Thai Silk In Chiang Mai

jackr

The Night Bazaar would be my first thought although I'd be suspicious of the quality and the tourist rip-offs. Shinawatra Silk is obviously going to be really expensive. Heard there is a store called Huan fai dai ngam out on San Kampeng, but anyone know of any others?

Cheers

Heard from some Thai friends that lately prices at Shinawatra (out in Sankamphaeng) quite reasonable. Worth trying as quality is good. Also when out there worth looking at Piankusol and Jolie Femme.

The only place I would recommend in town would be Tapae Rd Soi 3 (half way down soi past Tapae Place).

Last time I went had quite a good range. Quality good and prices reasonable.

The Shinawatra shop on Huay kaew is closer to you mate and sometimes has good sales. Otherwise try and find one of the local OTOP co-ops that put out some good stuff at reasonable prices.

OTOP ENGRISH

Two things to consider when buying that I know of.

1)Quality of dye

2)Is the silk mixed with polyester.

The only way that I know to test if it has silk/poly mix is to burn a little bit of it.If it looks like melting like plastic...then it's <deleted>! :o

Hang Dong/Ban Twai is an option as well, but send the missus in with a furious look on her face demanding a Thai Price for your good self.Worked for me. :D

Edited by chuchok

Thanks guys. Yeah I heard they cut it with cheaper materials or will often substitute for cheaper Chinese silk, so not being an expert I'd rather go to the established places and have more of a chance of getting the real thing. :o

Unfortunately the missus is too polite outside the home ole mate. I'm the only one who gets to see her furious side. :D:D

Thanks guys. Yeah I heard they cut it with cheaper materials or will often substitute for cheaper Chinese silk, so not being an expert I'd rather go to the established places and have more of a chance of getting the real thing. :o

Unfortunately the missus is too polite outside the home ole mate. I'm the only one who gets to see her furious side. :D  :D

i have exported silk products to the uk with these guys, they do retail and wholesale, found them useful, knowlegable and friendly, maybe worth a go?

http://www.interexportservices.com