El Shadai Orphanage

Lizard2010

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beleive Jermsak is the only tour Guide in Chiang Rai as well as his driver can take you their. :)

Seems a bit odd to me. Is it a secret location or something !? . I don't get it.

I would suspect any visitor would most likely make a donation to a very worthy cause

While not wishing to play down the good work their website states they recieve no government funding and attend a missionary school and have to pay for uniforms.

It is my understanding that orphanages in Thailand, if they meet basic safety coniderations, recieve a very small per child payment.

Education is also available free at Government schools an annual allowance is paid fo each child for uniform.

While not wishing to play down the good work their website states they recieve no government funding and attend a missionary school and have to pay for uniforms.

It is my understanding that orphanages in Thailand, if they meet basic safety coniderations, recieve a very small per child payment.

Education is also available free at Government schools an annual allowance is paid fo each child for uniform.

Perhaps the reason it is unfunded, it may be not registered with the government?

Perhaps the reason it is unfunded, it may be not registered with the government?

And that would be a prime reason for concern.

By the way I do not object to them limiting visitors. Kids are not sideshow freaks.

Edited by harrry

The El Shaddai orphanage in Chiang Rai is under the oversight of Patty Wolfe who is a very nice lady from France, There is also a set of Thai house parents that take care of the kids directly. I have not spoke to Patty in about 5 years, but at that time I could see the kids were well looked after, and they had a nice place to live. I am sure Patty has a foundation under the welfare dept of the Thai Government so everything is legal too.

I haven't been there in a long time, and there might be new arrangements these days.

I just talked to my wife, who has worked in childrens homes for more than 10 years, and she says the government does not buy uniforms, nor is there any sort of per child payment. What does happen occasionally is some books might be donated, or other material items. Perhaps government homes make money per child, but not private ones.

I just talked to my wife, who has worked in childrens homes for more than 10 years, and she says the government does not buy uniforms, nor is there any sort of per child payment. What does happen occasionally is some books might be donated, or other material items. Perhaps government homes make money per child, but not private ones.

The government pays each child in a government school 500 baht per term for uniforms and \fees are free although if an admin fee of 1000baht a term is not paid the kids must clean the claszsrooms etc. My neices receive it.

Some classes of children receive slightly more (disabled is one group).

My undestanding from someone else who runs a similar organisation is that a small payment per child is recieved from the government for food but it is of course nowhere near enough.

It is good you know this organisation and can vouch it is ok but sadly it is the case anyone can set up here and then raise funds overseas without the needs of the kids being the first priority.

Edited by harrry

The government pays each child in a government school 500 baht per term for uniforms and \fees are free although if an admin fee of 1000baht a term is not paid the kids must clean the claszsrooms etc. My neices receive it.

My undestanding from someone else who runs a similar organisation is that a small payment per child is recieved from the government for food but it is of course nowhere near enough.

It is good you know this organisation and can vouch it is ok but sadly it is the case anyone can set up here and then raise funds overseas without the needs of the kids being the first priority.

Every developing country has the same problem.

I think it is fair to say though that most childrens homes are doing what they can to help kids out.

I sent the Charity and email asking for a local contact, because of the very issue you mentioned in your last sentence. I would rather donate direct rather than donate to some mob halfway around the planet and not wondering how much will filter back to the ones who really need it.

before you open your chequebook always to see if all is real .Check these out.

Our Head

The leader of El Shaddai , Patty Wolf has completed the discipleship of youth with a mission and gathered rich experience in their service in the area of church planting , the helping relationship and in different Evanglisationsmethoden in countries such as Borneo , China , Korea , Hong Kong, Japan and Malaysia. For 10 years, Patty , lives in Thailand. About four years she has left the service of the guardianship and direction of the first El Shaddai home on while the adoptive parents in Canada. "My dream is to see a continued multiplication of small homes, "said Patty , " focuses on developing the character and the faith to " Daniel's " train , innocent , integrity women and men who are equipped to shape this nation Positions in government , business and politics.

http://www.efg-voelklingen.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139:von-den-anfaengen&catid=33&Itemid=13

I for one, will not give money to people brainwashing vunerable kids.

Shame on these people.

before you open your chequebook always to see if all is real .Check these out.

Our Head

The leader of El Shaddai , Patty Wolf has completed the discipleship of youth with a mission and gathered rich experience in their service in the area of church planting , the helping relationship and in different Evanglisationsmethoden in countries such as Borneo , China , Korea , Hong Kong, Japan and Malaysia. For 10 years, Patty , lives in Thailand. About four years she has left the service of the guardianship and direction of the first El Shaddai home on while the adoptive parents in Canada. "My dream is to see a continued multiplication of small homes, "said Patty , " focuses on developing the character and the faith to " Daniel's " train , innocent , integrity women and men who are equipped to shape this nation Positions in government , business and politics.

http://www.efg-voelk...id=33&Itemid=13

I for one, will not give money to people brainwashing vulnerable kids.

Shame on these people.

I had the article converted to English.

It was an interesting article.

Now with the help of Tripadvisor visitors is is now a flourishing orphanage.

It is a pity more has not done for other orphanage, but that is just my opinion.

I thought this information needed to be added to the discussion on El Shadai for clarification.

The orphanage referred to on Trip Advisor and visited by some of the forum members is NOT the same orphanage referred to above. It has no connection with Patty Wolfe what so ever. The orphanage was established in 2005 by local Thai couple Khun Surasak and his wife Mon, who have taken into their home sixteen parentless children. They provide the children with an education, health care and a loving family environment without any government or NGO assistance. They are members of their local village church. There is no Western influence in the running of this orphanage at all.

Over the last two years the orphanage has been visited by members of the Chaing Rai Trip Advisor forum – primarily through the local Thai guide Jermsak. Jermsak is one of the supporters of the orphanage. The orphanage has appreciated the visits and gifts from travelers. There are times when no one visits for a month at a time. They are certainly not over whelmed by visitors.

They are very poor and live in a local village in a primitive hut type building. It is not a thriving concern – they are extremely poor. When I visited last they did not even have access to water except through a well almost 100 meters away.

They welcome visitors and anyone can visit them there. It is in no way limited to one guide as stated by the poster above. There is more information on the Chiang Rai Trip Advisor forum if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

I thought this information needed to be added to the discussion on El Shadai for clarification.

The orphanage referred to on Trip Advisor and visited by some of the forum members is NOT the same orphanage referred to above. It has no connection with Patty Wolfe what so ever. The orphanage was established in 2005 by local Thai couple Khun Surasak and his wife Mon, who have taken into their home sixteen parentless children. They provide the children with an education, health care and a loving family environment without any government or NGO assistance. They are members of their local village church. There is no Western influence in the running of this orphanage at all.

Over the last two years the orphanage has been visited by members of the Chaing Rai Trip Advisor forum – primarily through the local Thai guide Jermsak. Jermsak is one of the supporters of the orphanage. The orphanage has appreciated the visits and gifts from travelers. There are times when no one visits for a month at a time. They are certainly not over whelmed by visitors.

They are very poor and live in a local village in a primitive hut type building. It is not a thriving concern – they are extremely poor. When I visited last they did not even have access to water except through a well almost 100 meters away.

They welcome visitors and anyone can visit them there. It is in no way limited to one guide as stated by the poster above. There is more information on the Chiang Rai Trip Advisor forum if anyone is interested.

Fairgo can you PM me the info please. I would like to make my own contribution with my family attending to this hard working couple .

Thanks

Garry

ver the last two years the orphanage has been visited by members of the Chaing Rai Trip Advisor forum – primarily through the local Thai guide Jermsak. Jermsak is one of the supporters of the orphanage. The orphanage has appreciated the visits and gifts from travelers. There are times when no one visits for a month at a time. They are certainly not over whelmed by visitors.

hey are very poor and live in a local village in a primitive hut type building. It is not a thriving concern – they are extremely poor. When I visited last they did not even have access to water except through a well almost 100 meters away.

It was good to read you response.

But you need to read the Tripadvisor Chiang Rai Forum with all the posts.

Over the last 6 to 9 months, this orphanage has flourished, also with financial support.

Building Extensions, concrete floors, cooking utensils, fridge, washing machine. cloths, beds, bikes and the list goes on.

With the exception of the water their pump which broke down.

People still need to be careful because Jermsak is till the only contact. for the El Shadai Orphanage.

Hi Garry,

There isn't really a foundation as such.

It has really just been travelers giving when they visit.

One of the forum members has been generating funds from family and friends to send over - but this is all really small scale stuff.

Here is the link to the page on Trip Advisor about it with more info. All the info is on there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297920-c128675/Chiang-Rai:Thailand:El.Shadai.Orphanage.html

Over and out.......

• Like 1

It was good of you to post this Fairgo, I can see now that there are two orphanages that have the name El Shaddai. Sorry if i confused anyone with my info about the other El Shaddai in Chiang Rai.

Where are the two located. All the web research I have seen indicateds they are one and the same.

Sorry it has been 5 years since I have been there, and the one I went to was right on the edge of town, actually in town. At that time it had been running for more than five years already. The one in the trip advisor article was only started in 2005. So i am assuming there are two, especially since the one I know of was started by westerners, with a Thai couple running it, and the one in the article says it is was started by a Thai couple.

• Like 1

I have read some very interesting comments on the Tripadvisor El Shadai Orphanage Website Remarks.

It seems that one particular person made a statement.

Obviously he did not read all my posts here on this subject here.

It was other people, who were commenting on the religious part.

But it is strange that the same name El Shadai Orphanage has been used.

Maybe they were trying to capitalise in on the good work The leader of El Shaddai , Patty Wolf did?

Maybe he was having a Banana Bender Session. :offtopic:

Edited by Lizard2010

Hi. I'm a TA forum member and now a Thai Visa forum contributor, having stumbled across this thread today. There seems to be some misinformation in the earlier posts. I can speak with some authority - my wife and I contribute money every month and purchased some of the appliances mentioned in an earlier post. We have been to El Shadai Orphanage several times and are returning in April 2011. We have made this commitment on the basis of research we undertook to verify the bona fides of the couple who run the orphanage - Mon and Surasak, and there's never been any suspicion whatsover with regard to their intentions. On the contrary. They are amongst the very few people we have come across who actually live by what most people would call "Christian values". The orphanage started basically by accident. One child needed a home and Mon & Surasak opened theirs. Then there was another child, and another, and another and eventually children were being brought in from outlying villages by concerned villagers who knew the children were in need of care. The villagers knew Surasak & Mon were prepared to take on these poor, unfortunate children, regardless of how many children they already had in their care, so the children just kept on coming. The orphanage is still "hand to mouth". Always running short of basics like rice, tooth paste, soap etc. There are very, very few regular contributors but a lot of "casual" ones who also help put food on the table and a roof over the heads of vulnerable children. My wife and I have spent a great deal of time at the orphanage and have never seen nor heard anything of Patty Wolfe. Perhaps the different spellng of the orphanage name, (El Shaddai with two "d's") is a clue to the confusion and possibly the connections of this particular person? I don't know whether the Government pays money to schools or not but bear in mind these kids don't go to a Government school. They go to a Christian school run by an American mission organisation. So if there is money for school children, they are unlikely to qualify. The suggestion that Surasak and Mon are "brainwashing vulnerable kids" beggars belief. If sending them to a school funded by a religious organisation constitutes brainwashing then millions and millions of Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Hindus - the list goes, are also "brainwashing" their children. If any one wants to help this orphanage, feel free to message me and I will be happy to tell you how to go about it. If you are in Chiang Rai and you want to visit the kids....just ask any cab or tuk tuk driver to take you there.......it's no secret, nor is it the exclusive domain of any one guide.....any guide will take you there. Cheers.

• Like 1

It was good of you to post this Fairgo, I can see now that there are two orphanages that have the name El Shaddai. Sorry if i confused anyone with my info about the other El Shaddai in Chiang Rai.

Where are the two located. All the web research I have seen indicateds they are one and the same.

and mine also.

Why all the secrecy. Where is it? Why can only one tour guide, whom you name as being involved, go there.

Do the orphans have freedom of religion and culture.

Why is the owner of the orphanage taking in children when by their own admission, cannot take care of them.

There is something very dubious about this place and someone's clarification would be most welcome.