Looking For Experienced Dig Farang Photographer.

I would like to hire farang digital photographer for private lessons on my new Nikon.The person must have an experince with digital indoor photography, and some recommendation/albums/works that I can review. Only serious plz, no time wasters. Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell, this being digital, if the reviewed photo looks crappy, toss, change settings and try again.

Digital is great for that sort of thing.

For lessons and advice beyond that, I get 2,000 baht an hour, 10 hour minimum.  :o  :D

Spot on, one of the best things about a digital camera is you can see exactly wht you're shooting without extra costs for processing and developing. Room for lots of experimentation.

And why a farang? Others not as good??

I thought you wanted someone who knew what they were doing with a camera? I didn't realize you meant someone who could take a snapshot. :o

But seriously, there's so many websites with tons of advice; The Rule of Thirds, depth of field,... adnauseum.

Practice and learn what you personally like. Unless you're out on a National Geographic assignment shoot, I doubt a few mistakes in self-learning will ruin your photograhic psyche.

I thought you wanted someone who knew what they were doing with a camera? I didn't realize you meant someone who could take a snapshot.  :o

But seriously, there's so many websites with tons of advice; The Rule of Thirds, depth of field,... adnauseum.

Practice and learn what you personally like. Unless you're out on a National Geographic assignment shoot, I doubt a few mistakes in self-learning will ruin your photograhic psyche.

One cant learn painting by look at websites...photography is an art, I understood it, that's why I dont want just make a pictures, I want to control all aspects of it, and I need a good teacher for learning to create special ones...

Then hopefully Somchai will have mercy on you and work at slave wages.

I will tell you though, just how goofed you are. No amount of short-time teaching is going to make you a good photographer. For that to happpen, you need a gift. If you have a gift, you don't need lessons. The other way of becoming good is long and arduous. Since you're apparently too lazy or unmotivated to even glean useful information that might exist for free, good luck.

I've already given you damned good adive and you basically p!ssed on it, <deleted>. :o:D

First up, what the other guys are telling you is exactly correct.

Why not just get a book, read about the techniques and then go out and practice them. Doing this with a buddy who is also trying to learn the ropes is great. It gives you motivation, and some top days out doing what you love!

Ive been doing this for the last year, and have seen my results improve drastically.

There are also a couple of cool websites out there where you can upload your fotos, and they will be commented upon by other enthusiasts and professionals which is another great place to learn things. www.usefilm.com is one of the ones that i use.

Basically, learning to do it yourself is much more rewarding than trying to pay a photographer to teach you. I'm lucky in that one of my friends is a great Photographer, but even so his input is minimal.

Ive been into fotogprahy for almost a year now and am still learning new techniques every time i go for a shoot.

My shooting buddy just bought a Nikon D70 which i am helping him figure out and learn to shoot. If you want to join us on any of our shoots, which are just fun days at cool places then PM me. I spend my weeks in Phuket, and weekends in Bangkok.

Why not just get a book, read about the techniques and then go out and practice them. Doing this with a buddy who is also trying to learn the ropes is great. It gives you motivation, and some top days out doing what you love!

Ive been doing this for the last year, and have seen my results improve drastically.

There are also a couple of cool websites out there where you can upload your fotos, and they will be commented upon by other enthusiasts and professionals which is another great place to learn things. www.usefilm.com is one of the ones that i use.

Basically, learning to do it yourself is much more rewarding than trying to pay a photographer to teach you. I'm lucky in that one of my friends is a great Photographer, but even so his input is minimal.

Ive been into fotogprahy for almost a year now and am still learning new techniques every time i go for a shoot.

My shooting buddy just bought a Nikon D70 which i am helping him figure out and learn to shoot. If you want to join us on any of our shoots, which are just fun days at cool places then PM me. I spend my weeks in Phuket, and weekends in Bangkok.

:o

Good response.

Anyway Doi, regardless of attitudes present, you have a great opportunity to shoot as many photos as you like as you learn without spending thousands on film and processing - something many photographers rank as 'paying your dues.'

Quite frankly, photographers have split personalities about teaching:

Personality #1: If you love photography and share the magic they will share freely.

Personality #2: It deserves its due reward as a profession, especially when training the competition, and it deserves to be duly paid or you pay your own dues.

I'm what the industry has coined a 'graphic arts technician' - a marriage of digital and traditional backgrounds in photography and print technology.

Get plugged in to your local photography community, attend the photofairs, check out Nikon's office on Sathon Praksin, tell them what you want...everything begins by asking and not giving up. It will help you clarify your goals.

Photography, the art and the science, (and light for that matter) is continuous and contiguous. It never ends. So if you want to start the journey, PM me. I'm leaving for China in about a week and I don't know when I'm going to be back. But I may be able to point you in a few directions.

sawadii dude... :D

:o

Good response.

Anyway Doi, regardless of attitudes present, you have a great opportunity to shoot as many photos as you like as you learn without spending thousands on film and processing - something many photographers rank as 'paying your dues.'

Quite frankly, photographers have split personalities about teaching:

Personality #1: If you love photography and share the magic they will share freely.

Personality #2: It deserves its due reward as a profession, especially when training the competition, and it deserves to be duly paid or you pay your own dues.

I'm what the industry has coined a 'graphic arts technician' - a marriage of digital and traditional backgrounds in photography and print technology.

Get plugged in to your local photography community, attend the photofairs, check out Nikon's office on Sathon Praksin, tell them what you want...everything begins by asking and not giving up. It will help you clarify your goals.

Photography, the art and the science, (and light for that matter) is continuous and contiguous. It never ends. So if you want to start the journey, PM me. I'm leaving for China in about a week and I don't know when I'm going to be back. But I may be able to point you in a few directions.

sawadii dude... :D

Thanks for you good(and not so good) replies. I havent defined my goals in here and few other conditions, that's why you dont understand my need in professional that can review my previous works and point in the right direction. It's ok, I'll use that place only to find the right person, without discussing anymore.

I saw an add on the Chiang Mai Citylife web site for somebody who gives classes.

Sure reading a book can help a lot and even just looking at other photographers work will help. I used to teach photography for the US Navy and I would tell my students not worry about how many mistakes they made as long as they learned from them.

I went to the Santa Fe Workshop a few years ago for a class with Jay Maisel and even though I had been a photographer for 20 plus years I still got a lot from him.

The one thing I will say is that just because you have a digital camera doesn't make it any easier, in fact I would digital can be harder at times. However, because you're shooting digital the learning curve should be a little faster. I'm not living in Thailand yet so I can not help you out much.

google Frank Fey and you should come up with an old web site of mine.

I agree. You can either teach yourself or join a camera club for learning how to shoot.

However a large part of digital photography is now in image manipulation side.

If you want lessons then I know of an ex-professional who now lives in LOS who might be interested in teaching you.

• 3 months later...

One of the joys of digital cameras is that they do not handle a wide subject brightness range very well. :o

Spending my days looking at the rubish that comes out of supposedly good cameras where the subject has blown out and the nearby senors have been affected with strange colours has instilled a big dose of synisism about the joys digital photography. When the customer complains about their masterpiece, I explain the limitations of the equipment, and get the response "but is is a Kodaksonycanonnikon" . The nature of the sensors is that they saturate and the high levels bleed in to the areas near by. This does happen in film but it is not as pronounced.

You need to be able to control the brightness range, the creative use of flash helps, or an understanding of the equipment. To this end nothing beats taking LOTS of photos, and notes. With digital it is easier as the tech data is often recorded as part of the image file. That just leaves remembering the scene as you saw it and how you previsualised the final image.

Remeber the first thing you see on the screen is not the final piece of art, you need to print it for something to share with others consisantly. This leads into having a calabrated monitor, colour space and a number of other topics that could keep this thread going for some time.

Ansel Adams said that the negative is the score and the print is the perfomance. This can be adapted to the digital age.

Chang paarp

One of the joys of digital cameras is that they do not handle a wide subject brightness range very well.

aint that the truth !!

but i have read of a new sensor that has two receptors , one for low light levels and one for bright areas , each pixcel will be able to record both , and computer progs will merge the two to give supposedly perfectly exposed shots with detail in shadow and highlight areas.

for someone who wants to learn the ropes so to speak , my advice , as a very enthusiastic amateur , is to get a camera that allows manual control of shutter and aperture , and experiment.

your best bet would be to buy a second hand manual camera with a 28mm or 50mm lens and just take lots of shots. only 2 controls to worry about and its the best way to understand exposure and depth of field. those old manual cameras can do anything a fully automatic one can do , only you have total control over it. its a great way to learn.

if you have already bought digital , then you will probably get confused by all the options and buttons. most digitals have few options for control of shutter and aperture.

to help with exposure over a wide range of brightness try using a grey graduated filter or a grad neutral density filter.

in thailand its hard to get decently exposed outdoor shots between 9am and 4pm due to the great range of brightness between shadow and highlight. either the shadows will be black areas with no detail or the bright areas will be white areas with no detail , you cant have detail in both. , flash can help a bit though.

if its outdoor landscape photography you enjoy , then dawn and dusk are the best times.

if its taking real life shots that you enjoy , then just snap away and let the subject matter speak for itself and dont worry too much about correct exposure etc.

try and understand some of ansell adams zone techniques for exposure and the mysteries of reflected and incidental light readings.

look at books of photographs by famous and not so famous photographers and try and work out what makes the photo so powerful , national geographic magazine is a good source of inspiration too.

turn your digital camera on to black and white setting for a while and if you have any manual control over it then experiment with exposures and aperture settings.

if you have a digital slr , then try and stick to one simple lens , a 50mm say , rather than complicate your choices with a zoom or a bagful of lenses.

but if you have a film camera , then learn on that.

i tend to think that digital manipulation is akin to cheating , unless you are inputting obvious special effects , and other than cropping i do as little manipulation as possible.

keep it simple.

enjoy , i'm sorry that so many replies to this query have done so little to encourage.