1900 - 1920'S

Your 1900s-1920s posts #6 2010-07-26 08:16, '3-7~0.jpg' and #42 2010-08-04 18:02 , 'chiangmai-cafe-1928.jpg' (same photo)

This photo is looking to the northeast from the Tha Pae-Chang Klan (night market street) intersection with Tha Pae Road extending off to the right (east), in 1928 (? the Payap Univ website says 1929), at a still-existing building on the corner which is now a coffee shop. Photo was by Tanaka.

This photo was taken from the same location at your New Forum-Thailand and Siam History Photos (p4) post #89 of 2010-07-25 06:57 '1677.jpg'. This was looking west-southwest with Tha Pae Road extending off to the right. It was taken in 1954 by Boonserm Satrabhaya. A traffic light had just been installed --- visible above the boyscout directing traffic. Either the traffic light didn't work or drivers weren't yet familiar with its operation --- hence the uniform directing traffic.

The two photos, separated by 25 years or so, are an interesting contrast: both have uniforms directing traffic, but presumably for different reasons. The earlier photo carries the comment on the Payap Univ website that the policeman, in his center-of-intersection elevated kiosk, definitely enhanced the movement of traffic through the intersection.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this information islandee. Please keep posting. It is just the information we need to make sense of this wonderful box of old photos.

Reference: your post #58 of 2010-22-16 08:03 in the 1900-1920s folder

Harrry: I feel your frustration. Unfortunately I can help only with photos from the Chiang Mai area --- and only those with which I'm familiar. And I concede, delightedly (but suspiciously), that there are some images on this site with which I'm not familiar. As you've probably already noted, many of the image titles on this site can themselves offer useful information. When I've found such, I've intentionally not commented.

Some while back, feeling extremely limited with the online photo exhibit from the Payap Univ website --- which was presented only in Thai, I downloaded the whole thing and had it translated (too much of it dross, unfortunately). I indexed the result and will eventually post it on my own website, whose formation has also unfortunately been delayed for various reasons.

For what it's worth, the address for Payap Univ's online exhibit IN THAI of Boonserm's work is http://lib.payap.ac.th/webin/ntic/PhotoLanna/Index.php. It's basically a static site, but after I cross-indexed it to the Chiang Mai Univ exhibit of (the same) Boonserm's work (at http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/en_picturelanna/picture_trails.php), I eventually figured out that the CMU crowd is very active, and that their site is constantly being updated and enlarged. However, I've had to move on. In any case, both sites are worth your perusal. There are also supposedly 4020 images at http://<URL Automatically Removed>/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1648, but I've only skimmed it so far, and it appears far less informative than this site --- a stonewall basically.

I also note that the organization of this portion of the Thaivisa website is extremely confusing for me --- but I presume that this is really just my first exploration. After reading your comment, I had a difficult time getting back to it to respond. I needed to do this to be able to reference _your_ comment, because my references to other points had not been recorded. While the organization is needed, there is some serious overlapping that can get confusing.

**<br>

Your post 1900-1920s (2), #40, 2010-08-02 09:29, 'chiangmai&ping-river_1902.jpg':

This is the Gula Bridge, erected by Dr Marion Cheek in 1892. Dr Cheek's exploits alone are worthy of a book and are summarized at http://www.herbswanson.com/thesis_irony/prelude_to_irony_chapter2.php. In hardcopy, Oliver Hargreave in his "Exploring Chiang Mai" provides an excellent short-form bio of Dr Cheek on p 73 of his '3rd Edition'. Dr Cheek also built the First Church of Christ in Chiang Mai, which still stands today, more than 100 years later, but is now part of a school. The bridge was terminally damaged in 1932 by teak logs floated down the river by one of the large logging companies and it was demolished. The same site is now occupied by the Chanson Bridge, more popularly known now as 'the footbridge'.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

re a pic in #50 French-soldiers-in-Trat_1903

I've been searching for pics of the French occupation Trat/Chanthaburi, and have this same picture labelled as French soldiers in The Tonkin referring to France's Tonkin Campaign in north Vietnam.

Need an expert on military uniforms of that era . . . anyone?

EDIT: answering my own question . . . a simple Google search on French soldiers in The Tonkin brought up this:

Description: English: French_soldiers_in_the_Tonkin_circa_1890.

Date: ca. 1890

Source: "Aventuriers du Monde" p.115

Author: Corneille Trumelet-Faber (1852-1916)

Edited by Atmos

• 1 month later...