El Shadai Orphanage

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beleive Jermsak is the only tour Guide in Chiang Rai as well as his driver can take you their. :)

Seems a bit odd to me. Is it a secret location or something !? . I don't get it.

I would suspect any visitor would most likely make a donation to a very worthy cause

While not wishing to play down the good work their website states they recieve no government funding and attend a missionary school and have to pay for uniforms.

It is my understanding that orphanages in Thailand, if they meet basic safety coniderations, recieve a very small per child payment.

Education is also available free at Government schools an annual allowance is paid fo each child for uniform.

While not wishing to play down the good work their website states they recieve no government funding and attend a missionary school and have to pay for uniforms.

It is my understanding that orphanages in Thailand, if they meet basic safety coniderations, recieve a very small per child payment.

Education is also available free at Government schools an annual allowance is paid fo each child for uniform.

Perhaps the reason it is unfunded, it may be not registered with the government?

Perhaps the reason it is unfunded, it may be not registered with the government?

And that would be a prime reason for concern.

By the way I do not object to them limiting visitors. Kids are not sideshow freaks.

Edited by harrry

The El Shaddai orphanage in Chiang Rai is under the oversight of Patty Wolfe who is a very nice lady from France, There is also a set of Thai house parents that take care of the kids directly. I have not spoke to Patty in about 5 years, but at that time I could see the kids were well looked after, and they had a nice place to live. I am sure Patty has a foundation under the welfare dept of the Thai Government so everything is legal too.

I haven't been there in a long time, and there might be new arrangements these days.

I just talked to my wife, who has worked in childrens homes for more than 10 years, and she says the government does not buy uniforms, nor is there any sort of per child payment. What does happen occasionally is some books might be donated, or other material items. Perhaps government homes make money per child, but not private ones.

I just talked to my wife, who has worked in childrens homes for more than 10 years, and she says the government does not buy uniforms, nor is there any sort of per child payment. What does happen occasionally is some books might be donated, or other material items. Perhaps government homes make money per child, but not private ones.

The government pays each child in a government school 500 baht per term for uniforms and \fees are free although if an admin fee of 1000baht a term is not paid the kids must clean the claszsrooms etc. My neices receive it.

Some classes of children receive slightly more (disabled is one group).

My undestanding from someone else who runs a similar organisation is that a small payment per child is recieved from the government for food but it is of course nowhere near enough.

It is good you know this organisation and can vouch it is ok but sadly it is the case anyone can set up here and then raise funds overseas without the needs of the kids being the first priority.

Edited by harrry

The government pays each child in a government school 500 baht per term for uniforms and \fees are free although if an admin fee of 1000baht a term is not paid the kids must clean the claszsrooms etc. My neices receive it.

Some classes of children receive slightly more (disabled is one group).

My undestanding from someone else who runs a similar organisation is that a small payment per child is recieved from the government for food but it is of course nowhere near enough.

It is good you know this organisation and can vouch it is ok but sadly it is the case anyone can set up here and then raise funds overseas without the needs of the kids being the first priority.

Every developing country has the same problem.

I think it is fair to say though that most childrens homes are doing what they can to help kids out.