1870S - 1890S

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I, for one, find them fascinating & would like to thank Zzaa9 for posting them. History is more than just dates & names and wars, it's understanding how people lived. A collection of pictures like this, however random, really helps us catch a glimpse of the real past.

^^ I, for one, find them fascinating & would like to thank Zzaa9 for posting them. . A collection of pictures like this, however random, really helps us catch a glimpse of the real past.

"History is more than just dates & names and wars, it's understanding how people lived"

Yes i agree and this is why I find this so frustrating.photographs are historical documents and subject to interpretation and contrary to what you have just suggested - are not necessarily "a glimpse of the real past".....

To take a photo on face value is a big, big mistake there is so much more in an image ....in fact I would go as far as to suggest that a simple l interpretation can be and usually is VERY misleading.

I find it very frustrating to see this amount of documentation floating about with any apparent analysis or even provenance - we are not even told if they are photographic prints or magazine "cuttings"

Edited by Deeral
  • Like 1

I love all of the elephants.

What a pity the elephant was removed from the Thai flag.

Now elephants are scarce and regarded as a nuisance.

Thank you for sharing these old photos.

They may be yellow and brown but they have survived.

What of today's digital photography?

Will modern photos survive as well?

Or will the old CD's and hard drives all become corrupted?

What of today's digital photography?

Will modern photos survive as well?

Or will the old CD's and hard drives all become corrupted?

Please permit me to first of all chime in with appreciation for all the historical photos ZZ has posted, regardless of whether some are identified or not. Just seeing them are impressive. I agree that having more information about the photos would be great, but sometimes it's not always so simple to do. I've added some info about one photo (Sukhumvit, Soi 8) and spotted that the photo was in fact backwards. And others have also added some info or corrections as well.

Okay, back to the question at hand. I'm no skilled photographer, but it can be said that photographs have gone through a process of evolving, from tintypes to paper images to digital images. As the technology has changed, so has the media. Older images are often transferred into newer formats. It's possible future photo images might involve equipment or cameras that work at the nano scale, and provide exceptionally rich clarification, perhaps even better than the originals. I'd guess modern images and images stored on old CD's will be transferred over to whatever new media might be used in the future. I'm sure some of the expert photography buffs here on TV have better insights on that subject than I do. It's hard to guess what's next for photography and the preservation of historical photos. In terms of loss, some images are bound to be lost due to accident, neglect, or just plain disposed of. But of those that currently exist, and those that may be rediscovered after being buried away and forgotten inside a box in some closet, I think we'll likely be able to view them long into the future.

I get the feeling that we may be losing valuable historical documents that are being mistreated in the hands of an albeit well meaning amateur.THere does not seem to be any approach to properly conserve these documents.

ID - is not really an issue - at least only a small one - provenance and context plus analysis of content - but I don't see this happening.

I'm not trying to "do down" the posters efforts but THere just doesn't seem t be a structured plan behind these artifacts...or is there?

bTW - anyone who has handled early photos will tell you that the Detail and definition is phenomenal - just because they were B&W or Sepia tone doesn't preclude the ability to capture detail - often better than home digital photos

Edited by Deeral

• 4 weeks later...

I get the feeling that we may be losing valuable historical documents that are being mistreated in the hands of an albeit well meaning amateur.THere does not seem to be any approach to properly conserve these documents.

ID - is not really an issue - at least only a small one - provenance and context plus analysis of content - but I don't see this happening.

I'm not trying to "do down" the posters efforts but THere just doesn't seem t be a structured plan behind these artifacts...or is there?

bTW - anyone who has handled early photos will tell you that the Detail and definition is phenomenal - just because they were B&W or Sepia tone doesn't preclude the ability to capture detail - often better than home digital photos

We already saw your complaint first time around. I would imagine the renaming and uploading and posting took this guy many hours already. It's a photo thread, not a historical database. How are we "losing valuable historical documents" if he's posting them up here for all to see. The real loss is if he took offense to your repeated whining and stopped posting them at all.

Here's an idea, save all the photos and go research them yourself. Or better yet, go to every museum and library in Thailand and photograph the pictures. Don't forget to write down where each photo came from and the history behind it. Then come and post your thread here at thaivisa.

Or you could just look at the pictures and enjoy his efforts so far.

Edited by thaiphoon
Flame removed

We already saw your complaint first time around. I would imagine the renaming and uploading and posting took this guy many hours already. It's a photo thread, not a historical database. How are we "losing valuable historical documents" if he's posting them up here for all to see. The real loss is if he took offense to your repeated whining and stopped posting them at all.

Here's an idea, save all the photos and go research them yourself. Or better yet, go to every museum and library in Thailand and photograph the pictures. Don't forget to write down where each photo came from and the history behind it. Then come and post your thread here at thaivisa.

you took your time!

it's quite clear you don't know the first thing about history, let alone photo history.

It makes me sad to see comments like yours because ignorance like this can lead to the loss of potentially valuable historical documents.

unfortunately you don't appear to have even the slightest inkling of how to approach this problem.

effort alone is no justification - making a bonfire takes effort - and if this poster is not going to approach these photos in a responsible manner - he might as well be lighting a bonfire.

you took your time!

it's quite clear you don't know the first thing about history, let alone photo history.

It makes me sad to see comments like yours because ignorance like this can lead to the loss of potentially valuable historical documents.

unfortunately you don't appear to have even the slightest inkling of how to approach this problem.

effort alone is no justification - making a bonfire takes effort - and if this poster is not going to approach these photos in a responsible manner - he might as well be lighting a bonfire.

You're the sad, ignorant one here. Guy spends hours sharing his pictures with us and you're complaining. Just because he's not slaving away to one silly member's whim doesn't mean we're losing valuable historical documents. You almost sound absurd to me.

Like I said, go to the museums and libraries and do it yourself. I'm tired of your lack of effort and there's lots of history we're losing because you're just sitting on your ass instead of researching this stuff.

Go...Go now. Put some effort in and get to work researching valuable almost lost Thai history....Or stop whining and enjoy the photos.

Edited by damian7000

It doesn't matter how much effort you put into something - if you are doping a pointless task, it's a waste of time.

It is apparent you have no idea what could be done with this catalogue if handled correctly methodically and intelligently - unfortunately I suspect that this is not the case.

It doesn't matter how much effort you put into something - if you are doping a pointless task, it's a waste of time.

It is apparent you have no idea what could be done with this catalogue if handled correctly methodically and intelligently - unfortunately I suspect that this is not the case.

Who are you to say it's pointless? You're the only one whining about this guy's efforts. Everyone else is commending him. Again, this isn't a historical database. It's a picture posting forum.

Maybe it's time you handle things correctly, methodically, and intelligently and go out and catalog and document every old photo in Thailand. Laew laew now...Time is a wastin' and there's precious historical data going to waste out there.

Who are you to say it's pointless? You're the only one whining about this guy's efforts. Everyone else is commending him. Again, this isn't a historical database. It's a picture posting forum.

Maybe it's time you handle things correctly, methodically, and intelligently and go out and catalog and document every old photo in Thailand. Laew laew now...Time is a wastin' and there's precious historical data going to waste out there.

I am not "whining" - I'm calling for some indication that there is intelligent and planned historical r academic methodology applied to this - somethingI suspect by your comments you know nothing about.Now I'm really not entering into further discussion with you as your fallacious arguments are on a par with suggesting that the world is flat.

If you had any idea what you were talking about you'd be discussing the documents but you even fail to realise what they are, how to interpret or any potential significance - I suspect you are completely uneducated in this field and can't understand why or what your are arguing apart from trying to insult someone and something because you don't understand it.

Stop complaining and get your ass to the library and start researching. Valuable history is going to be lost. Your laziness really is starting to get to me.

what an extraordinarily baseless statement.

I've questioned the provenance and conservation of these documents - no-one has given an answer - presumably because they don't know.

So how would I do that - this is a "hole in my bucket" conversation - but all the same I'll continue.......

I've asked the poster - and received no reply - I assume he is in possession of this collection.so as he refuses to say where it is how can I take any action?

I would think though that it would be down to him to seek this help himself if he/she is going to act in a responsible way.

BTW - what is the basis for your assumption that I'm "just sitting there"?

Edited by Deeral