Motorcycle Enthusiasts In Chiang Rai

Garry

Please try and be honest and no bogus inputs. This poll is not public  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you have a route number for the alternative road to CK please?

I assume Jubby is talking about 1174, which is the old rode to Chiang Khong. It extends through Phaya Mengrai and all the way over to the 1020 near Plong. It used to be in pretty bad nick from Phaya Mengrai to Chiang Khong, so haven't been on it for awhile. I hear it is better these days.

I also assume you can cut across on the 1098 which connects to the 1173, a nice road which can be followed into town through Wiang Chai. Alternatively the two river roads can be accessed from the 1173 as well for a scenic change of pace. Lots of options out there. Get a map and explore. :)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was comming back from Mai sai, via Chiang Khong yesterday, a couple of detours to avoid the road works which dont ever look like being completed , several or should I say, many landsides, mud on the road, new Pot holes which have appeared as if by magic. OK, it was a bad day everywhere, but seeing all the water lying on the road really showed how bad the roads up here are.

I must say that I think the roads are good up here most of the time, that is compared to where I come from. A few roads are constant in a bad shape but others can be very good for long time.

When I came here almost 9 years ago they were rebuilding the road 1173 almost from town, passing Wiang Chai and Wiang Chai Rung going to Mai Bong. 8 years ago it was finished and I have been on that road going to Waterford Golfclub almost every week since then and I have never found one pothole on this road.

That shows that they can build good roads here in Thailand if the money is spent in the right way and we all know what I mean with that.

:):blink::huh:

I was comming back from Mai sai, via Chiang Khong yesterday, a couple of detours to avoid the road works which dont ever look like being completed , several or should I say, many landsides, mud on the road, new Pot holes which have appeared as if by magic. OK, it was a bad day everywhere, but seeing all the water lying on the road really showed how bad the roads up here are.

I must say that I think the roads are good up here most of the time, that is compared to where I come from. A few roads are constant in a bad shape but others can be very good for long time.

When I came here almost 9 years ago they were rebuilding the road 1173 almost from town, passing Wiang Chai and Wiang Chai Rung going to Mai Bong. 8 years ago it was finished and I have been on that road going to Waterford Golfclub almost every week since then and I have never found one pothole on this road.

That shows that they can build good roads here in Thailand if the money is spent in the right way and we all know what I mean with that.

:):blink::huh:

Yeah, we all know what you mean Sven. I do suspect thats one of the main problems.

I guess its all relative and I guess you dont come from Stockholm ;)

So you decided on the KLX then Jubby? Did your mate let you have a go on it or did you decide just from trying it out for size, looks etc? I'd like to get mine in time for the cool, dry season too, fingers crossed.

Seems the tweaks to the 2010 model have made it even better.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki/2010-kawasaki-klx250s-ar48888.html

So you decided on the KLX then Jubby? Did your mate let you have a go on it or did you decide just from trying it out for size, looks etc? I'd like to get mine in time for the cool, dry season too, fingers crossed.

I was offered a ride but was too 'punch drunk' from my Journey . I tried it for size and sat and looked at it for a while over a bottle of chang. Its a lot of bike for the price stu. It did feel too big, but my feet eventually settled flat on the ground, my balls were around my kneck at that stage, but my feet were on the floor nevertheless . :)

I will have a little ride off and on-road next time I'm up there but I'm pretty convinced its the Bike for me.

As for Looks, If they did a black one I'd go for that but its really not important.

I can go to the farm on it, which is not always possible this time of year, hose it down and take a trip to chiang rai or whereever. Its a no brainer for me, same as having a Pickup is a neccesity out here in the sticks. I'd like a Honda Civic or something but its far too impractical.

Just got to sort out my mishmash of Junk first, probably be october me thinks B)

How about you ?. made up your mind. ?

I was offered a ride but was too 'punch drunk' from my Journey . I tried it for size and sat and looked at it for a while over a bottle of chang. Its a lot of bike for the price stu. It did feel too big, but my feet eventually settled flat on the ground, my balls were around my kneck at that stage, but my feet were on the floor nevertheless . :)

I will have a little ride off and on-road next time I'm up there but I'm pretty convinced its the Bike for me.

As for Looks, If they did a black one I'd go for that but its really not important.

I can go to the farm on it, which is not always possible this time of year, hose it down and take a trip to chiang rai or whereever. Its a no brainer for me, same as having a Pickup is a neccesity out here in the sticks. I'd like a Honda Civic or something but its far too impractical.

Just got to sort out my mishmash of Junk first, probably be october me thinks B)

How about you ?. made up your mind. ?

Good choice, it definitely is a lot of bike for your $$$ and a great bike for these parts. You can get a black kit for 3500 baht I think although I really like the Kawasaki green it comes in here.

I'm gonna go for the KLX too, possibly October but not 100% sure yet. The extra 1inch over the D-Tracker is a bonus for a lanky lad like me and the rear suspension is also higher spec. I will change the tyres to the Dunlop D604's which are 80/20 on/off-road which is pretty much about what I'd be using it for.

The 'happy day' thread will be revived the day I get back from CM with it that's for sure!

Does anyone know what king of bike Dennis? was riding to Mae Chan the other day. Could put my feet on the ground, so I may want to take a look.:whistling:

Garry have a good one. See you on the flip side.

Dennis was riding a Honda Degree (250cc), so was Stig and so was I. But the one I borrowed for the trip has a special long fork so much higher than Dennis bike.

Good bikes all of them, just the right bike for northern Thailand.

ST might have one for sale, they normally goes for 100 - 125 kbaht (with legal plates and book).

:)B):)

Does anyone know what king of bike Dennis? was riding to Mae Chan the other day. Could put my feet on the ground, so I may want to take a look.:whistling:

Hi Scorpio

Concur with Sven's reply and have to say the Honda Degree is the most fun for the money item I have purchased in Thailand to date. Although after seeing Dave's BMW on the Sunday ride I am keeping my eye out for a BMW 650GS to add to the toy collection.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Scorpio

Concur with Sven's reply and have to say the Honda Degree is the most fun for the money item I have purchased in Thailand to date. Although after seeing Dave's BMW on the Sunday ride I am keeping my eye out for a BMW 650GS to add to the toy collection.

Cheers

Dennis

I've hired the degree and xr250 and they are both fun bikes but for the same price as a 8-10yr old ex-hire bike with many km's on the clock you can get a nearly new KLX250 with low km and for just another 25k baht a brand, spanking new one with 2yr warranty. Worth considering if anyones looking.

Hi Scorpio

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis maybe what you should have said is that its the best fun you can have with your clothes on for the money :licklips: although i have seen you have lots of fun for a lot less money, OK it may involve the odd Tequila or two but fun non the less.

Jubby i have a KLX, if you fancy a blast to see what you get for the money you are welcome.

Hi Scorpio

Cheers

Dennis

I've hired the degree and xr250 and they are both fun bikes but for the same price as a 8-10yr old ex-hire bike with many km's on the clock you can get a nearly new KLX250 with low km and for just another 25k baht a brand, spanking new one with 2yr warranty. Worth considering if anyones looking.

I hear you Stu and I looked at the K but did not hear good things about performance so I opted for the rebuilt Degree imported from Japan with a one year warranty from the local shop in CR. JMHO

Hi Scorpio

Cheers

Dennis

Where would I find a new one? Price? Thanks!

Hi Scorpio

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis maybe what you should have said is that its the best fun you can have with your clothes on for the money :licklips: although i have seen you have lots of fun for a lot less money, OK it may involve the odd Tequila or two but fun non the less.

Jubby i have a KLX, if you fancy a blast to see what you get for the money you are welcome.

BSACBOB

Surely you must have me confused with another Dennis.

BTW. I dont think you can go wrong with either the KLX or the Degree. Both are fun bikes. Part of my decision was based on having done business with ST motorcycles for years. Reliable local shop in CR. If anyone wants to take a blast on the Degree let me know.

For what it is worth, the more I ride my Ninja the more I love it. It is a great bike for riding around the North of Thailand. No complaints at all, so far. :)

I still like the Ninja's a lot VF. I have half a mind to buy one so that I don't have to keep putting so much wear and tear on the Ducati :D

For what it is worth, the more I ride my Ninja the more I love it. It is a great bike for riding around the North of Thailand. No complaints at all, so far. :)

I still like the Ninja's a lot VF. I have half a mind to buy one so that I don't have to keep putting so much wear and tear on the Ducati :D

Maybe slightly off topic but for those looking for a good all rounder you wouldn't go far wrong with this little gem for sale on TV classifieds in CM, they are pretty much bullet proof and spares can be had in CM at Dang Motorcycles.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/honda-ax1-250cc-30hp-bestcondition-65134.html

Edited by bsacbob

Maybe slightly off topic but for those looking for a good all rounder you wouldn't go far wrong with this little gem for sale on TV classifieds in CM, they are pretty much bullet proof and spares can be had in CM at Dang Motorcycles.

http://classifieds.t...tion-65134.html

Link doesn't work...

Oooops....

pagenotfound.jpg

Link doesn't work...

Oooops....

pagenotfound.jpg

Yep i know Garry but its still there, but i am having a little trouble posting the correct link :jap:

Honda ax1, 250cc, 30hp, best condition

Edited by bsacbob

Link doesn't work...

Oooops....

pagenotfound.jpg

Yep i know Garry but its still there, but i am having a little trouble posting the correct link :jap:

It's decided to work now, must have been a forum glitch..nice bike

If you ever see one for sale, let me know so I can test drive as well

Hi Scorpio

Cheers

Dennis

Can be found at the big Kawasaki dealership in Chiang Mai, here's a link to Kawasaki's current line-up, I think the space at the bottom right will soon be filled by a Versys which would be a great bike for up here. Both the D-Tracker & KLX are 152,500 baht which currently inludes registration & 3rd party compulsory insurance. There are quite a few used ones for around 100k - 120k with low km's and usually only 1-2 years old, dtrackerthailand.com is a good place to look and there's even a very nice one on gt-rider at the moment for 130k with lots of upgrades.

The poor performance that dman mentioned is probably due to it being restricted in gears 4-6 so that it meets Thailand emissions standards (pretty hypocritical when you consider what it's like here from Feb-Apr and nothing is done about it!) but it can be de-restricted yourself (or for 2000baht if you'd rather someone do it for you) or you can get the performance ecu for 8000baht from kawasaki. When you consider the 2yr warranty it comes with together with the cheap service and parts down in CM it's definitely worth thinking about.

http://kawasakibigbike.com/productlineup_09.html

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/for-sale-d-tracker-16-sept-2009-130-000-o-n-o-t8466.html

Can be found at the big Kawasaki dealership in Chiang Mai, here's a link to Kawasaki's current line-up, I think the space at the bottom right will soon be filled by a Versys which would be a great bike for up here. Both the D-Tracker & KLX are 152,500 baht which currently inludes registration & 3rd party compulsory insurance. There are quite a few used ones for around 100k - 120k with low km's and usually only 1-2 years old, dtrackerthailand.com is a good place to look and there's even a very nice one on gt-rider at the moment for 130k with lots of upgrades.

The poor performance that dman mentioned is probably due to it being restricted in gears 4-6 so that it meets Thailand emissions standards (pretty hypocritical when you consider what it's like here from Feb-Apr and nothing is done about it!) but it can be de-restricted yourself (or for 2000baht if you'd rather someone do it for you) or you can get the performance ecu for 8000baht from kawasaki. When you consider the 2yr warranty it comes with together with the cheap service and parts down in CM it's definitely worth thinking about.

http://kawasakibigbi...tlineup_09.html

http://www.gt-rider....-n-o-t8466.html

Thanks. After seeing the Ninga250 it looks mighty tempting also for my wieght and age. I have not riden a dirt bike since I raced back in "78 (and broke my collar bone). What is the difference between the D-Tracker and the KLX.?

Never ridden a Ninja250 but it looks great and has great reviews, I've seen a couple on classifieds too for a very reasonable price. The D-Tracker and KLX are very similar bikes but the D-Tracker is a supermoto and KLX is dual-sport. They have the same FI engine but the D-Tracker is more street-orientated and as such has smaller wheels with street tyres, a 1inch lower seat and slightly different gearing.

All the best with whichever one you go for, Kawasaki have made owning a decent bike here much easier (and cheaper) since they started production 2yrs ago.

Never ridden a Ninja250 but it looks great and has great reviews, I've seen a couple on classifieds too for a very reasonable price. The D-Tracker and KLX are very similar bikes but the D-Tracker is a supermoto and KLX is dual-sport. They have the same FI engine but the D-Tracker is more street-orientated and as such has smaller wheels with street tyres, a 1inch lower seat and slightly different gearing.

All the best with whichever one you go for, Kawasaki have made owning a decent bike here much easier (and cheaper) since they started production 2yrs ago.

I have a KLX as i mentioned before and go out on a regular ride with a mate who has a D-Tracker, we both have the same mods, ECU, air filter, snorkel and pipes, straight line speeds are about the same topping out at 145 kmh, but he gets me in the bends with his Pirellis but then again there is not much in it. Bang for buck the KLX wins for me, with the right mods it has enough power and it will go almost anywhere, even with the stock tyres and still have fun on the twisty bits although my knee down days are long past but the bike does put a smile on your face. :D for not a lot of money.

I have a KLX as i mentioned before and go out on a regular ride with a mate who has a D-Tracker, we both have the same mods, ECU, air filter, snorkel and pipes, straight line speeds are about the same topping out at 145 kmh, but he gets me in the bends with his Pirellis but then again there is not much in it. Bang for buck the KLX wins for me, with the right mods it has enough power and it will go almost anywhere, even with the stock tyres and still have fun on the twisty bits although my knee down days are long past but the bike does put a smile on your face. :D for not a lot of money.

Have you noticed if there's a noticeable difference in fuel consumption between the two? I'd expect the KLX to be slightly worse as it has different gearing and knobblies but I read a comparison recently where the KLX averaged 25 km's per litre while the D-Tracker got 37 km's per litre on the same trip, if correct that's a huge difference considering they are essentially the same bike.