1970'S - 1990'S

Sukhumvit near Nana 1975

YEAH, there were times when we can see the sky in Sukhumvit (((-:

I have been in Bkk and Pattaya first in 1975 and remember also a lot of Klongs in Bangkok, not much skyscrapers and absolutely no skytrains or too much traffic.

THANKS for the pictures timestamp :jap:

• Like 1

Sukhumvit near Nana 1975

YEAH, there were times when we can see the sky in Sukhumvit (((-:

I have been in Bkk and Pattaya first in 1975 and remember also a lot of Klongs in Bangkok, not much skyscrapers and absolutely no skytrains or too much traffic.

THANKS for the pictures timestamp :jap:

That's the same impression I got from the photo as well. No skytrains. Lots of blue sky. The TAILORS sign looks familiar. So does that white building in the background. One of my favorite spots to stay at was the shady old Mermaid's Rest guesthouse/bar/restaurant on Soi 8, on the right, just off Sukhumvit Road. It had a great all-you-can-eat outdoor grill buffet. On one occasion, they goofed up the reservations. All they had was a smaller room, which was okay with me. Cost: 50 baht/day. That was sometime around the late 80s or early 90s.

Edited by AmeriThai

:thumbsup: Nice photo of Suk and Soi 8. Thanks for posting it. It's exactly as I remember. Hey, I think I see myself heading for Soi 8. LOL!

For those who don't know, Soi 8 is on the right in the photo where the cars are coming out, just past the reddish rails. On this side of the Soi, but on Sukhumvit, is a shop. I can't remember all they sold there, but I do remember they had a number of highly detailed Chinese cork sculptures depicting mountains, trees, birds, pagodas, etc., all contained in glass cases of various shapes. I was so impressed I bought about three of them with a discount. On the other side of Soi 8 was another store on the corner, and just past that a short distance was a branch of Bangkok Bank with an exchange booth out in front. Exchange rates at the time was 25 baht to the US dollar. Might not sound like a great rate, but it was excellent at the time. Prices were much lower so you could get a lot more for your money.

Across Sukhumvit from Soi 8 and on the corner (Soi 11, I think) was a shoe store, I believe called Phraya. Bought a nice comfortable pair of leather sandals there. I still have those same sandals, still in good shape. A bit down Soi 11 from Phraya Shoes, is the Siam Commercial Bank. A few steps past the shoe store along Suk, led to a parking area for the Ambassador Hotel. There was a nice covered food area with cheap, but good Thai food. And out in the parking area was a mini-zoo. Further down Sukhumvit, on the left side in the photo, on Soi 13 is the Miami Hotel. Can't see it in the photo. But out in front directly on Suk, was the Thermae Coffee Shop and another bank & exchange booth. In the morning, there was a guy with a cart and tables set up in front of the Thermae serving breakfast, good coffee, and khao pat khai. There was another set up in a nook along Soi 8 too.

Good times and made a lot of good friends there.

• Like 1

Sukhumvit Road, Soi 8, 1986

ZZ, I was looking at that photo of Sukhumvit, Soi 8, and something didn't look quite right about it to me. I was thinking the view was looking east in the direction of Robinson Dept. store, but the buildings off in the distance didn't make any sense. Then I discovered what the problem is. The lettering of the Coca-Cola sign is backwards. Your photo is flipped in reverse. It's looking toward the direction of the Din Daeng Expressway. I'm pretty sure that's a foot bridge in the distance crossing the road near Soi 2. Soi 8 is actually located on the left side. LOL! The photo must've been taken from a footbridge. Seems like there was one with DK Books on the left side and the Ambassador Hotel parking and micro-zoo on the right. Below is the correct orientation of the image.

suksoi81986a.jpg