Motorcycle Enthusiasts In Chiang Rai

Garry

Please try and be honest and no bogus inputs. This poll is not public  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

I'm just trying to get a feeling for what motorcycles our Chiang Rai Thai Visa patrons ride around The Rai and suburbia.

I just have thoughts that perhaps once in a blue moon, enthusiasts could meet up for a ride and on occasion give patronage to some of the finer known dining establishments around 'The Rai'

Your thoughts and if you feel the polls needs more info, let me know?

Cheers,

Garry :D

Edited by Garry

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why yes !

what could be a better common interest then our motosai -- well maybe ladies!

It might also be interesting to know what models we are riding.

I'm always thrilled when I see the C.R. 50 cc Honda riding club go by, what a great sight!

marcgee

Why yes !

what could be a better common interest then our motosai -- well maybe ladies!

It might also be interesting to know what models we are riding.

I'm always thrilled when I see the C.R. 50 cc Honda riding club go by, what a great sight!

marcgee

I was going to ask that and it ended up being a toss up between that question and the road surface.

You can only ask three questions in a poll. On hindsight I probably could have combined that into one of the questions :)

I/we (the missus) would be up for a ride out as long as it's gonna be a leisurely pace and not a TT race,nice one Gaz good idea.

Hi mate,

I was at the Isle of Man for the Centennial TT in 2007. Stayed for two weeks. Definitely no TT stuff around town and when I'm up for some fun, I'd rather be by myself and set my own pace.:ph34r::P

I just like the idea of having a Meet & Greet once in awhile, so that we can do some bench racing, set the world to rights and the odd bit of BS added :D

I will hold off voting until I get my new bike, that could be one month or one year but I'll be Happy as Larry when I do. We're blessed with fantastic weather and great roads up here in North Thailand, the perfect combination for motorbike touring.

If anyones interested in a new big bike there is a beautiful Kawasaki ER6n 650cc in the bike shop opposite Doi Chaang. I saw it yesterday, first big bike I've seen for sale in CR, it's burnt orange with less than 2000km's and they quoted me 200k baht so maybe they'd accept 190k, the new price is just under 250k so quite a good discount.

I/we (the missus) would be up for a ride out as long as it's gonna be a leisurely pace and not a TT race,nice one Gaz good idea.

Hi mate,

I was at the Isle of Man for the Centennial TT in 2007. Stayed for two weeks. Definitely no TT stuff around town and when I'm up for some fun, I'd rather be by myself and set my own pace.:ph34r::P

I just like the idea of having a Meet & Greet once in awhile, so that we can do some bench racing, set the world to rights and the odd bit of BS added :D

Sounds great ,put my name down.

when I'm up for some fun, I'd rather be by myself and set my own pace.:ph34r::P

In general I would agree with the notion of having more fun, setting ones own pace. Recently, though, I have lucked into a riding partner who is pretty evenly matched for machine and ability. Though still within the limits of safe riding, the slightly elevated level of testosterone in the air, makes riding with a buddy just that little bit quicker and a lot more fun. ;)

I have personally not ridden with more than two others at one time and would probably prefer a smaller group of riders. I would suspect that a largish group ride would need to be quite tame, to be manageable, and would need more structure and planning.

Any ideas for start point, distance, route and time of day?

I'm not a Rai resident, but I will weigh in lightly.

Owned a CBR150 almost 4 yrs now. Had liter bikes in US (in descending order Aprilia RSV-R Factory, GSX-R1000, YZF-R1, CBR1100XX).

Went on a few rides with fellow sport bike riders- 3 to 4 day loop trips to MHS, Nan, etc.

Had a great time and fantastic riding.

I would say the optimal riding group is 2, maybe 3 max. Reason is that everyone rides at a different pace, some want to or need to stop for breaks more than others, and some are seriously challenged by a fast pace, kept up for hours, for the first time.

It is for that reason that I started riding solo a couple of years ago. I occasionally meet other riders I know on the road, and ride for a bit with them.

Northern Thailand has some of the best roads, scenery and sportbike riding in the world.

For those not aware, check out Golden Triangle Riders dot com. Everything you will ever want to know about riding in Thailand (and adjoining nations).

Just take this as a small piece of advice. Groups over 2 or 3, it becomes a race oftentimes, unless it is a group that has ridden together many times before.

If you guys get something organized in the Rai, maybe I'll come up for a little toot- maybe CR to Doi Mae Salong, down the hill, and ?

Oh I've somehow managed to aquire a few useless bikes myself.

Honda Dream 125 (on mud tyres, would you believe) for when its slippy.

Old sytle 'Nouvo' automatic, my work horse, I abuse it.

Wife Has a Honda Wave, which I ride occasionally

A phantom ta200 which is fine, I'll use it for a leasurely trip to town or tour. Its pretty useless off tarmac IMNSHO

and a chinese manufactured Quad. which seems to be classed as a motorcy. all 250 cc of it.

I'd really like to ditch the above and get a Kawasaki D-Tracker and , or KLX 250.

I'd be up for a ride, see who turns up and suck it and see. 3 or 30 shouldn't be a problem the first time

Edited by jubby

I will hold off voting until I get my new bike, that could be one month or one year but I'll be Happy as Larry when I do. We're blessed with fantastic weather and great roads up here in North Thailand, the perfect combination for motorbike touring.

If anyones interested in a new big bike there is a beautiful Kawasaki ER6n 650cc in the bike shop opposite Doi Chaang. I saw it yesterday, first big bike I've seen for sale in CR, it's burnt orange with less than 2000km's and they quoted me 200k baht so maybe they'd accept 190k, the new price is just under 250k so quite a good discount.

have had a kawa er6n in orange from same shop for 6 months 190000 can highly recomend it,comfortable fast,2 problems crappy exaust note and a bit juicy,easily fixed drive slower and ex market exaust

I was just going to say I know of one other Orange er6n from that shop. I suspect I know you Oldrocker ;-)

its the young rockers bike I just keep it going for him while hes in the uk,lifes a bitch!!

Now I'm 100% positive I know you :D

I have been on many trips in the US and a couple here. As long as you pick a destination, a leader (usually the guy with the most experience or local knowledge), agree to communicate any individal chances to the leader, agree to take care of the slower riders, everything usually takes care of it's self. Cell phones has made this even easier. 4-5 riders has never been a problem that I have found. Now if you have 4 big bikes and a 110-125 then that may be an issue.

Oh I've somehow managed to aquire a few useless bikes myself.

Honda Dream 125 (on mud tyres, would you believe) for when its slippy.

Old sytle 'Nouvo' automatic, my work horse, I abuse it.

Wife Has a Honda Wave, which I ride occasionally

A phantom ta200 which is fine, I'll use it for a leasurely trip to town or tour. Its pretty useless off tarmac IMNSHO

and a chinese manufactured Quad. which seems to be classed as a motorcy. all 250 cc of it.

I'd really like to ditch the above and get a Kawasaki D-Tracker and , or KLX 250.

I'd be up for a ride, see who turns up and suck it and see. 3 or 30 shouldn't be a problem the first time

Same here Jubby.

We could get this to work and I feel a meet and greet would be the best first instance and go from there. We can at least get to know each other and see what bikes we have, then plan accordingly. I will be back in the Rai on the 12 August (daughters birthday). That weekend would be good for a meet and greet somewhere convenient for everybody. If yuo see a Ducati turn up with a zimmer bar on teh back, you know it will be me :lol::ph34r:

I'm open to suggestions for a location for our first meet and greet?

Thanks for the input so far guys, :wai:

regards

Garry

when I'm up for some fun, I'd rather be by myself and set my own pace.:ph34r::P

In general I would agree with the notion of having more fun, setting ones own pace. Recently, though, I have lucked into a riding partner who is pretty evenly matched for machine and ability. Though still within the limits of safe riding, the slightly elevated level of testosterone in the air, makes riding with a buddy just that little bit quicker and a lot more fun. ;)

I have personally not ridden with more than two others at one time and would probably prefer a smaller group of riders. I would suspect that a largish group ride would need to be quite tame, to be manageable, and would need more structure and planning.

Any ideas for start point, distance, route and time of day?

Hi VF,

I've alway liked small groups for more spirited rides, but larger groups are a different story as one would appreciate. The main thing as we all know, is that we have to get to know each other and our riding abilities. There is no need to pressure someone into a situation where they think they need to prove themselves and ride outside their comfort zone.

The Meet & Greet will definitely give the attendees a chance to find out about each other before contemplating any serious rides. B)

I'm available anytime that weekend.

for a first meet how about a trip to that National park we mentioned earlier, its not a huge distance, infact nothing at all, but it is quite a windy road which should slow the big bikes down and give us lesser mortals a chance to keep up. Its also , almost impossible to get lost. You have a clear destination , so everyone can make there own pace.

A bigger trip is no probs either.

whats say the others ?

for a first meet how about a trip to that National park we mentioned earlier, its not a huge distance, infact nothing at all, but it is quite a windy road which should slow the big bikes down and give us lesser mortals a chance to keep up. Its also , almost impossible to get lost. You have a clear destination , so everyone can make there own pace.

whats say the others ?

Jubby, we still need a meet up point or do you mean for everyone to make their own way there? It would be preferable to have a meet up point in town somewhere first.

Thoughts? :)

whats say the others ?

Jubby, we still need a meet up point or do you mean for everyone to make their own way there? It would be preferable to have a meet up point in town somewhere first.

Sure, meet in town somewhere first. It was just one suggestion, didn't want to put all the pieces in the Jigsaw without some more input from the others. What about Kd & Woralak, fellow Phantom owners, we could come in at the back behind the scooters where our bikes belong performance wise :whistling:

whats say the others ?

Sure, meet in town somewhere first. It was just one suggestion, didn't want to put all the pieces in the Jigsaw without some more input from the others. What about Kd & Woralak, fellow Phantom owners, we could come in at the back behind the scooters where our bikes belong performance wise :whistling:

Sounds good Jubby, what you going all back of the bus :lol: Give me some room to follow, I don't know where I'm going :D

If I can recall my last trip. Its just follow your nose and watch out for incomming or oncomming traffic on the bends unless you've got your bike blessed by Bhudda ofcourse.

I don't know what happens when two 'blessed by bhudda' vehicles meet but I do suspect its spiritually enlightening B)

If I can recall my last trip. Its just follow your nose and watch out for incomming or oncomming traffic on the bends unless you've got your bike blessed by Bhudda ofcourse.

I don't know what happens when two 'blessed by bhudda' vehicles meet but I do suspect its spiritually enlightening B)

Probably couldn't hurt to have some more 'LUCKY' on the bike. :ermm: Well I do have a 999 and the number plate is 999 as well. I'm double, triple number 3 lucky already..... :jap:

I will try to avoid any spiritual enlightening in your context as much as possible :lol:

I was at a stoplight in town today, next to a BMW 1200. Looked brand new and a number "1" on the plate. Think he was from Bangkok and not here, however. The light changed before we could say much. Smooth, very smooth as he left me drooling and choking on his dust. Not very spiritual but very enlightening. :)

Edited by villagefarang

I was just thinking VF was rather quiet. He should be all over this thread.

Just had another thought Garry, The route is sort of on the Chiang Rai Google Map. just zoom out and follow the river to the left. Theres a 'Motorcycle Bridge' on the map. I think its just past the NP. But I could be wrong. Not sure its passable but if it is, it would make the trip far more interesting. Anyone been over it ?

I was at a stoplight in town today, next to a BMW 1200. Looked brand new and a number "1" on the plate. Think he was from Bangkok and not here, however. The light changed before we could say much. Smooth, very smooth as he left me drooling and chocking on his dust. Not very spiritual but very enlightening. :)

Nice....

Definitely a fan of the BMW GS's and the like. Ducati's new Multistrada with its electronic wizardry, is a shot across the bow of the mighty world conquering BMW GS. I'm sure BMW won't be running scared anytime soon. :)