Do You Drink And Drive In Thailand?

george

Do you drink and drive in Thailand?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Drink-drive campaign at nightspots

Patrons at one pub put on breathalyser

BANGKOK: A big road safety campaign is getting underway as the Christmas festive season approaches.

Surasit Silapa-ngam, manager of Anti-Drunk Driving Foundation, said 300 beer gardens citywide will be urged to promote road safety awareness. Nightspots serving alcohol will be asked to put up a sign urging patrons to take a cab if they are drunk, he said.

Boonrawd Brewery has agreed to put customers on a breathalyser before leaving the premises.

``Patrons with more than 0.5 milligramme of alcohol in their blood will be asked to wait until they are sober or take a cab home,'' he said.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra urged the provincial governors to take a lead in curbing road accidents.

Speaking on his weekly radio programme, Mr Thaksin said he wanted the governors to promote at least three safety measures in the campaign.

``Helmets, seatbelts, and no alcohol at the steering wheel. If these three measures are observed, death tolls from accidents will fall remarkably,'' he said.

About 13,000 people were killed in road accidents last year and 150,000 others injured.

Mr Thaksin praised Songkhla for taking an initiative to curb road accidents by urging motorcyclists to turn headlights on and wear helmets.

Kittipong Kittyarak, director-general of Probation Department, said 100 inmates put on probation for drunk-driving were doing community work.

Inmates paint traffic signs, help people cross the streets, clean traffic signs and lights.

``This programme doesn't mean to humiliate them. They're willing to do it,'' he said.

Anant, 40, (surname withheld) who helps people cross streets, said he feels less guilty when doing the job.

Mr Anant's blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he was arrested. ``I'm glad I didn't hit anyone,'' he said.

Sourec: Bangkok Post 2003-11-23

• 2 years later...

If you way up the number of people that drink and drive here it would out way the number of people that don't drink and drive. :D

I don't personally (not the truck anyway) and I find if I do then I always seem to spill some when going around corners. :o:D

If you way up the number of people that drink and drive here it would out way the number of people that don't drink and drive. :D

I don't personally (not the truck anyway) and I find if I do then I always seem to spill some when going around corners. :o:D

Dave, note the start date of this thread :D

Dave, note the start date of this thread :D

oops :D I thought it seemed familiar.

In most road accidents alcohol is involved.

Those accidents generally leave the most horrible injuries imaginable, and it is amazing that people can still be fully conscious with limbs mangled beyond recognition. And unfortunately it is not only the drunk driver who gets injured, but innocents as well.

Everybody who voted that he/she regularly drinks and drives should do a mandatory stint as rescue worker, and then reconsider.