1870S - 1890S

It is up to the OP to post as he sees fit. As it is he has posted something which is nice to browse through once or twice....a coffee table book....but of little lasting value. If the poster wishes to add more information...ie what it is and source it changes from that to a world class historical resource.

I think he may have that at home now. Maybe he doesn't want others to have it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is up to the OP to post as he sees fit. As it is he has posted something which is nice to browse through once or twice....a coffee table book....but of little lasting value. If the poster wishes to add more information...ie what it is and source it changes from that to a world class historical resource.

I think he may have that at home now. Maybe he doesn't want others to have it.

I'm sure he's just being selfish and keeping all the information for himself. ermm.gif

Again, this a simple photo posting thread, not a world class historical resource or database. He's already invested many hours posting and changing filenames.

You and Deeral should get together and have a research shindig and come back and post all your findings. Or keep being lazy and telling other people how they should post.

Hello -anybody there?I'm asking about the collection of documents on this site!I want to know about them do you understand?

i really think you are the most obtuse poster I've come across for some time

now i understand. you just want to know about the pictures... that i understand. it's a healthy interest and not above unreasonable request. but calling him irresponsible or that he's not being intelligent, or whatever else you accused him of for not satisfying your whims on what you think was the right way to post in a picture posting thread....erm... that was my only point. guy's already spent many hours posting these and renaming them... praise his efforts thus far.

in answer to your question. i think it's quite clear. nobody's home.

I pleasant thread has been created by someone considerate enough to spend some time and scan many images of the past. For that I am greatful as it has been an interesting browse.

However, someone has destroyed this thread with his one man pissing contest. Deeral, you really are a twit - It is because of people like you that interesting threads such as this are not more common place.

While many people are thankful for the images, you instead choose to criticize the gentleman who has gone to such efforts for our benefit.

Please stop destroying a pleasant topic.

I have a valid criticism of this thread and the conservation of the documents - none of this has been addressed - only a few whinging comments by people who don't show any appreciation of the potentially serious issues involved.If the OP wants to trample all over historical documents then I feel it is my duty to point out what he/she is apparently doing - as I said at the beginning probably through ignorance rather than intent.

THere is an issue of heritage at stake here - and lord knows, Thailand has had enough problems with its historical past already without the unwary further loosing valuable documentation that should be available to historians to sort out.

I have a valid criticism of this thread and the conservation of the documents - none of this has been addressed - only a few whinging comments by people who don't show any appreciation of the potentially serious issues involved.If the OP wants to trample all over historical documents then I feel it is my duty to point out what he/she is apparently doing - as I said at the beginning probably through ignorance rather than intent.

THere is an issue of heritage at stake here - and lord knows, Thailand has had enough problems with its historical past already without the unwary further loosing valuable documentation that should be available to historians to sort out.

If you feel you have valid comments then fair enough. Start a new thread and they can be addressed there and those who wish to do so can enter the debate. After all there is nothing wrong with a healthy discussion and many of your points would be valid in a thread set up to address those points.

As things stand you have taken over and tarnished a pleasant thread which I and many others up until your criticisms enjoyed looking at.

I for one very much agree with many of your points. But disagree with the location in which you have chosen to voice them.

(Perhaps start a new topic with a link in this thread to direct those who wish to follow it ?)

Edited by richard_smith237

Jeez - the criticisms are about this thread and it's contents.If the OP doesn't expect criticism ten he shouldn't have posted....this is a forum it's about discussion - although I must say I'm not impressed with the standards on this thread - quite a lot of posters who simply don't know what they are talking about.You seem to be trying to make up rules for other posters that suit you in particular.

• 2 weeks later...

again, this is a simple photo posting thread. go to a historical database website, or better yet go do your own research and post it back here instead of crapping on someone else's efforts. or maybe write to the mods and have them start a historical database forum where it's required to post at least 500 words on each photo.

• 1 month later...

Hang around....as I've some extraordinary rare and hard-to-find photos from this era {mid to late nineteenth century}. Quite worthy to view, if you're interested in this type of thing. Even more obscure and rare photography is in my presence from the 1920's through the 1950's - I just have to find leisure to post them. Spreading the wealth for all to enjoy.

Do you have any photos of Louis Leonowens? My old friend is named after him. His great great(?) aunt is Anna. There is a hard to find book about Louis. I think it is called Louis and The Prince of Siam?

Your photos are fantastic!!!!

I'd like to know what steps are being take to catalogue and preserve these documents.Even if the owners aren't prepared to research them fully, I would have thought it was their responsibility to see that these images are at least preserved for future generations to research.

ZZaa09,

Thanks for taking the time to post these photo's, I for one enjoy looking through your collection and must compliment you a job well done. Ignore the time waster/s who are trying to hi-jack your thread with time wasting waffle, all of which is meaningless within the context of what you have set out to achieve.

I'd like to know what steps are being take to catalogue and preserve these documents.Even if the owners aren't prepared to research them fully, I would have thought it was their responsibility to see that these images are at least preserved for future generations to research.

Hmmm....quite pretentious and presumptuous. So you are assuming that because the presentation that might be displayed within these forums, as per your specifications, these historic images are vacant of full documentation, cataloging, and extensive footnotes/briefings elsewhere? How can you be so sure that such extensive research and developed tasks of archiving isn't well in place already? Just because they're not presented in such a manner here certainly doesn't mean such fully enclosed cataloging and complete documentation regarding these items isn't ongoing.....elsewhere. Things are never what they appear to be, are they? Ignorant assumptions are easier to fabricate. The historic images that I have acquired number in the thousands....most which haven't been presented here on TV. I do trust that you might step off your high horse, for your false redundancy is easily scanned through. I'm quite sure that your "sincere" point of public responsibility and said preservation for future generations is made up of <deleted>. Have a nice day.

Edited by zzaa09

Hmmm....quite pretentious and presumptuous. So you are assuming that because the presentation that might be displayed within these forums, as per your specifications, these historic images are vacant of full documentation, cataloging, and extensive footnotes/briefings elsewhere? How can you be so sure that such extensive research and developed tasks of archiving isn't well in place already? Just because they're not presented in such a manner here certainly doesn't mean such fully enclosed cataloging and complete documentation regarding these items isn't ongoing.....elsewhere. Things are never what they appear to be, are they? Ignorant assumptions are easier to fabricate. The historic images that I have acquired number in the thousands....most which haven't been presented here on TV. I do trust that you might step off your high horse, for your false redundancy is easily scanned through. I'm quite sure that your "sincere" point of public responsibility and said preservation for future generations is made up of <deleted>. Have a nice day.

Please take a look at my question again and tell me - what assumptions are you referring to?

I AM now assuming you aren't an English speaker, but can I gather from your post that your don't really understand the nature of image conservation techniques or the significance of old imagery interpretation?

Edited by Deeral

Please take a look at my question again and tell me - what assumptions are you referring to?

I AM now assuming you aren't an English speaker, but can I gather from your post that your don't really understand the nature of image conservation techniques or the significance of old imagery interpretation?

Most of the photos and graphics collection here are well preserved, maybe not all together and cataloged though. You may found them at Office of National Archives of Thailand, Fine Arts Department near the Grand Palace. Thai Film Archives Public Organization of Thailand near Pra Pin Klao Bridge. Nevertheless, my gratitude to ZZaa09 for giving me a chance to look at them again here.

Most of the photos and graphics collection here are well preserved, maybe not all together and cataloged though. You may found them at Office of National Archives of Thailand, Fine Arts Department near the Grand Palace. Thai Film Archives Public Organization of Thailand near Pra Pin Klao Bridge. Nevertheless, my gratitude to ZZaa09 for giving me a chance to look at them again here.

so the OP has either had access to the originals and copied them or what?

As far as I can see on this thread, despite my queries, this institution has at no time been credited with the possession these images or their originals.

Edited by Deeral

I also find it curious that these images if archived in public institutions suddenly find their way onto the internet. Presumably at the "publics" expense.

Images - especially originals or old ones are very fragile documents and their handling should be restricted to the absolute minimum.Provence etc should also be established so that a meaningful interpretation of a single image or a group of images can be made.

Please explain the significance of being a native English speaker or not and what it has to do with posting photographs in this thread.

And as for

"I'd like to know what steps are being take to catalogue and preserve these documents.Even if the owners aren't prepared to research them fully, I would have thought it was their responsibility to see that these images are at least preserved for future generations to research".

I didn't realise that you had ownership for the future of these photographs?

• 5 months later...

Thank you, zzaa09, for publishing this wonderful collection here.

I've caught myself spending almost two hours with it, and I will certainly come back. I think that sharing these photos on Thaivisa was a good decision, because there are so many people here with a special relationship to Thailand who are interested in this kind of material. I also believe that many of these photos do tell a story and are therefore valuable even without explanation and analysis. The only thing more stunning than the collection is probably the sheer bumbledom of people like Deeral, but I hope this will not detract from further contributions.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Cheers, CMX

• 4 months later...

Thanks ZZ for the pics! Let deeral and others blather on about protecting the future etc. as others mentioned regarding your posting of these pictures, it's just that - posting pictures. Let the purists head to the library or tune in something on their satellite-fed tvs and let generous contributors such as yourself and grateful viewers, such as myself, enjoy the photos.

Hi - simply to say thanks, and I hope you choose to continue posting.

An earlier post mentioned military photos; living in Chanthaburi we have remnants of the French occupation nearby at Laem Sing - military barracks (Tuek Daeng) and prison (Khu Khi Kai), but I've been able to find very little in terms of photographs from that period of time.

A cafe in the city has some photo prints from around 1900 of the prison, and of French officers at what appear to be the riverfront markets at old Chantaboon, and I've seen the same photos plus a few more on the local TV channel's history programme.

The 'old town' Chantaboon festival is on this Fri-Sun, hoping there will be some displays of historic material, though I suspect that as the French occupation was possibly not the proudest moment in history there is not much available.

A couple of newspaper images attached from Le Petite Journal 5 April 1903 and other only labelled as French Occupation of 1904 - but I'd like to see some photos.

• 4 months later...