Legionnaire's Disease Outbreak Warning In North Thailand

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. If you are in the outbreak region and begin to have any pneumonia-like symptoms, acquire these herbs as quickly as possible to get yourself up for a prevention programme: Andrographis Complex (6 tablets or 5mL daily), Echinacea premium quality (3 tablets or 8mL daily), Grindelia (3mL)

Get 2 of the 3 products if possible. These are for shielding against the bacteria colonizing in your lungs. Take for 90 days. It would also be beneficial to add Calcium Lactate or Citrate to your programme (6 tablets daily).

I haven't yet relocated to Thailand but when I do, I shall make my presence known here at Thai Visa so that I may be of service to your good health.

Edited by themuse1969

Well, I've just had 3 brand new Aircons fitted in my home and ever since then I've had a cold and a permanent cough. Does this mean I have Legionaire's disease now?

No it means you could be allergic to the AC,i have the same problem,i never use the AC in hotels (ask for a fan),(patlum),nor do i have it at home,sorry to say you may have wasted your cash,i bought a potable AC 2000Bt,you fill with water or if you need to be more cool you can put ice in,works great,i also use ceiling and/or a portable stand up fan,if it's really hot i have a supply of damp towles in the fridge to dowse down with (paian) easy simple,AC is overrated.

Well that answers my question, as to why i got a chest infection on my holidays.

I now take antibiotics just in case.

Plus i leaned from my Thai friends, to sniff the Thai tiger balm.

It has helped over the last 2 trips and i now use it at home.

Same here I rented a condo in Chiang mai and every time I was there i got sick. Some times for weeks. When i left i got better very fast. <BR>It was an upscale condo that had CARPET that was never cleaned properly i think.<BR>Since i changed condos I have not had another problem.<BR>

According to www.legionella.com, air conditioners are not a source of Legionaires disease.They were suspected to be the source of the original American Legion outbreak in a Philadelphia hotel, but new data suggests that the water supply was the culprit, as was the well publicised outbreak in the BBC building.The most popular theory is inhaling droplets of water containing Legionella, but new evidence suggests that it is aspiration or choking.

Well, I've just had 3 brand new Aircons fitted in my home and ever since then I've had a cold and a permanent cough. Does this mean I have Legionaire's disease now?

No it means that your temp is to far down mate :)

27c ????

Legionella pneumophila is transmitted in water droplets. If the drain pan of the A/C is full/blocked and the fan blade throws the water out with the air it could cause a problem. Most cases are reported in hospitals and is due to water sitting in shower or taps that are not used for a long time. In hospitals you also have people with compromised immune systems.(sick people)

Legionnaire is easily treatable if you know whet to look for.

Go to the following link for information http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/515/main.html

There is a tablet that can be added to the A/C drain pan that will kill most all bacteria and also keep the drain pan and pipe open and kills most all smells.

There has been a significant increase in the number of patients in the North, though the figures cannot be revealed as it would hurt tourism, Injai said.

fuc_k you, Mr. Injai Wongrattanasathien!

:sick:

God there are some ignorany beings posting on here!!!

Legionaires disease is water borne and is commonly found only in the much older water cooled aircon systems that serve larger buildings. These systems have been completely replaced in most countries in the West because of this but it eould not surprise me to find some left in less regulated countries.

The typical aircon system in use in homes and smaller buildings purely circulates the air through a heat exchanger in the room unit (that takes the heat out of the room). The fluid (used to be CFCs but is now almost certainly the ozone friendly Freon) in the room unit NEVER comes into contact with the air inside. Ditto the outside air unless you open the window (which would be a bit daft). The water that is deposited outside is condensation from inside the room - humid air, breath etc. The outside unit just cools the freon so it can cool the air inside through another heat exchanger (to lose the heat gained from the room).

There has been a significant increase in the number of patients in the North, though the figures cannot be revealed as it would hurt tourism, Injai said.

So, I am not alone with my somewhat mystified amusement at that statement!!! :blink:

Cleaning a filter in a split system is unlikely to help but might make you feel better by taking other pollutants out of the air.

unquote

you obviously dont stay in the cheap hotels i do.

the old aircons with the filter pad at the back of the room unit are the worst. i always immediately take the filter down and wash it, its normallly clogged up with dust and WORST still BLACK MOULD

This is unpleasant and gave me itchy eyes and coughing lungs. its a curse and very prevalent in LOS - as it is in the southern yankee states

its potentially harmful to young babies, children and old people with chest problems - no joke you dont want an attack caused by this fungus.

So clean you filters

Also this mould collects on fan blades , you may have noticed a build up of black dust. fans must be cleaned once a month - its amazing how much dust and black mould collects on the blades. i use bleach as well.

google the problem, its fascinating

one house in us was infested to the extent it had to be torn down.

more info visit

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg376.pdf

o btw

any kind of chest infection in the tropics must be treated quickly and viewed as potentially serious - it can escalate rapidly and you can die, so dont ignore it and leave it to fester for weeks - where the bacteria colony grows stronger and more drug resistant

i had a annoying chest problem and went to the quack who gave me a green pill - a very strong antobiotic that made me very dizzy but it did the trick, sorry forgotten the name but i did look it up and it was a serious drug.

Edited by robint

As if a Thai hotel will go to the expense of cleaning umpteen air conditioners in their hotel. Why do people bother writing this shit, nothing will ever be done about it....

The reason people bother writing about this "shit" as you say, Thaihog, is because just maybe it will help a few others, then you, to take notice and care, also by talking to the hotel, lodge, condo wherever, your chances of something happening is a tad more, then saying or doing nothing.

One should not always ass u me, clue in the people, even if only one, does something about it, hold your breath nothing happens and ones life ends, share some knowledge and it could help another, get the bad taste out Thaihog, don't put everyone in the same box, think outside of it.

374.bmp

About 40 per cent of the airconditioning units and water supply system in 100 hotels and business establishments in the North were found to be carrying the Legionella bacteria, posing the risk of an outbreak of Legionnaire's disease

If this is only a random sample I believe that the percentile is potentially higher than this. A questions remains, of the other hotels and businesses; do they even know about this or do they even care to fix it? sad.gif

No, it means you've got the temperature turned down too low ;) Max 6°C below outside temps (some people say 4°C) and don't let it blow straight on you when you're sleeping, and you should be fine...

Reason for edit: age :|

Edited by AsiaCheese

I used to stay at a hotel in Bangkok where I would get sick every time I stayed there. I suspected that there was some kind of bacteria in the air con and stopped staying there and stopped getting sick when I visited Bangkok..

I got the same with our old Toyota Hilux if we were away for a while every time we went back to LOS I got sick. Someone said could be the Aircon and sure enough after getting it cleaned the problem went away.

I have three 21 year old aircon units in my rented house. How do I clean the filters?With water or just shake them ss I have always done? Thanks in advance Dave..No good asking the landlord for help or new units...lol

stagnent water in the pipes is one of the chief sources of the bacteria, when checking into a little used hotel it is a good idea to run the water in the bathroom for some time,. Also undo the shower head and wash out well in hot water before taking a shower. These simple precautions should destroy the bacteria.

Contamination of storage tanks and large air con cooling systems is another question.

Legionella is a water-borne bacterium. It doesn't live in aircon filtres, so if you or your hotel room has the standard wall or ceiling mounted aircon unit, you have nothing to worry about from Legionella. Legionaires Disease is spread by aerosols and central cooling systems that use water chillers. It is also spread by Legionella contaminated water in showers or even in spas and jacuzzis. I think the latter routes are not given as much attention as the spread through HVAC systems.

By the way, if you are really concerned, there is apparently a laboratory in Bangkok that can do the testing. We've used them in the past in testing water for contaminants (not Legionella) and they do go work.

http://ncalabs.co.th/

<P>Been living here fulltime 8 years always in rented houses..To make a long story short(er)i just tell you ONE of many storys:

</P><P>Rented a new house from a Thai english teacher here in Udon,price right everything looked ok.Me and my wife and a 13 year old stepdauther decided to move in.After a while maybe a couple of months i had replace ALL the lights in the livingroom atleast 2 times..Contacted my landlord and said that something is not right whith the wiring in the house..she said it was..OK..months pass same happens..i said please check the wiring..nope everything is new and perfectly in order,nothing wrong here..Untill one day the whole eletricbox went up in flames..luckily i was home..I phoned here at here school and in recordtime she came to see what could have ended in a disaster...I call chang come fix..okey good i answered...Electric guy came and said that those who built the house had cut some corners to try and save a few bucks..Electricbox was just a really el sheapo tinge..not good for anything..replace it for a new one 2000Bath.</P><P>Suddenly no moore lights to be change,everything worked...But what did my lanlord do...SHE WENT TO HER FRIEND AND TOLD THAT SHE HAD TO PAY 2000BATH..BITCHING AND MOANING HOW EXPENSIVE IT WAS...NOTHING ABOUT WHAT REALLY COULD HAVE HAPPEND...THAT THE WHOLE HOUSE COULD HAVE BURNT DOWN...</P><P><BR></P><P>.....maintenance/cleaning..THAT'S ANOTHER THINGE they don't care about at all...Btw,how many of you have seen a Thai housewife cleaning the windows of their house?..or repainting the house..not to many i would guess..</P><P>//Mr.Hydro</P>

Legonella bacteria is found everywhere, in any puddle or pond.

Its only dangerous when it becomes very concentrated when allowed to breed and then becomes airbourne like in airconditioner. It is found in concentration in air conditioner towers.

They need to clean it and add chemicals to stop bacteria... no problem for hotel if farang die.. more farang come next year

......to clean most aircon media .... get some latex gloves and a face mask. And ladder.

All units are a basic heat pump with a fan that blows the now-cooled air through a filter media.

Turn unit OFF before commencing any work.

You might need a screwdriver to assist in removing cover(s).

You'll find a gauzey-like pad about 1" thick and pretty much the same SIZE as the unit itself.

Remove this and place within handy plastic bag( big). Have your measuring tape handy and measure it.

Write down the measurements.

Wash unit's air intakes and exhaust area with a paint brush, using a mix of hot soapy water and bleach (Clorox).

Dry and clean best you can.

Read the instructions over a few times.

Just head over to Home Pro. They'll help get you the same-sized filter media. Ditch the old one at the store.

Buy several. Change media about every 1-2 months. The air in Prathet Thai is extremely funky and sooty.

Don't believe me? Look at your pat lom (fan) after a month of operation. Filled with funk.

Head home and install fresh aircon media.

If this is too much work, just run your fan. I hate aircon, the shock from humid-hot to cold-dry (airconditioning works on a principles of dehumidifying

the air and cooling it.). If this it beyond you, Google it for further reading.

You can enter your make and model and there is most likely a how-to-section on maintenance.

If a Thai girl comes over and hits the aircon, I cut things short and boot her out.

Realistically, the Thaii girls in Pattaya want YOUR loom with YOU NOT IN IT!

Understand this and you will have not problems in Prathet Thai.

Quote; though the figures cannot be revealed as it would hurt tourism, Injai said

Yeah well... it could be anything between a hundred and a million... you decide and then, come or not...

...Amazing Thailand..:rolleyes:

Edited by DonGato

Just a couple of points

1) Why haven't the the hotels with contamination been shut down.

2) Have recent guest and hotel staff been told of the contamination so they have the option of getting a check up?

3) If the elderly and smokers need to wear masks entering a contaminated site. How do they know the site is contaminated?? Did the hotel put up a sign in reception advising of Legionnaires??

Why shut the hotels down? its a simple matter of maintenance on the air and water systems in these hotels; this would obviate the need for 2) and 3). No need to use a hammer to kill a mosquito...

why

?I like to squash them

I made it a rule to myself , to clean the aircon filter when I stayed at hotels and guest houses , it is a simple task to remove it and wash it thoroughly ander running water . Why did I do that you may ask ? The first guest house I stayed at , I sprayed air cleanser into the back of the unit , nothing came out at the front vent , I asked the manager to have the filter cleaned he said "They are all cleaned on a regular schedule " . I went back up to my room and removed the filter , it was plugged almost solid so I took it in a plastic bag to show him , I explained to him that this made the aircon very inificiant and cost him a lot of money when clients used the aircon , he brought in people to clean all of the aircon units , I doubt very much they had been cleaned in years .

You should all be aware of the Thai policy with almost all things 'Do not fix it 'til it is broken ' .

I believe Legionnaire's Disease is to do with the cooling systems rather than the in room aircon where the air is usually cooled and re-cycled. Wiki entry:

Legionellosis infection normally occurs after inhaling an aerosol (suspension of fine particles in air) containing Legionella bacteria. Such particles could originate from any infected water source. When mechanical action breaks the surface of the water, small water droplets are formed, which evaporate very quickly. If these droplets contain bacteria, the bacteria cells remain suspended in the air, invisible to the naked eye but small enough to be inhaled into the lungs.[7] This often occurs in poorly ventilated areas such as prisons where a condensating air conditioner can spread it throughout the entire room, infecting anyone not immune to the strand of bacteria. Potential sources of such contaminated water include cooling towers used in industrial cooling water systems as well as in large central air conditioning systems, evaporative coolers, hot water systems, showers, whirlpool spas, architectural fountains, room-air humidifiers, ice making machines, misting equipment, and similar disseminators that draw upon a public water supply. The disease may also be spread in a hot tub if the filtering system is defective.[8] Freshwater ponds, creeks, and ornamental fountains are potential sources of Legionella.[9] The disease is particularly associated with hotels, cruise ships and hospitals with old, poorly maintained pipework and cooling systems. A study published by the European Journal of Epidemiology points to automotive windshield washing systems as a source, recommending the addition of an antibacterial agent to the system's reservoir.

Cleaning a filter in a split system is unlikely to help but might make you feel better by taking other pollutants out of the air.

and also car wash places