New Forum: Thailand And Siam History Photos

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Old pedi-cabs of the late 1950s

Those are still in use around BangPa-In (Ayutthaya province).

I always find it amazing what weird kinds of public transport I see on the roads of Thailand - and every town seems to have a different (and differently outdated) mode of transport, but then there seems to be some kind of monopoly and you don't see any others there. For example, Ayutthaya has the ancient Tuk Tuks (copies of Daihatsu MP4s from the 50ies) and there aren't even regular taxis anywhere in town!

{per request} George, if you would please, design several sub-category headings chronologically dating from 1860 to 1999? I have thousands of images - and it would be easier to follow if they were arranged as such.....by eras. Thanks again.

Wonderful photos Zzaa09.

Thank you for posting them.

I'm particularly interested in any from late 60s to mid 70s, my first tour in Thailand and Laos.

I have some of my own, but they're in albums in Australia.

Edited by Xangsamhua

{per request} George, if you would please, design several sub-category headings chronologically dating from 1860 to 1999? I have thousands of images - and it would be easier to follow if they were arranged as such.....by eras. Thanks again.

We have to be somewhat selective to adding forums/sub-forums as the forum lists are rather long already and then need to anticipate expansion for new forums later. You can create new topics covering eras and then a pinned list indexing them could be created.

• 3 months later...

Your New Forum-Thailand and Siam History Photos post #89 of 2010-07-25 06:57 '1677.jpg'

This is looking west-southwest from the Tha Pae-Chang Klan (night market street) intersection, with Tha Pae Road extending off to the right. This was taken in 1954 by Boonserm Satrabhaya. A traffic light had just been installed --- visible above the boyscout directing traffic. Either the traffic light didn't work or drivers weren't yet familiar with its operation. The building 'Norde Ende' is still there, minus the sign, but the empty lot on the corner is now occupied by a bank. The gabled roof building beyond the Norde Ende (to the west) also still stands: it is identified by Oliver Hargreave in "Exploring Chiang Mai" as a rare example of an old wooden trading house, dating from the late 1800s.

This is the same intersection from which your 1900s-1920s post #6 2010-07-26 08:16, '3-7~0.jpg' and post #42 2010-08-04 18:02, 'chiangmai-cafe-1928.jpg' (same photo) were taken, but it was looking to the northeast in 1928 at yet another still-existing building on the corner which is now a coffee shop. Photo was by Tanaka.

Edited by islandee

• 2 weeks later...

1907 Northern warlord

Your New Forum-Thailand and Siam History Photos Post #57 of 2010-07-25 05:40 'thailand_nortern-war-slaves-1900.jpg'

Some conflict in information: the image is as titled; but the title in the text of the post is '1907 Northern warlord'. Payap Univ sides with the latter, labeling this photo, in translation, as 'Battle dress for a Lanna royal'. See http://lib.payap.ac.th/webin/ntic/the%20past/ceremony/DSC_0017_1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...