush to throw good money after bad, the exact same thing will happen again this time.

I assume you carried out due diligence on your wifes family before getting married.

Were they lazy before you got married, or has this only happened since they inherited a farang son in law?

I have no idea what kind of trees are drought resistant. Seems there must be some trees that grow without needing water as trees sprout up on their own all the time. I wouldn't put any money into it though. Find some trees that look nice growing some where and dig them up.

I have no idea what kind of trees are drought resistant. Seems there must be some trees that grow without needing water as trees sprout up on their own all the time. I wouldn't put any money into it though. Find some trees that look nice growing some where and dig them up.

Hi

Why not put in a few 'Ducksfoot Trees' you know the jobs that sprout in layers they are very hardy and drought resistant and give welcome shade ~~~ however anything that you plant will initially need watering to get it established. Get them in soon and they may benefit from remaining rainy season.

The Ducksfoot tree is the name given to it by Thais who are not that keen on it because you cant eat it!!!! :boring:

Any reasonable nursery would have some and not expensive!

TBWG :wai:

Eucalyptus trees are leave alone and drought resistant, but they pollute the land. I'd just rent out the land. A little return is better than none.

Eucalyptus trees are leave alone and drought resistant, but they pollute the land....[sic]

....plus they suck the life and moisture out of the soil. Eucalyptus would never be a decent choice for reasoned arable land.