Motorcycle Enthusiasts In Chiang Rai

Garry

Please try and be honest and no bogus inputs. This poll is not public  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BMW certainly make great bikes Jubby but the perfect bike for North Thailand is a Ducati, check out the link below. And if technical data floats your boat then the technology that this baby comes with is second to none

http://www.gt-rider....rada-t8433.html

Nice, Stu. But maybe too much to go wrong. I'd have severe problems choosing a colour also .

Everyone knows a Ducati should be Knicker Red, but white, or Black, I dont know ...... problems, ...... :rolleyes: problems...

................. How much is it here by the way :whistling:

Nice indeed Jubby and the same guy just got a new KTM too, must be a nice choice to have to make when deciding which one to take out for the day!

Prices in the link below but make sure you're sitting down before you click

http://www.ducatitha...d.com/bikes.php

So I guess we'll both go for the 1200 S. It would be rude not to. What color you want ?

Yeah, I always have a problem deciding which bike to take :D

Aye, 1200s for me too, I'll be placing my order next week, gonna go for the red I reckon. And if I can get a bit of extra work at the jedyod boy-bar between now and then I may well get a 1198 R Corse too, just shy of 3 million baht although I doubt I'll be able to ride either until I've recovered! :unsure:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, 1200s for me too, I'll be placing my order next week, gonna go for the red I reckon. And if I can get a bit of extra work at the jedyod boy-bar between now and then I may well get a 1198 R Corse too, just shy of 3 million baht although I doubt I'll be able to ride either until I've recovered! :unsure:

I know the BMW has pegs so you can stand up for a while but not sure about the Ducati. :)

Was that one motorcy at 3 million baht ?

I know the BMW has pegs so you can stand up for a while but not sure about the Ducati. :)

1198R Corse..if only I had the money jubby. Pure race bike, made legal (just) for the street.

3_1198R_Corse_SE.jpg

1198R Corse..if only I had the money jubby. Pure race bike, made legal (just) for the street.

3_1198R_Corse_SE.jpg

3 million and get yourself a bad Back B)

Well, the weather was great for a ride today. Thankyou Wunderground Weather for being totally wrong for a change

I took the 118 to Mae Suai. The bike was really loving the hills and the odd set of twisty's. I dropped 2 psi in the front and rear tyres and the Supercorsa Pro's did a complete about face and started to stick well. No knee scraping on the street for me, but a Ducati can lean a long way believe me. No bulky inline 4 cases to get in the way of having some fun.

Had one idiot who tried to see if he could get away from me in a Triton pickup. A couple of times the person was pushing too hard through the corners (cutting apex's on the wrong side of the road etc), where I was yawning through and still on the correct side of the road. This made me decide to back off and let him have his fun with no pressure. Well low and behold the prick slows down after a couple of bends and waits for me (I assumed). So screw this, I decided to best not muck about and get past this numbty asap. I waited for one corner where he gave me room and I passed him in a heartbeat and smoked him from there. I never saw the car again. Hopefully the person driving got home okay and in one peace...dumbarse

Weather prevailing, I'll be off the VF's place to say g'day and go for a spin. Hopefully his mutts won't decide to have a taste test on one of my legs when I turn up. :lol:

3_1198R_Corse_SE.jpg

3 million and get yourself a bad Back B)

Only if you're a dwarf with bad posture :o :jap: :lol:

Has anyone been up the 109? Looks like it has a huge amount of twisty's going up the range. Is it a good road surface for a sportsbike?

I think I did it a few years ago. I wouldnt particularly recommend it for a sportsBike, but maybe its improved or maybe I got the wrong road.

Has anyone been up the 109? Looks like it has a huge amount of twisty's going up the range. Is it a good road surface for a sportsbike?

Last visit to CR (Dec 09), I rode the 109 coming from near Fang down to Mae Suai. It is an extremely tight and technical road with a very bumpy surface.

Also be advised that on the west portion down near the 107 it is being resurfaced in several places; hard packed dirt that has been oiled.

Don't know if that has been completed at this time.

Having said that, it is a magnificent road with very little traffic, just the occasional local in an overloaded pickup.

A large sportbike might be a bit of a handful- I was on my pocket rocket:

post-23786-073409800 1282627933_thumb.jp

:lol:

Weather prevailing, I'll be off the VF's place to say g'day and go for a spin. Hopefully his mutts won't decide to have a taste test on one of my legs when I turn up. :lol:

Ménage à trois of sorts this morning, with a Ducati 999 sandwiched between two 650 Ninjas. Spent more time talking over coffee than actually riding but it was a great ride and a great morning.

The sultry sound and red color seemed to put my dogs off their morning snack, so Garry came through unscathed. ;)

Ménage à trois of sorts this morning, with a Ducati 999 sandwiched between two 650 Ninjas. Spent more time talking over coffee than actually riding but it was a great ride and a great morning.

The sultry sound and red color seemed to put my dogs off their morning snack, so Garry came through unscathed. ;)

Hi VF and thanks for the invite, it was a good day and I really appreciated it. The weather stood up really well and I got to ride on some really nice roads and drink some good coffee at Doi Chaang and Wawwee, all with fellow riders who were knowledgeable of the area. I might add to one and all that there is no such thing as a Ducati in stealth mode. :ph34r:

Last visit to CR (Dec 09), I rode the 109 coming from near Fang down to Mae Suai. It is an extremely tight and technical road with a very bumpy surface.

Also be advised that on the west portion down near the 107 it is being resurfaced in several places; hard packed dirt that has been oiled.

Don't know if that has been completed at this time.

Having said that, it is a magnificent road with very little traffic, just the occasional local in an overloaded pickup.

A large sportbike might be a bit of a handful- I was on my pocket rocket:

post-23786-073409800 1282627933_thumb.jp

:lol:

I've heard today that it may not be advisable either. Will mull it over until I return home again from overseas.

Nowadays I once in a while sit on the Yamaha Fresh of my wife, but mostly not longer

than it takes to go to the local shop, which is about 1000 meters from my front door.

Long, long time ago, let's say about five or six years after the famous

movie with Peter Fonda hit the screens I was driving around on what

was going to be my last motorcycle.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-038882000 1282708432_thumb.jpg

The main part of it was Triumph Bonneville and it was brotherly united with

among others an HD rear wheel.

Please share with us some pictures of your first bikes. Would be interesting

to see what you were riding before you turned into over-aged Fonda wanna-bees.

Take it easy lads!

Limbo :yohan:

PS: German Karl, who got a dog inbetween his spokes, can speak again and

also type on his keyboard. I don't know if he is walking around again.

Nowadays I once in a while sit on the Yamaha Fresh of my wife, but mostly not longer

than it takes to go to the local shop, which is about 1000 meters from my front door.

Long, long time ago, let's say about five or six years after the famous

movie with Peter Fonda hit the screens I was driving around on what

was going to be my last motorcycle.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-038882000 1282708432_thumb.jpg

The main part of it was Triumph Bonneville and it was brotherly united with

among others an HD rear wheel.

Please share with us some pictures of your first bikes. Would be interesting

to see what you were riding before you turned into over-aged Fonda wanna-bees.

Take it easy lads!

Limbo :yohan:

PS: German Karl, who got a dog inbetween his spokes, can speak again and

also type on his keyboard. I don't know if he is walking around again.

The first bike I actually owned was a 1968 Honda CB 350. Road the wheels off it for 4 years.

My favorite bike was an Honda VFR750 Interceptor. Wonderful torque curve and a pleasure to ride.

post-72121-011829100 1282722539_thumb.jp

post-72121-057502300 1282722894_thumb.jp

The first bike I actually owned was a 1968 Honda CB 350. Road the wheels off it for 4 years.

My favorite bike was an Honda VFR750 Interceptor. Wonderful torque curve and a pleasure to ride.

Actually scorpio, I don't think you are qualified to answer. You are surely not an "over-aged Fonda wanna-bee". ;)

My first bike was a Nouvo which my wife rides now. Then a Phantom which I sold, before getting my present ride. :) Guess I'm not qualified, either. ;)

Well I'm not a 'big' bike owner yet and only 35 so I don't consider myself to be an 'old-aged Fonda wanna-bee' either but thought I'd answer anyway, it's been a while since I dribbled.

First bike was a Suzuki Shogun followed by a Honda Air-Blade and currently a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. My next bike will be a Kawasaki KLX250 and then a Versys and when I'm done with that I might be an 'old-aged Fonda wanna-be' whizzing around on one of these beauties...

Actually scorpio, I don't think you are qualified to answer. You are surely not an "over-aged Fonda wanna-bee". ;)

My first bike was a Nouvo which my wife rides now. Then a Phantom which I sold, before getting my present ride. :) Guess I'm not qualified, either. ;)

Guess I liberally interepeted the invitation.....and needed to dribble. Never had the urge to ride a macho hog that was practically un-rideable. I always looked for the twistys. If your frist bike was a Nouvo then you are a real newbie. Definately unqualified.:lol:

My first bike was a new BMW 650GS from 2000 and I was more then 50 years old. Started late. My second bike was a Yamaha XJ650 from the early 80´s and I bought it here in CR for 16000 baht with plates and book. I still have it but it is not running for the moment.

My next bike will be something 250cc to 400cc if not someone sell me a BMW650 for a rediculus low price!

B):rolleyes:B)

Guess I liberally interepeted the invitation.....and needed to dribble. Never had the urge to ride a macho hog that was practically un-rideable. I always looked for the twistys. If your frist bike was a Nouvo then you are a real newbie. Definately unqualified.:lol:

The sports bikes that got me into riding:

My first bike Honda CB100 (1979): too me this bad boy was a sports bike (mine was red)...hey I was 19 :lol:

1025618_090825213500_honda_cb_100.jpg

Honda CB750 (1980)...no baffles, absolute amazing sound for a SOHC engine

1970_Honda_CB_750.jpg

Kawasaki GPZ1000RX (plenty of speed, handled like sh&t)

Kawasaki%20GPZ1000RX%2086.jpg

Suzuki GSX1100 Katana (never had the bike itself but modified the engine from one into a custom dragbike chassis, slung on a turbocharger and did a best on the 1/4 mile of 8.16 @ 166.6 mph

suzuki-gsx1100-katana-1986.gif

Honda CB1100F (beautiful bike, excellent in the wet)

Honda%20CB1100F%2083.jpg

Yamah YZF-R1 2004 model (awesome bike, I still miss it)

maisto-1-12-yamaha-yzf-r1-2004.jpg

Ducati 999S 2004 model..what can I say, it's a love affair

Edited by Garry

We had two guys for the M&G at Rico's this evening. We were a little late because of the floods. Had a great time, though, and elected each other to all kinds of important titles. The meal was good and the company was good. Two of the nicest guys I have ever known.

We had two guys for the M&G at Rico's this evening. We were a little late because of the floods. Had a great time, though, and elected each other to all kinds of important titles. The meal was good and the company was good. Two of the nicest guys I have ever known.

Apologies for the no-show today KD. I was sidetracked shopping with the family and dodging the downpour. No pun intended but a raincheck for next time I'm back in town. Two nights and one day left which belongs to the family.

Cheers,

Garry

First bike: 1967 Hodaka Ace 100. Looked like this:

post-23786-076675400 1282747230_thumb.jp

Last bike (in US) was an 2004 Aprilia RSV-R Factory, looked like this:

post-23786-001629700 1282747397_thumb.jp

In the intervening 4 decades, give or take a few years, I've owned and ridden pretty much every brand, type and style of motorcycle. Owned about 20 give or take a few, mostly sportbikes.

Had a KTM 125cc ISDT model that I bought new at the factory in Mattighofen, Austria....and rode solo to Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1971. Toured all over Spain, France and Italy on Beemers (R1100S and others). Ridden pretty much every sportbike road in California.

Now it's a Wave 100 and a CBR 150, which are well suited for me to the city, and back country roads here in LOS, respectively.

Love to get together with you guys sometime for a M&G, or a little toot up the road, whatever.

Keep the shiny side up....:D

Good morning everyone,

Well I am off to the Middle East today. Thanks to everyone for making the time to show up for some of the various meet & greets. Apologies for my not going to all of them and I will catch up with those I missed this time around. I may be back as early as a months time, still uncertain at this stage. Depends on old work and new work prospects.

Take care all, stay safe on the roads and keep the sticky, rubber side down.

Cheers Garry

I would definately avoid that road Garry until well into the cool season. There will most likely have been a few landslides over the last couple of Days.

As for the Thoeng to Chiang Khong road, I use it every week, its a pain on a bike but OK in a pickup. There is an alternative route past Vf's place which I've heard has a good new Tramac surface. Good roads, bad road, the Rain season tends to turn them all bad. When they finally get the road completed it'll probably last 6 months before its a mess again.

I was comming back from Mai sai, via Chiang Khong yesterday, a couple of detours to avoid the road works which dont ever look like being completed , several or should I say, many landsides, mud on the road, new Pot holes which have appeared as if by magic. OK, it was a bad day everywhere, but seeing all the water lying on the road really showed how bad the roads up here are.

I also took a detour to look at a friends KLX250 and thats the Bike I intend to purchase in the next couple of months.

You sports Bike riders are wellcome to 'em. Its almost Bike abuse in my Book :)

Oh, Garrys leaving, see you next time ;)

Edited by jubby