Lucky Escape As Lift Plunges 10 Floors At Pattaya Hotel

Rimmer

Many lifts in thailand have no sign of documentation showing they have been maintained and some of them judder and make strange noises so Im surprised this doesnt happen more often

Edited by rafval

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

elevators are equipped with a mechanical spring brake independent of power. The weight of the elevator against the cables that hold the elevator keep the brake in the off position. if the cable breaks, the tension is relieved and the break snaps into the one position. Unless the "unknown power failure" suspended the laws of physics, something else caused this.

i have heard of accidents like this and they have always been from novices putting in their own elevators instead of having a professional modern lift installed.

Which Hotel was it? There is no Welcome Plaza Jomtien in Pattaya.

There is Welcome Plaza in Pattaya and a Welcome Jomtien Beach Hotel in Jomtien.

In the WPH in Pattaya it's absolutely impossible to get 16 people in one elevator!!

"Pattaya, the 24th of July 2010: At approximately 6:30pm on Saturday, Lieutenant Colonel Klitsakorn Thongin (Pattaya Police Deputy Superintendent) was notified of a lift accident at the Welcome Jomtien Hotel on Jomtien Beach Road".

In 1853, American inventor Elisha Otis demonstrated a freight elevator equipped with a safety device to prevent falling in case a supporting cable should break.

elevator1.jpg

Over 150 years and Thailand is still catching up.

Not totally true I know, but this sort of thing only happens in Hollywood movies and third world countries.

I think the accident happened with the engine, so the elevator did not fall very quickly - stopping ropes. due to the fact that the fall was slow - special devices (traps elevator cabs) have not worked

who know about nation passanger?

russian or australian ? not?

I thought 10 person was the maximum in a lift?

Have you seen the size of some of these Pattaya tourists? That lift could well have been carrying 4800lbs or 2177 kilos or 2.177 tonnes.

Here are the workings:

Arithmetic mean average weight of Pattaya tourist: 300 lbs

Number of Pattaya tourists in lift come Disneyland ride: 16

16# x 300lbs = 4800 lbs

1 kg = 2.20462248 lbs

4800/2.20 = 2177 kgs.

1 tonne = 1000 kgs.

2177/1000 = 2.177 tonnes.

Injured appear to be Thai nationals, lift instructions in English or Chinese 10 inturpreted as minimum not maximum?.

Well that throws my theory out the window then.

Although there are a lot burger joints in that town. Obesity on the rise?

Looking at the pic's in the PDN article they look Thai and all seem to be wearing the same grey tee shirts with "Sales Team Member" on the back.

Counterfeit substandard spare parts used in maintenance of lift?

also very possible

If they ever (I hope not) do get a nuclear reactor here I shall move as far away as possible if there is a single Thai involved in there for anything else but sweeping the floor on the OUTSIDE

Hey OI how much is that valve ?? ... oh 1 million baht .... awww .. I can get one from my mate for 5,000 baht and we can pocket the difference .... yea great ...

I Aggree with you 100% If Montgomery Burns does go ahead with this deal i would suggest he would be better off keeping on some staff Like Lenny and even keeping Homer in the safety control room in sector 7G because i would fear for the surrounding nations as well if it were to be maintained by PANUS Truck Workshop !

ROFLMAO, Thai Visa my source of daily belly laughs !

Not totally true I know, but this sort of thing only happens in Hollywood movies and third world countries.

Really? Of course these are not all due to elevator falls but shows that safety problems are not just Thai issues.

Incidents involving elevators and escalators kill about 30 and seriously injure about 17,000 people each year in the United States, according to data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Elevators cause almost 90% of the deaths and 60% of serious injuries. Injuries to people working on or near elevators – including those installing, repairing, and maintaining elevators, and working in or near elevator shafts – account for 14 (almost half) of the annual deaths. Half of the deaths of workers working in or near elevator shafts were due to falls into the shaft. Incidents where workers were caught in/between moving parts of elevators and escalators, are in or on elevators or platforms that collapse, or are struck by elevators or counterweights are also numerous.

Source: nIOSCH

What if you were on an elevator and the cable broke?

How to survive an elevator freefall video ;)

Looking at the pic's in the PDN article they look Thai and all seem to be wearing the same grey tee shirts with "Sales Team Member" on the back.

thanks

Edited by crazyawm

I can't find anything about this on any other news site which seems a bit odd for such as high level accident.

Maybe somebody is inventing news to draw readers to their site.

Edited by Xircal

Ive just re read it, 16 people ? overloaded for sure, but, still shouldnt have happened, that royal plaza is the oldest of the 3 and is/was a sh1thole, ill bet its more likely the lift collapsed,another reason to step up my fitness program, ill be taking the stairs from now on, :(

My hat is off to you 18 flights of stairs WOW

The lift doesnt care how many people you cram into it, as long as you don't go over weight. Many lifts have weight capabilities of 800 odd kg. 16 x 50kg thai people only comes in @ 800kg.....different story if you had 16 Sumo wrestlers inside.

elevators are equipped with a mechanical spring brake independent of power. The weight of the elevator against the cables that hold the elevator keep the brake in the off position. if the cable breaks, the tension is relieved and the break snaps into the one position. Unless the "unknown power failure" suspended the laws of physics, something else caused this.

i have heard of accidents like this and they have always been from novices putting in their own elevators instead of having a professional modern lift installed.

No doubt about substandard installation and maintenance [is there a Thai word for maintenance] But was the cable breaking what happened. I have often wondered if the cable broke and I fell would not the cable also come down on top of the car?

Ive just re read it, 16 people ? overloaded for sure, but, still shouldnt have happened, that royal plaza is the oldest of the 3 and is/was a sh1thole, ill bet its more likely the lift collapsed,another reason to step up my fitness program, ill be taking the stairs from now on, :(

My hat is off to you 18 flights of stairs WOW

just wonder how may of the guests have already checked out?

No doubt about substandard installation and maintenance [is there a Thai word for maintenance] But was the cable breaking what happened. I have often wondered if the cable broke and I fell would not the cable also come down on top of the car?

"Maintenance" in Thai is bamrung raksaa บำรุงรักษา

Have you seen the size of some of these Pattaya tourists? That lift could well have been carrying 4800lbs or 2177 kilos or 2.177 tonnes.

Here are the workings:

Arithmetic mean average weight of Pattaya tourist: 300 lbs

Number of Pattaya tourists in lift come Disneyland ride: 16

16# x 300lbs = 4800 lbs

1 kg = 2.20462248 lbs

4800/2.20 = 2177 kgs.

1 tonne = 1000 kgs.

2177/1000 = 2.177 tonnes.

Just as a matter of personal preferences I refuse to get on a elevator with 15 other people my size.

Also reading these posts can be upsetting I had no problem with it happening in third world countries but

Tywais

You ruined it with the post about America having so many problems. No wonder Dean Martin was afraid to take elevators. Oh well I fly and the odds of getting hurt on the elevator are probably worse.

"Maintenance" in Thai is bamrung raksaa บำรุงรักษา

Thank you I will take extra efforts to learn that word. Here where I live we have a elevator that is out of order more than it is in order. I have had many friendly discussions with the manager about Maintenance. They seem to be trying to not only maintain but do the job rite. I will learn that word and by the time the elevator is fixed he will have corrected me enough times that I will have it. Every word is a battle for me. I have taken lessons twice and plan on taking one with a private tutor and learn to read it also. People tell me that if you can read it you will be able to pronounce it better. Of course it won't help my memory.