1870S - 1890S

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow some great photos there - thanks for posting. I have an oriinalof a magazine (American) printed at the time. There is a report (14 pages) about life in the King's (Monkut's - of King and I fame) palace made by an American who stayed at the palace for several months as a Royal guest. It contains some wood-block prints, but is mainly text. There is much mention of the king and his love for his hildren, but nothing about Anna (no surprise there!). I have it in a safe waiting to be shipped here with some other stuff I left in storage long while back - when I get it, I will try and scan it in and post it. It's pretty well written.

Hang around....as I've some extraordinary rare and hard-to-find photos from this era {mid to late nineteenth century}. Quite worthy to view, if you're interested in this type of thing. Even more obscure and rare photography is in my presence from the 1920's through the 1950's - I just have to find leisure to post them. Spreading the wealth for all to enjoy.

• Like 1

What surprises me is the lack of military photos/ , which you would see in any similar collection of other countries.

Is that your choice or ?

In contrast today we see almost everyone in uniform, passport , election, family photos

The military presence in Siam/Thailand didn't really come into force and consciousness until the 1930's....big time militarism since. Interesting to note, that the first 'real' standing military force was brought to bear by HM King Chulalongkorn - not so for protection regarding the contemporary foreign squabbles {French & British}, but predominately for domestic uses. The regional uprisings, revolts, and assorted movements were quite rife in the 1880's and 1890's. The army and navy grew 10 fold under his reign. Naturally, the modern period of Thai usually is associated with militarism - strong in the 1940's to the present day. Rather paradoxical in it's examination. Buddhism and Militarism.

• Like 1