Why Live In Bangkok?

Thomas_Merton

I am certainly a city dweller and cannot stand the deafening silence of country life.

I need a good choice of restaurants, entertainment places etc., even if I might not visit.

Living at the lower end of Sukhumvit is no problem. In thevicinity you find African, Arab and Middle East places. At home I am greeted every morning by the same bird, to say hello.

Even the whole length of Sukhumvit in BKK, once you go deeper into a soi, you find peace and tranquility and still will be within minutes where the action is.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.  I need a woman I can trust.

It's a lot harder for a Thai girl to find a Farang she can trust.

I agree - several of my wife's friends (mostly attractive, well-educated women with good jobs) have asked me if I know any "good men". I don't - the ones I know who are not already in stable relationships, are not getting any recommendations from me. Many of the single guys are fun to drink & hang out with, but I am not going to set up a nice decent Thai girl with a heavy-drinking, butterflying farang who's main interst is bar girls and binge drinking.

I've had the same requests and I also can't think of any Farangs that I know who I would recommend to any girl.

I like to have a base in the capital city, where I can get for example, a new thermostat and boiler repair for my espresso machine / the right picture frame / smoked salmon / Cherry wood cheap for my smoking machine ( still trying for this one ) / nicorette / without pulling my hairs (well the left of it) .

I like to have a quiet place for relax outside the capital city too .

Just out of curiosity SimCity; where do you get smoked salmon in Bangkok? The salmon they have in foodland (only place I know that sells it) sucks big time - old and overpriced..

I agree - several of my wife's friends (mostly attractive, well-educated women with good jobs) have asked me if I know any "good men". I don't - the ones I know who are not already in stable relationships, are not getting any recommendations from me. Many of the single guys are fun to drink & hang out with, but I am not going to set up a nice decent Thai girl with a heavy-drinking, butterflying farang who's main interst is bar girls and binge drinking.

I've had the same requests and I also can't think of any Farangs that I know who I would recommend to any girl.

Bilko - Perhaps we should meet up and swap girls, eh - details - since we are obviously both such nice guys. :D

.....No need to tell the wives.... :D:D:o

where do you get smoked salmon in Bangkok?  The salmon they have in foodland (only place I know that sells it) sucks big time - old and overpriced..

Makro sells forzen Norwegian smoked salmon in slices at 75 baht for 100g. There are also bigger chunks on offer but don't have the price for them.

A while ago all of a sudden I developed a graving for smoked salmon so I got me some there and put it on freshly roasted toast. Edible, affordable and satisfied the urge. Mission accomplished :o

Cheers,

Richard :D

where do you get smoked salmon in Bangkok?  The salmon they have in foodland (only place I know that sells it) sucks big time - old and overpriced..

Makro sells forzen Norwegian smoked salmon in slices at 75 baht for 100g. There are also bigger chunks on offer but don't have the price for them.

A while ago all of a sudden I developed a graving for smoked salmon so I got me some there and put it on freshly roasted toast. Edible, affordable and satisfied the urge. Mission accomplished :o

Cheers,

Richard :D

Thanks Richard - will check it out!

many of the buffets in town have smoked salmon as one of their offerings. in particular, I've seen it at the radisson hotel buffet, and at any of the oishii restaurants. also, at the sunday brunch buffet at the huntsman pub/landmark hotel.

love those buffets.

Just out of curiosity SimCity; where do you get smoked salmon in Bangkok? The salmon they have in foodland (only place I know that sells it) sucks big time - old and overpriced..

I got some at Carrefour / makro / villa market / sometime foodland... but the best are from Narai restaurant in silom ..

Buffet at night 390 baht and smoked salmon on offer, this hotel cater for Swedish peoples :o

Generally I get 8-10 plates every time , they have caper and soar cream and a no working pepper grinder ! they have a sashimi bar with fresh salmon, the ice cream ok , salads ok , espresso machine ! I do not take the main course or entry ..just happy with the smoked salmon dinner :D !

I got some at Carrefour / makro / villa market / sometime foodland... but the best are from Narai restaurant in silom ..

Buffet at night 390 baht and smoked salmon on offer, this hotel cater for Swedish peoples :o

Generally I get 8-10 plates every time , they have caper and soar cream and a no working pepper grinder ! they have a sashimi bar with fresh salmon, the ice cream ok , salads ok , espresso machine ! I do not take the main course or entry ..just happy with the smoked salmon dinner :D !

SimCity - is that the Narai hotel you are referring to? Can't seem to find a Narai Restaurant in Silom.....

dinner time not lunch , never see them running out , they have a separate table for it , must come from sweden .

did not said was the best i try ..

petrossian in paris have some very good one ! but not for 380 bahts all you can eat is good !

Since I posted the above (before Bilko's reply), I have had a few people PM'ing me telling me they are nice guys looking for nice girls and can't we meet up, etc, etc... :o

While I have no problem with meeting up with new people and having a few beers, certain circumstances prevents me from following up on the offers at present (wife about to give birth is a few weeks, etc). I also think it would be difficult for me to judge a person (as in a suitable boyfriend for one of my wife's friends) after a single encounter in a bar.

My advise to you guys who are living here in Thailand long-time, looking for a stable relationship and marriage (not just free sex before next payday), is to get to know some farangs who have settled down herewith decent women. Once they, especially the spouses, have come to the conclusion you are OK, I am sure they will introduce you to some suitable birds. Otherwise, ditto for Thai friends of both sexes. Having a platonic relationship with a few Thai women can also lead to some interesting introductions (which is how I met my wife :D ).

There is no quick and easy way, and it will probably happen when you least expect it, but be patient, stay away from the girly bars (or at least be discreet about it, like the Thais). Dress and behave properly, and most important of all, be a gentleman.

I will probably be present on the TV meeting on the 29th, so if you meet me, buy me a drink and I will elaborate :D

It's all about girls and sex. Let's face it. We all want to believe something else...especially when we live there ourselves (I did)...so we some times make good arguments about Thai foods, smiling people and so on. Who wants to admit it anyway? Actually I've met people who have managed to convince themselves that they are in Bangkok because of the foods and culture etc. But...still they hang out in farang bars and eat pizza...

I just cannot understand this fascination some people have with living in Bangkok.

OK – I know there are those that have to, because of their job, studies etc. But why do perfectly normal, intelligent ex-pats actually choose to live there?

Look at some of the negatives:

• Pollution

• Congestion

• High price of accommodation

• All too many “lost” ex-pats

Of the positive things I can imagine – most of which could begin with “B” – there are other places in Thailand where these can be acquired – less expensively and in more conducive atmospheres.

There is not much else, as far as I can see.

So could someone explain why it is refugees from western civilisation actually choose to live in the capitol city of the Land of Smiles?

thread has gone two directions:

I prefer Chiang Rai. Y'all think it's boring but I grew up in Los Angeles. Nothing beats THAT big city. Bangkok is an overload of excess.

Thai women: you guys have had experiences with the wrong women now you've jumped to conclusions. My Thai speaking is good enough to not limit me to the bar scene. you can't turn a ho into a housewife.

It's all about girls and sex. Let's face it. We all want to believe something else...especially when we live there ourselves (I did)...so we some times make good arguments about Thai foods, smiling people and so on. Who wants to admit it anyway? Actually I've met people who have managed to convince themselves that they are in Bangkok because of the foods and culture etc. But...still they hang out in farang bars and eat pizza...

So how about the millions of Thai people living here in Bangkok, are they all here for the girls & sex too.....????

I had to drive to Bangkok yesterday to conduct some business.

It felt like I was coming home.

I love that city.

:D

Beer? <deleted> too late. Maybe next time?

It was a drive-up-at-8:00am-and-be-back-in-Laem-Chabang-by-5:00pm type trip.

Don't worry mate... if I'm in BKK for any decent length of time I'll give you a call.

I've got your number... :o

It just puts a smile on my face everytime I go. Friends, Family and the feel of the Crazy Mango!

Never stayed there longer than 8 months, but when I did I really enjoyed it. Its big city living, either you love it or hate it.... cannot explain, but then some things are not meant to be...

:o

Edited by lopburiguy

bangkok has everything u need..! simple as that....

no matter where u live in life u will encounter problems....

traffic sure...get the skytrain or bts

pollution..sure...name one big city in the world that hasn't

i would rather live in a big city with so much choice...its all to do with choice and keeping your mind active.....

better bangkok...than rotting away your mind and body in the isolated country...god couldnt think of a worse way to live your life....

life is way too short to live in the country..... :o

CHOICE AND CONVIENCE is my answer

Absolutely, Bangkok is the best....it has more of everything and everything it has is better...just read all of these great posts....everyone is a great testimonial as to it greatness...... In Thai Bangkok's name is really long but it starts with Krung Thep Mahanakon.....and "Mahanakon" means 'great city'....really....When your plane lands at the airport, you just get your little self into town and you don't need to go any farther...because its all there...everything...the best of Thai culture and the best of western culture...everything...You want Rembrandt toothpaste...they've got it...you want Kellogs Corn Flakes...they've got that too....you want Som Tam...yep that too...sticky rice....yes indeed....durian....yes....mangosteen...yes...beer....my goodness yes and some nice smiling friends to sit and sip and nod right along with you.....sooooooo.....just remember one thing....you don't need to leave Bangkok at all on your vacation or after you move to Thailand....and if you do find something you can't get in Bangkok, like for instance the ocean....then you can go SOUTH from Bangkok and find it. The further north you go the farther you will get from this wonderful having it all metropolis and the more inconvenient everything will be....it is definitely very less convenient the farther north you go...inconvenience reigns in the north...definitely....

It is becoming hard not to notice each time a thread comes up that is not favorable to the north several certain crusaders rush in and become especially defensive about it--twice just in this thread alone. I don't see any value of these subtle put downs to the discussion and find it ironic such pompous people devote time in the Bangkok mini-forum in the first place. It is getting a bit old. Please try to remain calm when I say this: throughout Thailand there are those who prefer to live there, even outside of the north. It's not the end of the world, jing jing.

It is becoming hard not to notice each time a thread comes up that is not favorable to the north several certain crusaders rush in and become especially defensive about it--twice just in this thread alone. I don't see any value of these subtle put downs to the discussion and find it ironic such pompous people devote time in the Bangkok mini-forum in the first place. It is getting a bit old. Please try to remain calm when I say this: throughout Thailand there are those who prefer to live there, even outside of the north. It's not the end of the world, jing jing.

You misunderstand us completely. We are totally sincere in our belief that the best place for tourists to visit and for foreigners to live is in Bangkok and the south. On many occasions we have posted about the short comings of the north and how inconvenient it is up here. We are just trying to help people make good decisions and not waste their time and resources. I stated that Bangkok has everything...do you disagree? I said that there are lots of posts on this thread that attest to how great Bangkok is...do you disagree? What is it about my post that you disagree with? I said it before and I'll say it again, the best place for tourists to visit and foreigners to make their homes is in Bangkok or the surrounding are in the South....no need to go any further...definitely the south...definitely....