New Laws For Red Plates Introduced

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it take the MVD so long to issue a new license plate? A procedure, which is a matter of hours in most countries can take months here. I would suggest that the MVD cleans up it own business before making our lifes miserable.

The whole system of Red License Plates is only necessary because of the lack of efficiency of the MVD. In most countries a new car is delivered with valid license plates, not temporary things.

And then this totally stupid rule that with a red license plate you are not supposed to drive in the night. It's just another opportunity for the men in khaki to extort some money from car drivers. Because there is really absolutely no reason whatsoever not to drive a new car in the night.

OK, enough ranting. :jap:

This is another bullshit law!

When I bought my truck, the dealer issued us red plated.. he said we can use these till our white plates came in! After 3 months with red plates we called the dealer and was told they never ordered our white plates because the sales person wrote down the wrong vin number!

Of course they never called us to let us know! So after they copied the right vin number down.. It still took 2 months for ourwhite plates to get here! So who pays under this new law........WE DO!!!!!

BULL SHIT LAW!:annoyed:

I tried very hard to get my white plates for my motorcycle. I wanted no1 plate and was told it would take 3 months or 2 months for any other number. After ringing the bike dealer every month to see what was happening, it took me 8 months before I could even take the bike to Bangkok to have it taken into the rego branch for checking. I was told that there were many other people also waiting because registration was having problems including computer problems. I had thai friends also enquire for me and they got the same responses.

I had papers from the dealer to say everything was paid including tax. Customs and excise once hastled me, I showed them my documents, with receipt nos, a name of someone in registration that told me to call them if there were any problems and it still took them 3 hrs ringing Bangkok before they let me go and gave me another copy saying tax had been paid.

I was stopped in Bangkok and they wanted 5000baht, and I rang the company that was handling my transfer. They got it down to 1000 baht. The bike was locked up at Phuket police station overnight after being stopped, they were demanding 20000baht to give me my bike back.

After ringing the dealer the bike had been bought from,, he got someone to contact the police and I got it back for 1000 baht.

I rang every 2 weeks or so trying to get my plates. It turned into a nightmare.

Finally, after 1 year and 2 months I got my plate. 2 weeks later my blue book arrived.

I met one guy that took him 2 years before he got his.

Just another way to obscure the failing of government agencies. If number plates would be issued as in non banana republics, each and every car leaving the showroom would have an original plate within 1 or latest 2 working days. The hallmarks of each and every government that is failing its people is that they make new laws to protect their incompetent employees.

3,000 Km is for professional drivers often one trip or less. Stupidity rules in Abhisit's government, as always.

The reason is very simple. Friendly companies who pay kick backs make the plates. Badly educated staff have no clue how to order and the government agencies in charge do not give a dam_n because their people are overruled all the time, by another political figure head that gets appointed after another cabinet reshuffle. The Thai economy hangs in the balance because of the people that rule Thailand for centuries and who only care about their own wallet.

Why does it take the MVD so long to issue a new license plate? A procedure, which is a matter of hours in most countries can take months here. I would suggest that the MVD cleans up it own business before making our lifes miserable.

The whole system of Red License Plates is only necessary because of the lack of efficiency of the MVD. In most countries a new car is delivered with valid license plates, not temporary things.

And then this totally stupid rule that with a red license plate you are not supposed to drive in the night. It's just another opportunity for the men in khaki to extort some money from car drivers. Because there is really absolutely no reason whatsoever not to drive a new car in the night.

OK, enough ranting. :jap:

Actually Thais are very proud if they can afford a brand new vehicle and they love to how it keeping their red license plate as long as they possibly can, we know a thai BMW Series 3 owner who accepts to pay 'fines' as long as possible, he doesn't want to change for a white license plate, its over a year now and he still proudly presents his 'brandnew' car

Man someone help me, I got a ticket everytime I drove my new toyoto with the red plates. It took for ever to get the new white ones (at least 2 1/2 months or more) We did a lot of travelling and never stopped before dark. I just can't understand why you cannot drive at night with red plates. My girl friend could not explain it to me and the dealer did not speak english so had a problem. Every policeman I ran into looked at those plates if it was after 6PM and either a bribe or ticket was given. If they change it again how do you get those dealer type to get off their keawsters and get the tags for you. I plan to purchase a new truck soon and will go throught this again.

The reason you can't drive with red plates after dark is as obvious as the nose on your face.......... Can I ask why on earth did you let the dealer away with it?......don't have to be able to speak Thai to go to you local cop station and complain about the dealer who was legally bound to supply the plates within the given period.

I have been driving on red plates for over a year in BKK now . Still no problems with that.. Stopped one time for driving at night at Asoke intersection. The officer was happy with 100 Baht. I ordered the white ones a while back at the Land and Transportation Dep. They said it could take a few weeks. No more questions asked..

I do hope that someone has told the Land Transport Office about these new regulations.

They are the ones who create the delays.

IME it takes 2-3 month to get white plates issued.

As for driving on red plates, I once saw a Thai car near Ghenting, just outside KL Malaysia,

with red plates. I was astonished.

HI

I did the same, took my car with red plates to Malaysia, no problem (for me)

It took me almost four months to get white plates for my new Triton in Chiang Mai. We only called about three times while waiting. The second time they blamed it on the redshirt troubles (in Bangkok??)I drove the truck a lot around the greater CM area, including plenty after dark, and never got pulled over.

when i buy my car I get first a set off red plates. When i told them i needed to go to Airport bangkok they changed red plates with a book.

Now i learned that you have to fill in book and can not drive a night with redplates. Luckely i got my white plates within 1 month. They asked if I wanted a special number but cost more and take longer. I told them no offcourse because I think it is strange to ask for special number and pay a lot for it. But some people like.

Thanks for the info

we left Bkk for Lampang as soon as we brought a New G Max, we didnt know you must log in Log Book if driving on Red Plates! to a different Province

got talked too and brought BiB some Drinking Water, no fine!

My car dealer (K motors) took almost two months. . . and that's with me calling and harassing them every week. I say, we shouldn't fine the driver; we should fine the dealers!

Did they get rid of that crazy no driving at night law or is it still in place? AFAIK, most people (myself included) want to get the white plate ASAP because of being harassed by cops at night. I had been stopped over 20 times in 2 months and ticketed once (no questions asked, he just wrote the ticket).

I have bought several new cars here in Thailand all with the initial red plates of course and the average time span per plate was about 2 months.

I drive every day, and so do members of my family, but none of us was ever stopped during the red plate time, but perhaps we were just lucky.

What is surprising and rather worrisome however is the 6 months to "5 years" prison sentence for such a minor offence, and one wonders whether this is in fact correct, since prison sentences like this would be astonishing, after all Thailand is a democracy, with an Oxford educated P.M.

But should this indeed be correct, then in order to avoid such a risk, car buyers will of course no longer collect their new cars from the showrooms prior to having their white plate fitted, and since the white plates are easily available from the approriate authorities, excessive waiting will not be an issue.

I have bought several new cars here in Thailand all with the initial red plates of course and the average time span per plate was about 2 months.

I drive every day, and so do members of my family, but none of us was ever stopped during the red plate time, but perhaps we were just lucky.

What is surprising and rather worrisome however is the 6 months to "5 years" prison sentence for such a minor offence, and one wonders whether this is in fact correct, since prison sentences like this would be astonishing, after all Thailand is a democracy, with an Oxford educated P.M.

But should this indeed be correct, then in order to avoid such a risk, car buyers will of course no longer collect their new cars from the showrooms prior to having their white plate fitted, and since the white plates are easily available from the approriate authorities, excessive waiting will not be an issue.

Go back and re-read the original post - prison terms are only on offer for those using counterfeit (i.e. fake) red plates.

The major point is being missed here.

The fact is that most Thai's don't want to receive their proper number plates quickly - they want to drive on red plates for as long as possible! The reason's simple - everyone knows that if a car's got red plates then it's a new car and Thais want everyone to see they're driving a brand new car!

Spot on

My car dealer (K motors) took almost two months. . . and that's with me calling and harassing them every week. I say, we shouldn't fine the driver; we should fine the dealers!

Did they get rid of that crazy no driving at night law or is it still in place? AFAIK, most people (myself included) want to get the white plate ASAP because of being harassed by cops at night. I had been stopped over 20 times in 2 months and ticketed once (no questions asked, he just wrote the ticket).

You can drive at night on a red number plate providing you write the route and destination in the log book before departure the dealer should have given you a log book book mine did. The extended period of red place usage was a courtesy thing by the dealer. 7 years ago the police were bitching to dealer in BKK about the red plate usage. It is true any delay is down to the dealer, gov/transport office take a minimal amount of to provide the proper plates.

Some cars and bikes you see without plates have been imported but the tax has not been paid so they can't get them registered. Needless to say they cant get insurance and there is a slight risk of having them confiscated but hel_l this is Thailand.

Considering I waited 5 months for my white plates to arrive, this is going to be problematic for many.

Chalk it up to another Thailand scam. I think it's better to just ignore them when they try to stop you.

The major point is being missed here.

The fact is that most Thai's don't want to receive their proper number plates quickly - they want to drive on red plates for as long as possible! The reason's simple - everyone knows that if a car's got red plates then it's a new car and Thais want everyone to see they're driving a brand new car!

In Thai you'd say I think 'Na Yai' or 'big faced' (big headed) when seen driving a new red plated car! They don't want to change - they don't want an efficient same day 'on the spot' service for new number plates!

Yes, it is Na Yai. Big Face.

"Face" is Thailand's own worst enemy.

That was my thinking as well, tell the dealer that you won't collect the vehicle or pay unitil it has white plates and see how fast he can do it when his pocket is affected.

That was my thinking as well, tell the dealer that you won't collect the vehicle or pay unitil it has white plates and see how fast he can do it when his pocket is affected.

They will not care. There are hundersts of other buyers anyway, as they never have enought cars in stock (Have always to wait for a new car anyway).

But another thing: What about all those youngsters on their highly modified "ladybikes" without any lights, or number plates?

Many big bikes are not registered anyway and use red number plates. Will they remove their red plates and drive without any plates? Most of those unsafe "tree wheel cycles" net even have any plates, specially here in Pattaya

Weird to see vehicles on the road without number plates. There was an instant where I saw one Honda Jazz. Putting up the number plate upside down and was parking at Chiang Mai Airport Plaza (Central Plaza). Was it done purposely and to irritate the authourity.

It took the Chevy dealer six months to get white plates, but it never caused us any hassle, so I wasn't sure if the laws still stood about not driving at night etc.

My neighbour's had red plates on his Vigo so at least 18 months and when I casually mentioned this to him, he said he purchased special red plates for a not inconsiderable sum. Show off.

Go back and re-read the original post - prison terms are only on offer for those using counterfeit (i.e. fake) red plates.

No need to go back, the posting was well understood, the usage of fake red plates would be a minor offence in comparison to the stated maximum prison sentence.

I heard that prostitution is also illegal in Thailand...

is it not illigal to drive without number plates in thailand?

I've ALSO heard that's illegal to drive a motorbike on the wrong side of the road in the wrong direction... point is; all laws in Thailand are very "loosely" enforced! Will this one be any different? I think not...

The only law that will be enforced is payoff to the dumb ass cops..... Just another reason to scam people. When will the Govt learn? TIT.

I heard that prostitution is also illegal in Thailand...

is it not illigal to drive without number plates in thailand?

I've ALSO heard that's illegal to drive a motorbike on the wrong side of the road in the wrong direction... point is; all laws in Thailand are very "loosely" enforced! Will this one be any different? I think not...

The only law that will be enforced is payoff to the dumb ass cops..... Just another reason to scam people. When will the Govt learn? TIT.

In the UK manufacturers allow many dealers to pay them when the car is registered (subject to a maximum period) which encourages them to stock more vehicles and so sell more. If the same is true here it will explain why it takes so long -- the dealer has the use of your money to fund his boat, gambling addiction, mistress or whatever. Selling say 50 cars a month at an average one million baht each that he then takes 2 months to register gives him a permanent 100 million baht positive cash flow to play with -- Nice.

Seems a very Thai way of doing things.

Money Talks, and if the dealers, etc, faced high penalties for not providing documentation on time the problem would go away.

Give the customer the right to take back the car/bike/truck after one month and get all their money back if they have not received all the documentation.jap.gif

If this would happen i can see already than many "cheap charlies" would use this option to get a free car rent for one month.

More to the point if the dealer had to refund in full and unable to to deduct for any damage, etc, paperwork or plates would be completed well before the deadline, remember a car loose a lot of value immediately it drives out the showroom for the first time and modern cars are not that easy to clock these days.