New Laws For Red Plates Introduced

I was told by Isuzu when I bought my new D-MAX that the red plates could only be used during daylight hours ie 6PM to 6 AM. The reason being that the red plates are trade plates and the insurance on them is only covered for daylight hours? So if you had a prang at night the insurance wont cover you as you are driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle or bike.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to go back, the posting was well understood, the usage of fake red plates would be a minor offence in comparison to the stated maximum prison sentence.

That's an interesting perception ;)

Tabien Rot plates are a government issued security instrument, as are currency, bonds, ID cards, passports, title deeds etc - I'd personally be very concerned if the law didn't provide a decent deterrant against faking these :blink:

When i got my jazz on the 13th this month they told me it would only take 1 month for new plates. We will see im curious if they are right.

My CR-V was handed over the same day as yours. We also had been told 1 month.

So lets see how long it both takes us to get the white places.

Might be different by province, mine is Prachuap. Whats yours?

Before handing over the bank cheque for my Dmax I had the dealer guarantee, in writing, that my plates would be available within 2 weeks and they were. In the mean time I just drove around without any as they do here in Udon Thani without hassle. A friend waited 3 months for Mitsubishi.

A while ago I could not get white plates for my new truck, after 4 months I went to the main dealer in Bangkok, No Help so I called Toyota in Japan. I had my white plates in 3 days. Problem, the dealer had not paid the tax he collected from me when I purchased the truck. I was told 99% of the dealers hold the tax as long as possible.

Get the selling dealer, not the innocent buyer!

The major point is being missed here.

The fact is that most Thai's don't want to receive their proper number plates quickly - they want to drive on red plates for as long as possible! The reason's simple - everyone knows that if a car's got red plates then it's a new car and Thais want everyone to see they're driving a brand new car!

In Thai you'd say I think 'Na Yai' or 'big faced' (big headed) when seen driving a new red plated car! They don't want to change - they don't want an efficient same day 'on the spot' service for new number plates!

Yes, it is Na Yai. Big Face.

"Face" is Thailand's own worst enemy.

Yeah right, because nobody in the West waits to buy a new car until right after a new letter is introduced for that year do they?

I seem to recall that in the UK they started changing the first letter every six months for exactly this reason. There was always a huge surge in sales every August and the motor industry wanted to spread sales out over the year a bit more evenly. So, not really something you can blame on Thai "face", much as you might want to.

Edited by inthepink

I heard that prostitution is also illegal in Thailand...

It's illegal in many countries. What exactly is your (off-topic) point?

His off -topic point is rather clear ... like illegal prostitution, illegal usage of those "read" plates will not be much impeded either, passing a new law is one thing, implimenting it however is quite another, thus new car buyers don't have to worry too much about this.

His off -topic point is rather clear ... like illegal prostitution, illegal usage of those "read" plates will not be much impeded either, passing a new law is one thing, implimenting it however is quite another, thus new car buyers don't have to worry too much about this.

If it was meant to illustrate the point that laws in Thailand are not enforced very thoroughly then it's a bit of a silly example. Laws concerning prostitution are not effectively enforced in lots of countries that have them.

Back on topic, I thought that this law had been in effect for quite some time.

<P> </P>

<P>Having lived here for nearly 10 Years and having bought several new vehicles, Red Plate's have always caused problems.</P>

<P>It's almost like a Punishment for Buying a New Car, We've always said that the Onus should be on the dealer to provide it</P>

<P>as quickly as possible - What's the problem, it's normally anything from ! Week to a Month after paying your deposit that </P>

<P>You get the car, Why extra Delay and Restrictions for the Number Plate. The Idea of being Fined for using a Red Plate for</P>

<P>too long seems rediculous - why not fine the Dealer........?</P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

We didn't have red plates. Had to drive around with none for the 3 weeks it took for the white ones to be issued. We live upcountry.

The dealer told us a lot of people keep the red plates until a new plate with their "lucky" numbers is available and in some cases that can take a year.

similar to us in Ubon. drove our new car without a license plate for a month until the white permanent one arrived.

No need to go back, the posting was well understood, the usage of fake red plates would be a minor offence in comparison to the stated maximum prison sentence.

Tabien Rot plates are a government issued security instrument, as are currency, bonds, ID cards, passports, title deeds etc - I'd personally be very concerned if the law didn't provide a decent deterrant against faking these :blink:

There is no doubt, the outlined maximum prison term for such an offence is excessive for a democratic country, in addition, people that wish to use fake number plates would not use red plates since they know that those are targeted by the police.

Moreover, this can not be compared with counterfeit currency, faked passports, or faked sovereign Bonds, those are major offences, and don't forget, "Bond" ... James Bond used faked number plates quite often !!

Edited by personchester

If it was meant to illustrate the point that laws in Thailand are not enforced very thoroughly then it's a bit of a silly example. Laws concerning prostitution are not effectively enforced in lots of countries that have them.

Back on topic, I thought that this law had been in effect for quite some time.

This is not a silly example, but rather an example of commom sense, moreover, we are talking about matters here in Thailand, not about other countries,

Thus for you to mention other countries could be regarded as "off-topic !! ... a matter you appear to be concerned about.

I have been waiting 14 or 15 weeks for my plates and documents I have done over 10000 kilometers so have been quite lucky to escape the net.Apparently my plate and registration book are now in the hands of the dealer and should be with me next Week. Just a note of caution to your motocycling readers around 6 weeks ago as I was finishing dinner a Thai chap asked if that was my bike an the kerb,I thought he wanted to ask about the bike (it is a very pretty V Twin Cruiser) but he was from customs they were looking for proof that duty had been paid on the bike!! I of course did not have any,they were perfectly friendly (he was with 4/5 other guys) but I had to follow them to their offices.<BR><BR>Fortunately the owner of my apartment building is a really nice guy and was there within 15 minutes of my calling him,also luckily I had the mobile number of the Manager of Mityon Pataya where I bought my bike.After talking to the customs men I was told by the manager that there was no problem and he would fax up the relevant documents next Morning.I had to leave my lovely bike,returning with six faxed pages of gobldygook next morning,after around an hour and a half checking every number and comma and numerous calls to the bike shop manager,whatever it was that had been bothering them seemed to be resolved,and it was all smiles and hand shakes,by this time there were around 8 people preoccupied with this including the big Boss!!<BR><BR>I want to get a Thai motorcycle licence (take a test) does anyone know if I am able to do this on a tourist visa? my one year non O has just finished and I will be getting another one but not for a couple of Months.Does anyone know whether immigration will give me the form I need and indeed the traffic people allow me to get a Thai licence on my Tourist Visa or should I just wait until I get my one year Visa?<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>

What do you expect from the Thai authorities really. Not fix the cause of the problem (the dealers) penalise the helpless customer. This is exactly the kind of thing that will continue to keep thailand in the dark ages.

I know it's the dealers fault because I experienced the problem first hand within the last 2 weeks .

I bought (paid CASH) a new car in April (waited a month for it to be delivered).

Was told that red plates would arrive within one month.

They didn't arrive and so in the fifth week I rang the dealer and they told me they would check and hurry it along.

Another two weeks went by so I sent them a facsimile in both Thai and English addressed to the manager and told him I wasn't happy and it was inconvenient for me.

Guess what ? The next day, low and behold, I get a phone call to inform me that my new white plates had arrived.

Come on Thai authorities supprise EVERYONE and fix this problem at it's souce ... the DEALER!!!!!

Edited by barky

We just bought a new car, and hopefully that we will get our regular license plate soon, say, less than a month. This is a good topic to follow up with both the car dealer and the Transportation Dept. to see who's the one

that delays giving out the license plate to the consumers and get the blame for it.

The onus should be totally on the dealer. Whether the purchaser is Thai or not we are all in the hands of the dealer and want our new ride to be within the law of the land. Beggars belief that the powers that be who think up these daft laws cannot see an easy fix to a simple thing like license plates but just look for a money earner, regardless who pays.

+ 1 I was thinking these thoughts when this thread first started. This is just like the don't feed the elephants BS

The major point is being missed here.

The fact is that most Thai's don't want to receive their proper number plates quickly - they want to drive on red plates for as long as possible! The reason's simple - everyone knows that if a car's got red plates then it's a new car and Thais want everyone to see they're driving a brand new car!

Spot on

Yes, that is true, but many Thai's drive their new cars without red plates because they do not want to give the 3K (repayable) deposit for the red plates,

Moreover, they know that cars without initiall number plates are equally known as a new cars.

Thus for the purpose of ownership pride whilst driving red plates are not needed.

My car dealer (K motors) took almost two months. . . and that's with me calling and harassing them every week. I say, we shouldn't fine the driver; we should fine the dealers!

Did they get rid of that crazy no driving at night law or is it still in place? AFAIK, most people (myself included) want to get the white plate ASAP because of being harassed by cops at night. I had been stopped over 20 times in 2 months and ticketed once (no questions asked, he just wrote the ticket).

Unfortunately not, I was fined B500 last week on motorway 7. Like an idiot I gave him my driving licence and he kept it and I had to drive back the next day to this motorway police station in the middle of fields (it is located about 20km away from the airport coming from BKK). I was not a happy to say the least.

This rule regarding night driving is so stupid.

BTY, one of the reason that some people like to keep red plates on their car is that when you resale the car, the new owner becomes the first owner since no name was entered in the owner book. So the value of the car is higher.

Can any one tell me when the car is actually registered is it as i am led to believe when the actual plate is delivered and put on the car and the plate number is recorded in the Cars er um book so to speak.

Apologies for being slightly off topic

My car dealer (K motors) took almost two months. . . and that's with me calling and harassing them every week. I say, we shouldn't fine the driver; we should fine the dealers!

Did they get rid of that crazy no driving at night law or is it still in place? AFAIK, most people (myself included) want to get the white plate ASAP because of being harassed by cops at night. I had been stopped over 20 times in 2 months and ticketed once (no questions asked, he just wrote the ticket).

Unfortunately not, I was fined B500 last week on motorway 7. Like an idiot I gave him my driving licence and he kept it and I had to drive back the next day to this motorway police station in the middle of fields (it is located about 20km away from the airport coming from BKK). I was not a happy to say the least.

BTY, one of the reason that some people like to keep red plates on their car is that when you resale the car, the new owner becomes the first owner since no name was entered in the owner book. So the value of the car is higher.

I agree with the contents of your first "para" i.e. when stopped on a far distant M/way one should try to do a "private" deal with cop in order to drive on freely thereafter with no forced return to the local police station.

The last "para" however is different, of course the avoidance of the first ownership would increase the cars value if put up for sale, but the purchase procedures are such that it is not feasible since, after completing the purchase the papers are sent to the local "admin" and the buyers details are entered on the vehicles official 'data', the booklet is then sent to the showroom together with the white plates in a time span of say 3 wks to 2 mths approx:

The showroom then contacts the buyer and ask to collect, some buyers want to delay this in order to keep the red plates for prestige reason etc, nevertheless, the cars official "doc's" (the booklet) carry the name of the first buyer, no matter how long he/she drives with the red plates, thus re-selling the car without the registration of the first buyer is not possible, unless this takes place before the "reg" papers reach the local admin, i.e. 2 wks approx.

Actually Thais are very proud if they can afford a brand new vehicle and they love to how it keeping their red license plate as long as they possibly can, we know a thai BMW Series 3 owner who accepts to pay 'fines' as long as possible, he doesn't want to change for a white license plate, its over a year now and he still proudly presents his 'brandnew' car

Man someone help me, I got a ticket everytime I drove my new toyoto with the red plates. It took for ever to get the new white ones (at least 2 1/2 months or more) We did a lot of travelling and never stopped before dark. I just can't understand why you cannot drive at night with red plates. My girl friend could not explain it to me and the dealer did not speak english so had a problem. Every policeman I ran into looked at those plates if it was after 6PM and either a bribe or ticket was given. If they change it again how do you get those dealer type to get off their keawsters and get the tags for you. I plan to purchase a new truck soon and will go throught this again.

The reason you can't drive with red plates after dark is as obvious as the nose on your face.......... Can I ask why on earth did you let the dealer away with it?......don't have to be able to speak Thai to go to you local cop station and complain about the dealer who was legally bound to supply the plates within the given period.

You did not explain

I agree with the contents of your first "para" i.e. when stopped on a far distant M/way one should try to do a "private" deal with cop in order to drive on freely thereafter with no forced return to the local police station.

The last "para" however is different, of course the avoidance of the first ownership would increase the cars value if put up for sale, but the purchase procedures are such that it is not feasible since, after completing the purchase the papers are sent to the local "admin" and the buyers details are entered on the vehicles official 'data', the booklet is then sent to the showroom together with the white plates in a time span of say 3 wks to 2 mths approx:

The showroom then contacts the buyer and ask to collect, some buyers want to delay this in order to keep the red plates for prestige reason etc, nevertheless, the cars official "doc's" (the booklet) carry the name of the first buyer, no matter how long he/she drives with the red plates, thus re-selling the car without the registration of the first buyer is not possible, unless this takes place before the "reg" papers reach the local admin, i.e. 2 wks approx.

I don't know how they do it, but a BMW dealer told me that some of his customers are doing it, and I have seen cars in my condo that kept red plates even after several months (I far as I can remember, those where all luxury cars). Also on the Thai BMW website, you can see several second hands with red plates for sale. I just checked now and you have a 2008 525i with 21,500km with red plates for sale.

Have done about 3500 Kms in a new Fortuna Sportivo, still on the red plates and the car is now with us for almost 3 months. My wife says she is sick of talking to the dealers about the white plates, finance is through Toyota. I told her put on the MOHOL face (the one she uses when I have had a few too many, and go round to the dealersship. Maybe that will bring results, she isnt afraid of causing a scene either.

Have done about 3500 Kms in a new Fortuna Sportivo, still on the red plates and the car is now with us for almost 3 months. My wife says she is sick of talking to the dealers about the white plates, finance is through Toyota. I told her put on the MOHOL face (the one she uses when I have had a few too many, and go round to the dealersship. Maybe that will bring results, she isnt afraid of causing a scene either.

Why causing a scene, business should be contacted in a civilised manner, moreover, due to Thai culture, causing a scene gives the addressee the feeling of having 'lost face' which is an important personal aspect here, and is bound to result into negative reactions, hence the reason why after 3 months you are still waiting for your white plates and REG booklet

Solution ... have an appropriate chat with your wife in order to get matters sorted.

The reason you can't drive with red plates after dark is as obvious as the nose on your face..........

You did not explain

Nothing to do with me, but as far as I know the reason is that you can't see the red plates properly at night due to the red background so the vehicle cannot be identified positively if necessary.

Just refuse to accept the car from the dealer until white plates are on it.

The sales person gets penalised for any delay in you taking possession of the car once it's delivered to the dealership so they will have an incentive to get your paperwork done.

There is no doubt, the outlined maximum prison term for such an offence is excessive for a democratic country, in addition, people that wish to use fake number plates would not use red plates since they know that those are targeted by the police.

Moreover, this can not be compared with counterfeit currency, faked passports, or faked sovereign Bonds, those are major offences, and don't forget, "Bond" ... James Bond used faked number plates quite often !!

I think the jailtime for fake red number plates, appeals more for some "HI SO's" who drive their unregistered and untaxed Lambo or Ferrari for years with red plates arround.