Thai Drivers Licence

scorpio1945

Looking at getting a Thai drivers Licence. TV says I need doctors cert. and letter of residency among other thing. Has this been CR locals experiences. Hoping to avoid a trip to MaeSai if possible. Would a lease work. Any helpful hints. I did not realize that insurance may not be valid w/o one.

helpful hints - if any

Thanks

• Like 1

Got both types a few months ago in Chiang Mai.

>I have a retirement visa

>I have a valid and current US drivers license for both auto and motorcycle.

>I went to a medical clinic where a doctor asked me a few questions then gave me his stamp of approval. I got 2 copies of the form, one for auto, one for motor license.

>I had to fill out a form at the US Consulate, don't remember exactly what it said but it was an easy document to fill out. Had to have it notorized, Thai License department copied for me which saved me double notory fee.

>At the Thai License office I had to do a reaction test, sat in a chair and stomped on a brake pedal when a red light flashed. It was a timed test. I passed.

>Had to pay for each license, not much, each under 200bt.

>License good for 1 year then renewable for 5 years.

Hope this helps, Shamas O'D

I've Lived here for 17 years and never have had a Thai Licence. When asked at police checks I flashed my UK/Europe one, every time the police officer's eyes (who rarely can read English) glaze over and I've been waved on with a smile. TIT (This is Thailand)

<BR>Got both types a few months ago in Chiang Mai.<BR><BR>>I have a retirement visa<BR>>I have a valid and current US drivers license for both auto and motorcycle.<BR>>I went to a medical clinic where a doctor asked me a few questions then gave me his stamp of approval.   I got 2 copies of the form, one for auto, one for motor license.<BR>>I had to fill out a form at the US Consulate, don't remember exactly what it said but it was an easy document to fill out.   Had to have it notorized, Thai License department copied for me which saved me double notory fee.<BR>>At the Thai License office I had to do a reaction test, sat in a chair and stomped on a brake pedal when a red light flashed.   It was a timed test.  I passed.<BR>>Had to pay for each license, not much, each under 200bt.<BR>>License good for 1 year then renewable for 5 years.<BR><BR>Hope this helps, Shamas O'D<BR>
<BR>Pretty much the same here in Chiang Rai except we go to Maisai for the residency permit.<BR>The doctors certificate shouldn't be any more than 50 baht, use to be 20 baht.<BR>I asked my insurance company, AIG about the need for a Thai licence and they said, it could be an issue if there was any claim so I advise you strongly if you are driving in Thailand, get a driving licence.<BR>It's not difficult to get .<BR><BR><BR>

From what I understand, an International Driving Permit is required, coupled with your home country licence. The IDP is valid for one year, however, it is only valid for continuous use in one country for 3 months, so, I would imagine, technically speaking, after that your insurance may well be invalidated. This is the kind of thing that can only be found out the hard way so, if you can get one ( a Thai licence) I reckon you should.

With regard to the residence letter in Mai Sai, what did you need to provide in order to get it? Was it at a police station or an immigration office? Did you use Mai Sai because it can only be obtained there or because it's the nearest one to your home?

Cheers,

Biff

With regard to the residence letter in Mai Sai, what did you need to provide in order to get it? Was it at a police station or an immigration office? Did you use Mai Sai because it can only be obtained there or because it's the nearest one to your home?

Cheers,

Biff

For the residence letter you need either a signed rental agreement or if you have a partner, the house and land papers and the form stating you are resident at the given address, filled in and signed by partner.

The form looks like this.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/res_cert.doc

I am not 100% sure if they will accept the downloaded application form or not.

If you are going to Maisai better to bring, wife or landlord and all documentation.

The first time I went I forgot to bring the wife:annoyed: and had to go back again.

If anyone is going to Maisai in the next few days maybe they can get a form for you.

I've Lived here for 17 years and never have had a Thai Licence. When asked at police checks I flashed my UK/Europe one, every time the police officer's eyes (who rarely can read English) glaze over and I've been waved on with a smile. TIT (This is Thailand)

This goes for me too, I have lived here for only three years and just got my thai drivers license here in Chaiyaphum. I have been stoped numerous times. And they only look quickly at it, not able to read or understand whatever it says.

But having that said, count the times that I have NOT been stoped at controls. It it like 99% of all times. Open window, show your face, OK falang go ahead....

But thai driver license gives you something extra. At least it feels like that. When authorities look at it you are given much more respect, and are not treated exactly that shitty as being an tourist.

Glegolo

My wife says that they almost always wave farangs on so as to avoid speaking English.

Having said that I have been stopped, questioned and the car thoroughly searched with no comment made that I only had an Australian license and passport to present.

You do need that trip to Mae sai. The other way to get that certificate with your address is to contact your embassy/consulate. They can issue this as well.

It is always up to the local authorities how they handle the rules. I think in chiang rai province you do need all your paperwork ok before going. Or you will be send back. At mae sai immigration office, they also charge 100 baht for this document. And they do not give you a receive.

<BR>You do need that trip to Mae sai. The other way to get that certificate with your address is to contact your embassy/consulate. They can issue this as well.<BR><BR>It is always up to the local authorities how they handle the rules. I think in chiang rai province you do need all your paperwork ok before going. Or you will be send back. At mae sai immigration office, they also charge <STRONG><U>100 baht for this document.</U></STRONG> And they do not give you a receive.<BR>
<BR><BR>Are you sure about this?<BR>It's the first I've heard about it and if you confirm it, I will ask them to verify it.<BR><BR><BR>

It is ONLY in the event of an ACCIDENT that the S__t may hit the fan. Otherwise I would not bother either.

What I am using as a reference is a TV information page (not forum) that I stumbled on but can not find again for some reason. It is titled "How and why to get your Thai driver's license" All I have is the last part of the address. ...information.in.th/driving-license.html

Probably best to drop by the transport office where they are issued and ask as, this being Thailand, it often depends on which province you live, which day you visit and who you speak to as to what documents are required. I got both my car & bike licence fairly easily with my UK licence, Visa, WP, letter from immigration and a ridiculously easy test which involved pulling a piece of string until two markers were level. I have also heard that insurance is often not valid if you don't have one and IF you have an accident it can mean more $ having to be paid out to the BIB or if it's a bad one then more time spent in prison. It's also handy to have as it means you can pay the Thai price when going to national parks etc instead of the 800% inflated farang price.

Edited by skybluestu

Cheers,

Biff

For the residence letter you need either a signed rental agreement or if you have a partner, the house and land papers and the form stating you are resident at the given address, filled in and signed by partner.

The form looks like this.

http://www.immigrati...ad/res_cert.doc

I am not 100% sure if they will accept the downloaded application form or not.

If you are going to Maisai better to bring, wife or landlord and all documentation.

The first time I went I forgot to bring the wife:annoyed: and had to go back again.

If anyone is going to Maisai in the next few days maybe they can get a form for you.

Cool, thanks.

So, Tabien Baan (with partners name on it), partner, and a form obtained from immigration office. I assume that if they only accept a copy obtained from them then it can be filled in when you get there.

I also assume, my passport, and, this being Thailand, 46 photocopies of everything :lol:

Also mentioned in the other threads about licences was the need for a long term visa or extension thereof, ie; tourist visa or 30 day on arrival stamp is not enough to get a licence.

The reason why I asked if it HAS to be Mae Sai is that there's an immigration office in Chiang Saen 3km from my g/f's house. I guess the best thing to do is ask them :)

The other, far more expensive route is to get a letter from the UK consulate in Chiang Mai, last I heard this was over 2,000 baht!

Good to know that Chiang Rai accept the Thai Immigration letter as people in other parts of the country had reported that their offices would only accept the Consulate/Embassy letter.

Cheers,

Biff

I'm sure I never paid for mine when I registered the car. The saleswoman who sold it to me came along and handled things which may have made a difference.

If it's what I think it is, this document is only good for 30 days.

• 4 weeks later...

Got both licenses, 100 baht for 2 residency cert. 400 bt for the two licenses. Had to do written test on a terminal and do a riding test for MC since I did not have MC endorsement on US license. Took from 900-1400. car only took about an hour. They now have US styled licenses so no need to bring picture.

Test a little tricky since the questions are in thai english and some pictures are a bit fuzzy.

Will see if I get thai price next time I go to park or zoo,etc

Hi:!

I dont really know this-but get it from a friend, who is in traffic police in Chiang Mai-and he told me, that about one or two month from now,they really,can send you home, for up to 5 years-if you dont have the driver license-to car.

So we better get that one-or stop driving whitout,I think.!

Brianmarinus.

Edited by brianmarinus

• 2 months later...