Myanmar Shuts Major Border Checkpoint With Thailand

Myanmar shuts major border checkpoint with Thailand

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Myanmar has completely shut a major border checkpoint with Thailand amid a dispute over construction of a river dyke, Thai officials said Tuesday.

Myanmar had already prevented vehicles using the Friendship Bridge linking the town of Mae Sot in northwest Thailand with Myawaddy in eastern Myanmar, and since the weekend has also stopped people crossing on foot.

"Myanmar has completely sealed off the checkpoint since Sunday," Mae Sot district chief Kittisak Tomornsak told AFP by telephone. "Now we have stopped building the dyke."

The closure has affected traders using the bridge, although many Myanmar migrants cross the porous border illegally.

Myanmar is believed to be unhappy with the construction of embankments on the Thai side of the Moei River because they can cause erosion on its side.

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had planned a visit to Myanmar in early August but the trip has been postponed, government spokesman Panitan Watanayagorn said, adding that the delay was not connected to the border issue.

"It's possible that the visit might be delayed beyond August because Myanmar has not yet set the exact date," he said, adding that Thailand had complied with international standards in the construction of the artificial riverbank.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-20

This is the crossing I would use in October, how do I find out if a crossing is open or not? I am in Nakhon Sawan what would be the alternative?

As ever thanks for any information forthcoming.

Thai PM: Myanmar will re-open Mae Sot-Myawaddy border checkpoint soon

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Thursday said he believed Myanmar would soon re-open the Mae Sot-Myawaddy border checkpoint after Myanmar received information about and better understands Thailand's river bank protection construction project on the Mae Sot side of the Moei River.

Meanwhile, the postponement of his Myanmar visit indefinitely would not affect bilateral ties as the two countries are enjoying strong relations, the Thai prime minister said.

Border trade and transport at the Mae Sot-Myawaddy border was suspended after Myanmar officials shut the border at the Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge crossing the Moei River and at over 20 cross-border trading ports along the river July 12.

It is believed that the Myanmar authorities were unhappy with Thailand's building river bank protection on the Thai side because the construction caused soil and rocks to fall into the river.

Mr Abhisit said the project was ordered to be suspended and information on the project was sent to Myanmar's authorities and from now on the two sides would hold talks under the framework of the Thai-Myanmar Township Border Committee (TBC).

The premier said Thailand would like Myanmar to re-open the border first and believed Myanmar will do so soon and after that the processes to improve understanding will start and information would be conveyed to the Myanmar government in Naypyidaw for decision to open the border.

He said Myanmar and Thailand are both concerned about their own river banks and worry that any construction could affect the river's course and the border line. Thailand, therefore, decided to stop the project and hold talks for clarification.

As for his official visit to Myanmar, Mr Abhisit said the scheduled plan had to be postponed as both sides could not find the compromised time schedule that could match up.

The Thai premier gave assurances that bilateral ties remain strong and that he has good relations with the Myanmar leaders and that cooperation between the two countries is running smoothly.

Mr Abhisit earlier said he would visit the neighbouring country in early August, ahead of its first general election in two decades, scheduled to be held sometime this year.

The Thai premier's trip to Myanmar was first scheduled last July but then was postponed as it coincided with the incident in which an American man swam across the lake into the home of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is confined under house arrest.

Mr Abhisit said last month that he will visit Myanmar for one or two days as part of his overseas missions to create better understanding on Thailand's recent political crisis and violent street protests. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-22

This is the crossing I would use in October, how do I find out if a crossing is open or not? I am in Nakhon Sawan what would be the alternative?

As ever thanks for any information forthcoming.

I have phoned Tak Immigration when there has been problems at the bridge before. They always know if it's open or not.